Re: Detroit show 2012

January 19th, 2012, 10:16 pm

rkuchinsky
Coroflot: 33013
I hate cabs but the mercedes b class (or r) I think us the only one that is worth even looking at if I were looking at a van. Everything else looks like a van. This gm one looks like a bad sketch.

R
The Directive Collective
http://www.directivecollective.com

January 20th, 2012, 12:21 am

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
I wonder why they would be influenced by the Hyundai form language? It is called the 700, seems like it should with with the 300 form language.

January 20th, 2012, 2:59 pm

Lmo
You must be referring to the Elantra Touring? The Hyundai H1 is still a van; a true "work" vehicle.

Both the B and R class Benz' look more like tall sta-wags than vans ... to me anyway. The M-B Vito and Sprinter (really tall) are truer to the van genre. Maybe I'm picking nits...

The c700 and the Benetti yacht; to my eyes, are a random collections of amorphous lines, with no strength-of-purpose to their form. At l;east the Benetti alludes to rolling ocean... sort of...
Lew Morris
"It's what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

New to the boards? Please read before you post ->Discussion Boards Posting Standards

January 22nd, 2012, 3:49 pm

Mr-914
Some observations from my local show. No big releases, obviously.

The good: Ford and GM. Wow. I know it will be another 5-10 years until people realize it, but these guys are now in the lead of design and quality control.

The new Chevy Malibu was stunning. It reminded me of the 2nd gen CTS in that the first gen was nice, but the second gen doesn't leave anything to chance.

Hyundai's almost there. There is just something cheap feeling about the Elantra and Accent. Genesis, Equos and Sonata are stunning pieces. I hadn't sat in a Genesis sedan before. The luxury makes should be very worried.

The bad and the ugly: Honda. Wow, is that a horrible line up. I can't believe how cheap the Civic interior feels now. Hard to believe that they just updated that car. It feels like something from the '90s.

Lexus. Geez are those some ugly grilles. I understand the desire to be noticed, but those are hit with the ugly stick guys. On the other hand, no other car cut out the sound of the show like the Lexus ES. Amazingly quiet.

Mercedes is going to get a call out, but just for one detail. The computer knob in the B class made the sound of a twig snapping when it was turned. I wouldn't mention it in a Kia, but this is Mercedes! They have a reputation and they need to defned it everywhere. Don't stick some '80's GM switch gear in a car and think no one will notice!

The average: BMW. Yeah, all the cars now feature classy surfacing but at the cost of excitement. I tried the new 3 series. I thought it was supposed to be bigger? Feels very cramped inside.

Range Rover Evoque. I know this thing is a hit and will probably save the company, but it's horrible to sit in. The sides and front are so high! I felt like I fell down a well! Beautiful car though. Concept car looks.

Toyota. New Camry refresh and Corolla are forgetable. I don't think anyone knows they updated them. Prius minivan is pretty cool though. No one looking at it, but it is nicely finished with some neat textures. I think Toyota should just stick to making Prius and drop everything else. Also notable was the iCK. Long line for that one.
Salon2012_03.JPG
Ford Focus Electric charging gear. Some ID at an auto show
Focus_seat.jpg
Ford Focus seat pattern
Focus_seat.jpg (52.8 KiB) Viewed 1817 times
Focus_door-panel.jpg
Ford Focus door panel. I still love the graphic element of this.
Focus_door-panel.jpg (103.24 KiB) Viewed 1817 times
Merc-B_centre-stack.jpg
Merc B class centre stack. Neat dashboard texture, how did they do it?!?!
Merc-B_centre-stack.jpg (81.25 KiB) Viewed 1817 times
Volvo_centre-stack-material.jpg
Volvo centre stack. Neat texture.
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

July 25th, 2012, 10:18 pm

kawasa
rkuchinsky wrote:I hate cabs but the OEM Mercedes parts b class (or r) I think us the only one that is worth even looking at if I were looking at a van. Everything else looks like a van. This gm one looks like a bad sketch.

R
^ I do agree with you on that. I saw it on pictures and that is the only thing that I like compared to others. Well their design was quite new but it didn't get me interested at all.