Re: Geneva Auto Show

March 6th, 2013, 11:03 pm

holtag
step four
step four
Loving that Pininfarina Sergio concept as well! Same goes for the Disco Volante. And I think the glass windshield on the X-Bow looks great, gives it a real purposeful silhouette. The LaFerrari is real nice, except for the nose, which is so much sharper than the rest of the car it seems to belong to the Lambo. :(

Not so much in love with the Rolls, no elegance there. The Spyker is cringe-worthy, it starts out well enough at the front but by the time you get to it's ass... Very unfortunate about the Alfa C4 headlights. I also realized how derivative it is of the Alfa-Sbarro Diva (http://www.alfaamore.com/models/diva).

Seems like a pretty good show so far, all in all!

March 7th, 2013, 2:31 am

engio
full self-realization
full self-realization
I liked the Kia concept. Feels kinda SAABish.

March 7th, 2013, 8:41 am

Dov144
step two
step two
I agree, really like this Kia concept, fun stuff. Did anyone actually attend the show?

March 7th, 2013, 9:06 am

bngi
full self-realization
full self-realization
Coroflot: 128663
Just noticed the sidemirrors on LaFerrari.. ouch!..

http://bilder2.egmont.se/cache/cb/cb66/ ... 395724552e
Björn Bengtsson
iddqdse

"the unicorns do not look realistic enough"

March 7th, 2013, 11:47 am

wallflower
step four
step four
I was thinking something similar about the Lambo mirrors. I've never noticed mirror stalks leaning forward that much. Pretty unique & dynamic looking I thought.

March 7th, 2013, 3:32 pm

Thornhill
The Veneno is hilarious and at the same time in perfect alignment with Lamborghini's current brand. That's more of a criticism on the state of affairs than of the Veneno. Forgettable stuff. Somewhere Ferruccio is blasting around in his Islero shaking his head.

Decent effort by Ferrari, though the P4/5 (tail clearly wagging the dog in this case) is much more of a looker. Perhaps Pininfarina should have been involved. Come to think of it, maybe marketing should have been farmed out too...
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (92.71 KiB) Viewed 3885 times

March 7th, 2013, 8:23 pm

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
Honda Civic Tourer Concept... a nice Honda version of a Toyota Matrix. I think the packaging on this type of car is really great. Maximum space in a small footprint. Too bad they never really catch on here. My wife had a first gen Matrix. It was pig to drive, the materials were cheap as tissue paper, but it fit a lot of stuff and got great gas milage.

Then there is this. I know a lot of you may not like this car, but I kind of love it.

March 7th, 2013, 9:13 pm

Traftos
step two
step two
" the most successful designs come down to three or four lines" I love that quote, so true. Perhaps why I loathe all lambos minus the gallardo. :D

March 7th, 2013, 9:52 pm

Dov144
step two
step two
LOVE THIS QUOTE! off to sketch thanks for the videos

March 8th, 2013, 8:33 am

Mr-914
It comes down to 3-4 lines that can only be understood in an orthographic side projection drawing of the car. Reminds me of shoe design that looks great in the tech package sent to the factory and horrible on an actual boot.

Perhaps they have a more well-thought out process and just got caught out on video.
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

March 8th, 2013, 8:48 am

NURB
Agreed. I think that was marketing trying to make their process a bit more magical.
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

March 8th, 2013, 8:52 am

mo-i
full self-realization
full self-realization
Well, it turned out very "nice" indeed, my dear. (stiff upper lipp and all)
I am not young enough to know everything.
Oscar Wilde

March 8th, 2013, 12:39 pm

Mr-914
I can't help but ask: The giant front over hang on these cars doesn't bother anyone? They look oddly proportioned in profile, not to mention what will happen at the first speed bump.
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

March 8th, 2013, 4:11 pm

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
You have to extend the overhang to get that really round top view. It looks odd in orthographic side view (which no one but us looks at ;-) ), but great in 3/4 which is how cars are generally viewed. Ferraris for example have always had massive front overhangs.

That said, i generally am a fan of tidier overhangs, Not as tight as BMW maybe. The a few of the last gens of BMWs have had unbelievably short front overhangs. Kind of amazing actually. Seems like theirs are growing as well. I assume because of the new EU crash tests?

March 8th, 2013, 5:07 pm

Cyberdemon
full self-realization
full self-realization
Not sure how much the overhang has to do with crash testing...the pedestrian impact laws drove the nose of the car up a few inches though. As a result every proportion winds up growing and I think that's just one of the outcomes.