New London Bus

Something similar: Patrick Jouin’s sanisette public toilette for Paris.

From what I understand, the brief was to redesign the public toilets in the classic city. Something flashy and different for difference sake would never have worked. I think he executed it quite well… reflects the old and the new with a good balance

Travismo: Looking at those two concepts, the final one is a winner.

I agree the winning two entries aren’t as well done and polished as the final (its surprising how much it changed) but I appreciate the struggle between balancing the old and the new, which is why I posted them.

My $.02: I prefer the evolution of other designs, such as the mini, that I feel add less new elements to the design like the diagonal glass that are so prominent on the ends. IMHO, I don’t think they look bad - just that they don’t have as much reference in the former design (and I do like the angled glass).

Has anyone seen any interior shots or renders from the bus? Would be interesting to see how that was done.

Any one seen a side by side of new vs. old? The new feels so much larger than the old routemaster…

I read on autoblog it is just a bit bigger.

new Heatherwick bus launched today…
http://www.designweek.co.uk/editorial-the-story-behind-the-boris-bus/3034096.article
Heatherwic_482.jpg

More London bus photos from today. I really like it.
120302-routemaster-1a.photoblog600.jpg

Thanks for the update. That one ist really top notch work. Congrats to Boris
and all involved into the project. Getting something that successful out of
a state run structure seems unheard of. pretty amazing - amazingly pretty.

mo-i

Yes, it’s amazing a state run structure introduced this bus. This structure’s design process should be studied and success duplicated for government agencies. This is the type of product most government agencies produce.

This structure’s design process should be studied and success duplicated for government agencies. This is the type of product most government agencies produce.

Nice bus, but not every vehicle needs to look like Colani touched it.

With respect, it’s a postal delivery van… they seldom exceed 50mph. Unlike public transportation, no one bases their choice of mail carrier on what they drive. The public is paying for it, so as long as the carrier is safe, and his immediate task is facilitated (loading and delivering the mail), why should it be anything other than a box on wheels?

Chevrolet/Grumman’s LLV (Long Life Vehicle) was built to satisfy a USPS contract specification for extreme longevity (30 years), tight-quarters maneuverability, initial cost, cost of operation, and serviceability. The first one entered service in 1987, and there are upwards of 150,000 of these in the U.S. and Canada.

I think the LLV was an honest solution a “customer’s” request. Many are being upgraded to electric drive, but they are obviously dated, and due for replacement. The sad fact is, with the U.S.P.S. being expected to lose $7 billion dollars this year, it can hardly continue to afford to service them, let alone replace them all for $5.8 billion.

You may remember what preceded it

You know I am “Moonlighting” as a business guy, so let met get the numbers straight:

150.000 of these vehicles cost 5,8 BILLION to replace, right?

That would equal 38.667 (tax) Dollars on every purchase.

Get a Nissan Cube instead.

mo-i

Good design helps drive FedEx sales. FedEx is making billions while the U.S.P.S is doing the opposite in profits. Bad for hard working employees of U.S.P.S. FedEx puts design at the forefront not the backburner. I like the post office and have the industrial design stamps framed and on my office wall. The future of shipping - FedEx mail truck going into service soon.

I’ve never seen that ugly little LLV. Only Canada Post trucks I’ve seen are these-

R

maybe someone explained to to someone…

Richard: I think it depends on routes. Here in Montreal, mail is delivered by foot. The post office uses those bigger vans to transport big bags of mail around to neighborhood drop boxes. I imagine they use the smaller vans on rural and suburban routes where the population density is very low.

I would ole to have the opportunity to design one of these vehicles. I actually prefer the folded riveted sheet metal solutions. Something more honest about them. Reminds me of an old Land Rover on the Sahara. All you need to fix those babies is a mallet and a wrench. I think a sheet metal solution could be very designedly IF done right… Not the bread box theory have now!

That said, a practicality standpoint, I agree with moi, I’m sure Nissan woul do a stripped modded Cube with only one seat for them.

I agree with yo. New ones look over designed to me. I don’t see why it has that asymmetrical look to it other than the design figured they can. New ones look like any other new tour kind of bus. Certainly not at all timeless, iconic, or say London like the old ones. Not terrible but just not great.

R

Nice mail truck yo. Interesting the way you tuck things away in your head… … :wink:

You don’ t think Nissan would throw something like this at them? The NV200

But, then there’s always these: (which look 10 times worse in person than they do in photos) The NV Cargo