January 27th, 2007, 2:37 am

Scott Bennett
full self-realization
full self-realization
If you were molding this, I would throw some spiky nubbins on the bottom surface (like what they have on the bottom of those plastic tray style floor mats). It wouldn't go anywhere then.

If you use that idea, I want half a point. :)

January 27th, 2007, 12:03 pm

molested_cow
full self-realization
full self-realization
Scott Bennett wrote:If you were molding this, I would throw some spiky nubbins on the bottom surface (like what they have on the bottom of those plastic tray style floor mats). It wouldn't go anywhere then.

If you use that idea, I want half a point. :)

No you won't get half a point, or any point, because all floor mats already have those nibbins on the under side of the mat. So clipping onto those will help prevent unwanted slidings.

I look at this design as a modular system, not just a cup holder. I love modular designs, can't help it. I'm cranking out a few illustrations, maybe I'll post them later in the day.

January 28th, 2007, 12:49 am

molested_cow
full self-realization
full self-realization
Alright, here's a concept for the modular system that I was thinking about.

It is basically a common base that clips onto the floor mat, and you can have different items mounted onto it.

First is the cupholder

Then the thrash can

And the storage compartment

The storage compartment is for drivers who drive alone(which includes many of us). This is a derivation from my school project where I was trying to explore storage space for the driver in the same situation.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v330/unrelated/maize/

Just follow the file numbering sequence. It's supposed to be a 2 page spread for each pic.

January 28th, 2007, 10:55 am

jon_winebrenner
Coroflot: 44466
Irritatingly nice sketches cow.....meant in the most complementary way.

Do you use templates and straight edges while you sketch?

January 28th, 2007, 12:27 pm

molested_cow
full self-realization
full self-realization
Thanks!

I use straight edges and french curves only on the final lines, as well as to construct those rough perspective guidelines. I don't have elipse guides.

January 28th, 2007, 1:16 pm

Lmo
Irritatingly nice sketches cow.....meant in the most complementary way.
Indeed.
Lew Morris
"It's what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

New to the boards? Please read before you post ->Discussion Boards Posting Standards

January 28th, 2007, 3:49 pm

Mr-914
I love that idea of creating more storage space for the driver in the passenger footwell. I can see a great product opportunity there. It's nice how you made that mesh on top so that, if the passenger doesn't have soggy boots, they could still sit and be comfy in the car.

The sketches are great btw. I could only tell you didn't have elipse templates on the second glance. The marker work is really nice. I always have the problem of my marker lines being to visible. That's fixed when I use PS instead.

January 29th, 2007, 11:27 am

rkuchinsky
Coroflot: 33013
GREAT sketches. love the section view with the straw.

what do you do with though when you do have a passenger for the big version? would be nice if it could store someplace a little easier. i guess you could throw it in the backseat if you have one, but something more clever like flipping around and hanging off something would ne nice.

eitherway, nice project.

R
The Directive Collective
http://www.directivecollective.com

January 29th, 2007, 1:12 pm

IDiot
full self-realization
full self-realization
like the modular idea...
any other crazy idea for modules?
phone holder, i-pass holder,...

the footwell storage is not a bad idea, but I'm having a hard time thinking of items that would really benefit from this setup outside of a rare occasion.

January 29th, 2007, 1:15 pm

IDiot
full self-realization
full self-realization
garage door opener, ...

and as always the sketches are awesome!

January 29th, 2007, 1:26 pm

molested_cow
full self-realization
full self-realization
IDiot wrote: the footwell storage is not a bad idea, but I'm having a hard time thinking of items that would really benefit from this setup outside of a rare occasion.

How often do you drive with a passenger? Or should I say how much % of the time you are driving with a passenger?

rkuchinsky wrote: what do you do with though when you do have a passenger for the big version? would be nice if it could store someplace a little easier. i guess you could throw it in the backseat if you have one, but something more clever like flipping around and hanging off something would ne nice.

If you click on the link to the project I did before, I had a floor mat sketch somewhere in the ideation section where it folds up to become a storage compartment. So when you've got your date to drive around, you can simple unfold them and turn it into a regular floor mat.

Also, that project, eventually, uses the seat back as the storage compartment. I just had to make it more complicated than it should be you know.

*edit*

Actually, I was thinking that the rack can just be placed in the trunk as a trunk storage organizer when there is a passenger.
Last edited by molested_cow on January 29th, 2007, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 29th, 2007, 1:32 pm

cg
full self-realization
full self-realization
I love the idea of repurposing the unused footwell!

Why not go all the way and fill the entire space with a molded rubbermaid-style bin? You can pull the whole bin out and throw it in the backseat if you need to. Add a lock and it's like a mini-trunk or super-glovebox! You could do the same for the backset footwells.

Uses can include:

Multi-device charging including AC outlets.
Gadget holder (ipod, gps, phone)
Laptop area, work-surface, food-surface
Cupholders
Food, refigerator
Trash
Briefcase/bag holder
Water dispenser
Single-serve pod coffee maker with thermal mug

January 29th, 2007, 2:57 pm

molested_cow
full self-realization
full self-realization
Haha, sounds like you want an RV!!!

Well, in terms of userability, my concern is the convenience for the driver, afterall, it was designed for the driver. What I mean by this is, I want the product to be accessible by the driver from his driving position, therefore didn't want to create something which he needs to get up, walk over to the other side, pop the trunk lid and etc.

It's hard, but that was my goal.

The storage rack doesn't fulfil that goal, but I was kinda "afraid" to create an all out product that takes over the passenger space entirely. Car interior accessory should be, IMO, light and compact. I also want to discourage leaving items that can get thrown around in the car in case of emergency.

Your proposal is more like CONVERTING the passenger space into an entirely different utility, more like a mobile work station or office. But it will be cool for business people on trips.

Also, having a closed container always attract unwanted attentions, especially in cities like Detroit.

January 29th, 2007, 3:35 pm

Aaron_L
Are those honda prelude floor mats? Around an '88?

January 29th, 2007, 3:49 pm

molested_cow
full self-realization
full self-realization
Aaron_L wrote:Are those honda prelude floor mats? Around an '88?
'97

Hasn't changed much I suppose.