Ceramic Lemon Squeezer

A few years ago I asked around here for tips on creating this product:

I couldn’t find a suitable manufacturing technique at that time, but I finally found a way to create it in ceramics. Did some first tests myself to see if it works and I am working with a professional ceramist for the next version. I am currently looking if there is an audience for a small production run. Any critique or tips on the design is welcome!

First I want to say thanks for posting and I applaud all the effort that has gone into this!

My feedback doesn’t have to do with the design so much as I’m wondering if you have built out a business case for this? What are you goals for the business?

Few quick questions- What stops the juice dripping down the back side and not into the bowl? Why size is it? In the render it’s huge compared to the lemon. Totally different in the pic. Question 2 may answer question 1…

R

[ Deleted ]

I still think you should take the advice to use investment casting with a 3-D print. This is much more commonly available these days too.

I also think it looks like you need to hold it down with one hand and push with the other and could not use it one handed. Perhaps an odd desire but I think it would be something that people do.

Thanks yo! I calculated all the costs from manufacturing, packaging and fulfillment. For 100 I can probably can break even. I don’t mind aiming for that and see what comes in the future. Biggest expense is actually shipping. What my goal is? I am just curious and want to do it for the experience.

You the press it horizontally. The lemon does not go all the way to the back, so it doesn’t drip there. I get this question a lot, so I really should make a video. Thanks for the feedback!

1. A 3D printed prototype wasn’t a use for me. I cannot scale the costs of 3D printing if I want to make more.

2. I did some tests and it does not break. Ceramics can withstand quite a lot after firing.

3. I am already in talks with a ceramic studio close-by and the prices are based on that.

I cannot imagine investment casting is more cost efficient then what I do. Also the MOQ is probably way higher.

With a normal hand squeezer you also need two hands. You have to hold it, otherwise it will twist with your motion. So it isn’t really that different. See:

Does that include charging your normal rate for your time?

It doesn’t matter how much it costs if you make it in ceramic and it breaks. Not saying it definitely will, but how can you be sure?

cool form, i like it very much!
what about pips/seeds? any scope to add a strainer/filter to catch them?

I like that this could double as a sculptural object to live on a benchtop. Are you planning on selling these online? I feel like this kind of product, especially in small batch runs, would do better at local food/craft markets where you can capitalise on the ‘artisan’ production.

This is a nice project, taking an idea fully towards production and sales. That is a great experience to go through.
I wonder what type of responses you will get, in my experience people generally care a lot less about generative design aesthetics than designers do :wink:

In the first place it leads me to think that the lemon juice ends up everywhere with this design, also on your hands while you are pouring it out - since there is no clear affordance for pouring. Some nubs underneath the front part of the urchin will catch the pulp/seeds. Also the sculptural design needs work - there is little flow in the linework, it feels compressed, and it looks like a generative design feature added to a generic bowl rather than an integrated sculptural whole.

Just came across this nice project. I like it very much, but I have a couple of doubts.
You already answered one in the previous comments.

"- What stops the juice dripping down the back side and not into the bowl? Why size is it? In the render it’s huge compared to the lemon. Totally different in the pic. Question 2 may answer question 1…

R
You the press it horizontally. The lemon does not go all the way to the back, so it doesn’t drip there. I get this question a lot, so I really should make a video. Thanks for the feedback!"

The second doubt is: is it ergonomic and easy to use?

I mean, if I have to press horizontally, I am able to apply a much lower force than the one applied when pressing the lemon vertically (as in standard squeezers).

Hi everyone! It has almost been a year, but because of boredom with Covid I decided to push trough with the side project. What I learned about the comments here is people were unsure how to hold the lemon relative to the squeezer (horizontally? vertically?) and if the juice will drop to the back. That was very valuable for me to know so I can communicate the project differently in the future.

I decided to make a demonstration video and use that as often as possible if I send it to people who know nothing about the project. Thanks for the insight!

If people want to see it is action, the Kickstarter link is:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/studiokhouw/urchin-a-unique-ceramic-lemon-squeezer?ref=brn64q

Cool! I am still convinced that to sell it on larger scale, the sculpture has to be perfected at least where the lines are very smoothly flowing. You know what I mean, to be displayed in our kitchens it just has to be perfect or it will disappear behind the doors until needed. But it’s very nice that the first series is done by hand! I am a bit less critical now seeing it in action that it will function alright, even though the seeds will still come out with the downpour. So people are going to put their fingers or a spoon in front, a few nubs on the spout perhaps will fix the issue. Unless lemons are genetically modified to be seedless which here in the Netherlands is not the case. If you can provide a colored glazing (black/blue/light blue/yellow/orange…) I will be a backer!