Re: What is BMW doing?

September 27th, 2017, 6:46 am

Mr-914
I'd like a GTi wagon. The R is too much power and AWD is inefficient. Although, it would make winter driving more fun.
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

September 27th, 2017, 10:42 am

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
Don't be so Canadian Ray! :lol: I made the mistake of driving the R and GTI back to back...

September 27th, 2017, 11:28 am

Mr-914
I don't think it's Canadian. Canadians (at least the French ones) seem attracted to the cheapest car possible (Mitsubishi Mirage, no AC) or something with a German badge.

I really miss my Miata. 185 tires and 115 hp. I felt every move. As I've said before, I want a 4 door RWD sedan with 185 tires and 115 hp:)
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

August 24th, 2018, 9:00 am

rkuchinsky
Coroflot: 33013
Mazda? Fiat? Mercedes SL? Certainly doesn't look like a BMW. Not a terrible looking car, just totally all wrong in proportion (long nose, short overhangs) for the z4 and lots of really weird surfaces and bits going on.

First z4 was really nice and the last one I think was one of the nicest hard top convertibles out there.

ugh.

R

The Directive Collective
http://www.directivecollective.com

August 24th, 2018, 11:21 am

slippyfish
full self-realization
full self-realization
Coroflot: 2572
So. Many. Vents.

Could the proportions RK mentions have something to do with the co-development of the Toyota Supra?

The first gen Z3 Coupe hardtop still kills me, especially in M version. There's a silver one sitting at the German auto shop up the street next to a Gallardo and a green 911 and it totally looks the part.
“Traveling through hyperspace isn't like dusting crops, boy."

http://www.superformer.com
http://www.coroflot.com/skhid

August 24th, 2018, 1:17 pm

yo
Administration
Administration
Hmmm, definitely not intended for me. I loved the quirky uniqueness and proportions of the first z4. I thought the second was very sleek and well executed but it lost a lot of the personality of the first. This one is like an all caps email. Every little bit is just shouting for my attention. BMW used to have some of the shortest overhangs, especially the front overhang (just look at the z3!). This one seems puffy in pictures. I’ll have to check it out in person.

August 24th, 2018, 1:24 pm

rkuchinsky
slippyfish wrote:
August 24th, 2018, 11:21 am
So. Many. Vents.

The first gen Z3 Coupe hardtop still kills me, especially in M version. There's a silver one sitting at the German auto shop up the street next to a Gallardo and a green 911 and it totally looks the part.
100% yes! So weird, but so cool.

EDIT- also, I think most ragtops look terrible, and this fixes the problem nicely ;)

R

The Directive Collective

August 24th, 2018, 1:26 pm

rkuchinsky
Also, just because this might be nicest car BMW has made in the last 40 years.

R
The Directive Collective

August 24th, 2018, 2:20 pm

slippyfish
full self-realization
full self-realization
Coroflot: 2572
Always nice looking at that Z8. Nice history to that shape too. Rarely seen in the wilds.

The quirkiness of that hardtop Z3 reminds me a little of what the Harold did to his Jaguar XK-E. If I ever get one of those Z3 Coupes (which is not completely far-fetched as its one of the car-things that my wife and I agree on) I'm getting vanity plates HRLDMDE

“Traveling through hyperspace isn't like dusting crops, boy."

http://www.superformer.com
http://www.coroflot.com/skhid

August 24th, 2018, 3:44 pm

yo
Administration
Administration
slippyfish wrote:
August 24th, 2018, 2:20 pm
The quirkiness of that hardtop Z3 reminds me a little of what the Harold did to his Jaguar XK-E. If I ever get one of those Z3 Coupes (which is not completely far-fetched as its one of the car-things that my wife and I agree on) I'm getting vanity plates HRLDMDE
Like button on that one! :-)

Also, side note, when I first saw Harold and Maude when I was younger I thought how depressing it was to schedule and end date to your life... now that I'm older I kind of get it... depressing thought, but happy Friday!

August 24th, 2018, 3:46 pm

yo
Administration
Administration
rkuchinsky wrote:
August 24th, 2018, 1:26 pm
Also, just because this might be nicest car BMW has made in the last 40 years.

R
This and that early 200's Aston Vantage have got to be Henrik Fisker's best work. The z8 is a thing of beauty to me. The interior got a bit too retro, but it is still fantastic... also z3 coupe has aged so well. Are we getting old (as in stuff was better in my day!) or did we live through the second golden age of car design?

August 27th, 2018, 9:34 am

rkuchinsky
yo wrote:
August 24th, 2018, 3:46 pm
Are we getting old (as in stuff was better in my day!) or did we live through the second golden age of car design?
[/quote]

Yes and yes.

R
The Directive Collective

August 27th, 2018, 12:57 pm

NURB
The Z8 is one of my all-time favorites from BMW. That and the E46 M3 in Laguna Seca Blue with the cinnamon interior.
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

August 27th, 2018, 2:25 pm

Cyberdemon
full self-realization
full self-realization
While I can always wax nostalgic about old BMW's I'm not put off by their current designs. The M2 is great looking (although I don't love their new theme of connecting the kidney grilles, but realize that all of the sensing hardware they are putting in eventually needs to go somewhere), the new M5 looks perfect to me with the exception of the soft bottom edge of the tail light and the shift knob, and I think the Z4 looks solid in a day and age when there are very few competitors in the hairdresser car space.

I almost convinced my wife that I should get an E46 M3 recently since they are appreciating in value these days, but clearly she was not sold.

August 27th, 2018, 8:40 pm

Mr-914
That Z4 is a hot mess. I thought the last one was boring, but in person was a beautiful car. Hopefully, the photos don't do this justice either.

I do think that 1997 (Mk IV Golf)-2014 (when many automakers went off the rails, ie Lexus, Acura, Nissan) was a golden age. Today, so many cars either don't try at all or try way too much.
Ray Jepson