Ekso and Ideo - A real Exoskeleton for Rehabilitation

Really interesting project from a startup named Ekso. See the end of the video (12:52) for shots of some of the famed ideo research that is informing their product. Very inspiring goals I think.

p.s. not really sure what sub forum this fits into

Previously known as Elegs

This is for assisted walking, but I find the design and the structural placement to be more interesting.

These are wonderful technologies and I applaud their development for helping disabled people to become more mobile.

The aesthetic handling of the materials and shapes and finishes on the Ekso bionics communicate a piece of military hardware, and I find that limiting.

I didn’t see anyone whose was (apparently) afflicted by a physical handicap using the device. I find the last fifteen seconds of the video telling (workers on an assembly line); relieving the stress and strain of repetitive motion on an assembly line is a valid use.
But I don’t see this device being of much value to someone bound to a wheelchair; too much exertion required to mount it, and a “normal” sense of balance required to walk with it (a sense often lost/dampened with the long term disabled).

In fact [u]here is Honda’s official take on the device[/u].

Honda’s second experimental walking assist device helps support body weight to reduce the load on the user’s
legs while walking, going up and down stairs, and in a semi-crouching position. This could lead to reduced fatigue and less
physical exertion.

Honda’s other Walking Assist project would appear to be aimed at those with reduced strength and mobility

The aesthetic handling of the materials and shapes and finishes on the Ekso bionics communicate a piece of military hardware …

Perhaps. But beauty is only skin deep, paint either of the Honda devices olive drab and see how they look.

The Berkeley Bionics stuff is the real deal. There are some pretty amazing videos of people moving around on two feet after being wheelchair bound.