Newly Released Work (All Product Types)

Just hit! EEEEKKK!! Can’t stand myself!

In the slowly evolving world of ceiling fans, I really think this will make some waves!

Really proud parent right now, and so happy to have spent the last 2 years working with Pendleton on this project!

congrats, Claire!

I worked on a suite of height adjustable sinks for a large medical product distributor here in Australia. They use them to clean endoscopes in the back of the hospital. I thought I’d use the opportunity to build in a few extra details like a ledge for the staff to rest their arms on, space for storage underneath and a shroud that they can lean on when they get tired. It also protects the underneath from splashing, which means less cleaning.

We had to find and build in a leg system and plumbing setup that would raise and lower it by 200mm.

Ditto for the accompanying packing tables that they use to inspect and package surgical equipment for sterilisation.

Nice work Andy!!!

I’d have that in my kitchen Andy! Sweet!

R

Thanks for the kind words gents. It’s been a popular choice with the client and hospitals, which is a good feeling.

This is a self project my wife and I are just about to release. I designed her a CNC’d jewelry box with a solid quartz lid for fine jewelry and reckon it has come out really well.
Cheers
Michael

Nice, Michael!

Nice work, congrats! Did you know IML is possible with fabrics as well?

Digging the Boots Jim!

Andy - love the idea of employing Height Adjustability in Industrial Apllications, do you have any more in scene type imagery for better context?

Nice Michael! Is the quartz difficult to get accurate enough to fit nicely into the base?

Funnily enough I’m rendering one out right now! I’m still waiting for a response from my former employer to see if they have any real context images. Ideally it would include a person actually using it, but photographing a product inside of a functioning hospital is a real pain in the ass. Quite literally considering what they clean in these sinks :wink:

Thanks R.

They seem to be pretty accurate with sizing and we have a test base they need to fit in before sending. It’s more difficult to get such a large piece of quartz that doesn’t break when cut to size. The reject rate from cracking is pretty high.

ralphzoontjens, it’s actually not IML! Its a custom print paper overlay on each side. But no! I did not know it was possible with fabric. I thought it was more common with plastics.

Ah, OK. Yes the fabric gets labeled to the mold through staticity. Not easy to get right. The fabric backed plastic definitely has a warm feel to it which makes it great for plastic parts that need to live in a home environment. Did you do any research on customer’s preferences or was this more technology-driven?

a piece I did for Carpenter Watches.

Love the watch, Michael! Can you share any of the process or stories of how it came to be? Looks like a super awesome project and really good embodiment of your design sense with a brand that “gets it”.

Congrats. Having your own co-branded product is really sweet! I could totally imagine a full line of MD watches with orange crowns as a signature element.

R

Thank you, Richard. I’m not telling you anything you don’t know from experience probably, but there can be a lot of tooling constraints working with a smaller brand (or sometimes a big brand as well). The budget being tight on this from both sides I didn’t think it was a good use of dollars to open up a new case tooling, mainly because I thought their exiting field watch case is so beautifully done. Look at this side view below! That constrained our sandbox to dial graphics, band design, and CMF. Going in I thought we could really change the product with just these three levers.

The dial graphics are the most obvious here. When we did this they hand’t released the Gent model yet and I hadn’t seen it, so I thought removing some or all of the numeric indicators would move it away from models M1-17. You can see some of the earlier explorations in the second video above. We kept removing elements and turning down the contrast on markers until the only things that stood out were the 12 hour indices, the ring connecting them and of course the 021c second hand.

Next was the bands. Probably because of my automotive fixation, I’ve always loved microperf. One of the factories I used to work with in China stated speccing it as Michael-perf as a bit of a joke. Carpenter hadn’t done any perfed straps so I thought this would be a good opportunity for them to open up a perf die so they could have it in the tool box for future styles.

Lastly, CMF. I wanted to go a bit dressier and really show off the generous radii of that case. So we high polished the case (much to the chagrin of my Photographer, Mike Lembke http://www.mikelembke.com, who found it a pain to photograph what is basically a chrome sphere). The matte leather straps nicely contrast that.

The story behind the MD branding, I dropped it into one of the drawings of the case back and pitched it thinking it would come off, but thankfully the client was all about it. Originally it was supposed to be a die cut chrome foil to match the case but there were some issues executing that. Hopefully for next time… there is always a next time :slight_smile:

I was up in SF for a few meetings a couple of weeks ago. I wore #01 to all of the meetings. It was really cool when in a couple of those sessions people pointed out the watch unprompted!

Thanks for sharing, MD.

I figured there were a lot of constraints given the super low batch qty and price point, but I think you did an excellent job making it different enough, yet not different for the sake be being different. I can totally see them bringing some of those features in line, and the next MD version taking it to the next level.

Nice job.

“Michael-perf”. Love it :slight_smile:

R

The second “alt” (vehicle) mode I worked on for the Thransformers Siege line just shipped.