Re: GM rebirth watch

January 12th, 2010, 10:15 am

NURB
That Granite concept is total hotness. I don't even care that 20" rims with tiny rubber tires are completely impractical these days. It's a beautiful concept. I also love that there's no B pillar and you can get in the way back from the rear doors. Nice.
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

January 12th, 2010, 1:49 pm

Cyberdemon
full self-realization
full self-realization
This thread needs more CTS-V Coupe.

That is all.

January 12th, 2010, 2:05 pm

NURB
Chris Haar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

January 12th, 2010, 5:04 pm

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
NURB wrote:That Granite concept is total hotness. I don't even care that 20" rims with tiny rubber tires are completely impractical these days. It's a beautiful concept. I also love that there's no B pillar and you can get in the way back from the rear doors. Nice.
Agreed, that thing is nice! Did you see the interior? Super nice. The Caddy XTS is pretty good.

January 13th, 2010, 8:31 am

NURB
The interior is great, every thing about it is great. I'm also glad they used the GMC badge instead of Chevy. They're heading in the right direction.
Chris Haar

January 25th, 2010, 6:45 am

mo-i
full self-realization
full self-realization
Hey guys,

can somebody enlighten me on this one please: What is the difference (differenciation) between the two
new BUICK Models? Why do they have the Regal and the LaCrosse?

First I thought the LaCrosse was the americanized version of the Insignia.

But now they also do the Insignia and just call it the Regal (why not Insignia)

(where are the ventiports?)

They also have nearly the same MRSP. ? IF they sold the LaCrosse with a benchseat it would be a little clearer. The Regal is meant to be a bit sportier? Does this make sense? Keen to see how GM will differenciate them in the marketing pitch.

All the best.

yours mo-i
Last edited by mo-i on January 25th, 2010, 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am not young enough to know everything.
Oscar Wilde

January 25th, 2010, 8:20 am

Mr-914
Mo-i: Does GM ever do something logical?

I think the thought is that the La Crosse will appeal to the more traditional Buick buyer. It has a V6 only, and is not sporty at all. The Regal will only be offered with four cylinders and has a manual option, if I recall correctly. The Regal will (hopefully) appeal to the Acura/Lexus crowd. We'll have to wait and see.

On a side note, I went over the La Crosse with a buddy of mine last week at the car show. Really nice! Everything that opened (glove box, trunk) had a nice heavy damped feeling to the way it functioned. The interior was well detailed with nice stitching on the dash, and three different colors/textures. I was very impressed.

January 25th, 2010, 9:28 am

dziner82
step four
step four
mo-i wrote:Hey guys,

They also have nearly the same MRSP. ? IF they sold the LaCrosse with a benchseat it would be a little clearer. The Regal is meant to be a bit sportier? Does this make sense? Keen to see how GM will differenciate them in the marketing pitch.

All the best.

yours mo-i

The MSRP thing bugged me too, i thought the lacrosse price was ok, but expected the regal to be a decent amount less, the fact that price wise they sit right on top of each other doesn't really make sense to me. :?

April 30th, 2010, 4:22 pm

MoShake
step three
step three
Sangyup lee.... now at VW Group Cali Design Center
stingray-concept-7.jpg
Corvette-Stingray-Concept-Sketch-by-Sangyup-Lee-lg.jpg
Corvette-Stingray-Concept-Sketch-by-Sangyup-Lee-lg.jpg (119.3 KiB) Viewed 2944 times
chevrolet-corvette-stingray-concept-3.jpg

May 2nd, 2010, 1:59 pm

Electroflux
step four
step four
I actually like that. It's futuristic but far more in line with the classic look than the current ones!

May 17th, 2010, 8:22 am

NURB
Looks like things are getting better over there:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/18/busin ... ?src=busln

However, I've now seen a number of new Camaro's on the road lately (nice weather brings 'em out) and I can't say enough bad about them. It's easily one of the worst looking cars I've seen in years. Maybe if it were 25% smaller (like the old Camaro) it wouldn't be so bad. But it really looks like a Transformer, and not in a good way.
Chris Haar

May 18th, 2010, 8:34 am

dziner82
step four
step four
NURB wrote:
However, I've now seen a number of new Camaro's on the road lately (nice weather brings 'em out) and I can't say enough bad about them. It's easily one of the worst looking cars I've seen in years. Maybe if it were 25% smaller (like the old Camaro) it wouldn't be so bad. But it really looks like a Transformer, and not in a good way.
totally disagree with you man! i think i can see where you are coming from though, i do think the edgyness of its lines are perhaps a bit extreme, and i imagine will get softened up in next gen, but i still get as excited when i see one on the road now as i did when i saw the concept car at the auto show. but i think its one of those like it or hate it car designs, its just that i haven't heard many people hate it... from the outside that is.

May 18th, 2010, 8:50 am

asango
step four
step four
dziner82 wrote:
NURB wrote:
totally disagree with you man! i think i can see where you are coming from though, i do think the edgyness of its lines are perhaps a bit extreme, and i imagine will get softened up in next gen, but i still get as excited when i see one on the road now as i did when i saw the concept car at the auto show. but i think its one of those like it or hate it car designs, its just that i haven't heard many people hate it... from the outside that is.
I prefer the Challenger from a pure style standpoint, its much more resolved IMO.

May 18th, 2010, 9:13 am

rkuchinsky
Coroflot: 33013
NURB wrote:Looks like things are getting better over there:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/18/busin ... ?src=busln

Totally agree. It is the size and massing that is what is terrible. Design is OK, but is just like a toy in overall size and proportions. Unfortunately most cars these days have similar issues, though perhaps not as pronounced as the Camaro and other american cars.

Compare a new 911 with a 1960's 911 and you'll see the same issue, but how much better it can be handled.

R
The Directive Collective
http://www.directivecollective.com

May 27th, 2010, 8:38 am

dziner82
step four
step four
asango wrote:
dziner82 wrote:
NURB wrote:
I prefer the Challenger from a pure style standpoint, its much more resolved IMO.
asango,
i really like that challenger as well, to me the issue with that car is its price and performace when compared to the camaro and mustang (both v6 and v8), but yes i always do a double take when i see them on the road, they look great!