Bike tool/bottle opener Kickstarter- Bring on the critique!

Thanks for your comments NURB. If you already have several bottle openers maybe you don’t need this tool. I like that it is easily accessible even if I’m not on my bike. Re: concern over the tool head length- I’ve decided to increase 2mm based on your and many others who have shared your concern.

To speak a little bit about the process- I used Shapeways to make stainless steel models for testing. It took a few tries to get the opening for the bottle cap opener to be the perfect dimension to work both on and off the keyring. Initially I wanted to use titanium and even had a prototype made but it ended up the wrong material for such a small tool. Without getting too technical, the problem had to do with a reaction that occurs with titanium within the lost wax ceramic shell. Also the weight saving affordance that titanium offers is negligible compared to steel with such a small tool. I speak a little bit more about the process in an article for solidsmack.com which hopefully will be going up week. I’ll post a link. Thanks again.

The steel used in Shapeways tools holds up decently, similar to a 420 stainless, but it is infused with 30% bronze so the production part in hardened and tempered 416 will be much stronger. I will be using a company that specializes in investment casting for small parts. They use vacuum assist technology to retain a high level of detail. I realize casting is unusual for tool heads but it can be done. See the Parktool MT-1 which is similar (whether you want to believe me or not I saw it after thinking of the Ringtool concept ha).
bc811f78eb7b64d4b30f3ffa3dd725e4a635902c_430x390.jpg

Yes, a few other people have shared your concern. All I can say is that I’ve had it in my pocket for a about a year now and never been poked. It’s really no sharper than the keys which are already in your pocket. The production part will be have a blasted finish which I expect to knock off any excessive sharpness.

Thanks for the comments. You are right, it will not be as comfortable as a full size wrench ect.- it’s really not meant to be a replacement but rather something you have on you in the case of emergencies.

I see your point about the video, in retrospect probably I would agree it sounds a little hoaky but I can’t change that now. I just didn’t want to limit the audience to bikers exclusively. Someone may enjoy the tool if only for its bottle cap opener and phillips head. This is my first kickstarter so I am learning a lot of do’s and don’ts so I appreciate your honesty.

Agree, I’ve included a note about it in my project description for the sake of clarity. Thanks.

Ah, sorry to have stole your thunder! A tire lever is a cool idea. I’ve always wanted one that fits on my keychain. But not sure metal wouldn’t damage a tire/rim in use- there’s a reason why these are mostly plastic.

Sorry- didn’t see a specific question here. I would have to disagree that adding an addition hole is a more elegant solution. It was tricky but I managed to get the hole size working for the opener both on and off the keyring. I had considered an open wrench opening but there really isn’t much thickness to work with. Also wanted to steer clear of the Park tool MT-1.

I know it’s bad form as an IDer but this was designed almost elusively in CAD. It is a pretty simple idea so there really was no need for too much sketching. I’m sure there are some on here who are going to argue with me about this with me but it is was it is.

Re: finding a manufacturer, it was a very difficult process finding one here in the United States but I was determined to do so. I think I requested quotes from about 25 companies and only 2 could do what I was asking at an economical pricepoint. Part of the problem is just the reality of which we are all well aware-many of these manufacturers simply do not exist any more. Of the few who remain, even fewer are willing to do mid-low volume consumer products. The majority who are left seem too only to deal in large scale industrial applications or contract work for the military. I hope conscience buyers will appreciate efforts to make the product as locally as possible. I believe it is worth it.

One tip I have for all designers and engineers starting out: When you find a manufacturer you like, if at all possible go visit them. You will be taken much more seriously.

It was also a learning experience with regards to manufacturing techniques. CNC was way too expensive and most casters can’t get high levels of detail on small parts. I was using Thomas net and google to search. I kept a spreadsheet to keep track of who I had contacted/ responses/prices/helpfulness (I want to remember who NOT to contact in the future, when I have more projects-some companies were really awful) Thank god sites like http://www.makersrow.com are popping up now to make the process less painful for designers and engineers.

And I am probably just going to use old fashioned excel spread sheets for inventory management. Suggestions are welcome!

I’m almost embarrassed to show you this very early prototype because it is so crude and the bottle opening is WILDLY off but I was so excited to test it that I totally jumped the gun and sent it off to get printed.

But here it is because you’re all family…

Agreed that the comparison to something people are familiar with is a good one. I’ve been telling people that is the same grade of steel used in Leatherman’s multitools (which I’ve been told by my manufacturer) but I thought I might get in trouble for using their name. You’ve convinced me to put in and I suppose I can always take it out later if it ruffles any feathers. Thanks for the advice.

I just want to thank everyone for all of the extremely helpful comments, suggestions, and support. It is not easy doing this by yourself and it really means a lot. Sorry I had been so late in responding- managing a kickstarter campaign takes up a lot of time! BTW if you have any questions about the process feel free to shoot.

Best,
Jonathan

Gotcha. Something that I miss out on running only one type of pedal that is a 6mm.

Jonathan,

Great job at responding to the questions. Love the original sintered tool, maybe not functional, but an attractive piece of metal. Thanks for the insight into the bronze infused material character.

Good luck on your project.

That’s all I was curious about. Thanks.

I can picture a placeholder for “YOUR LOGO HERE.” :wink:

Someone made a larger one, and it is titanium:

There are plenty of excellent multi-tool options that can fit in a small bike bag. That being said, what about a champagne bottle with an emergency valve for quick tire fills :astonished:

But where is the bottle opener?

But where is the bottle opener?

Any surface on that thing could be used to open a bottle.

J

Actually, you don’t even need it…

I prefer the method that leaves shards of glass somewhere nearby.