Reebok T7.5 Folding Treadmill

May 28th, 2009, 4:06 pm

blaster701
full self-realization
full self-realization
OK, here is a project I recently completed at Reflex Design. Well, we completed it a little over a year ago, but it recently came to the market. This is a very unique folding treadmill. Comes 97% assembled in the box. It also has a great transport system when folded up.

This Video was taken at the ISPO show in Munich. This was the prototype here. Yes, it is me in the video. Anderson (who works at Reflex) is in some of the still shots. BTW, this was 100% Solidworks constructed (as is the elliptical product in the back)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZD4y0ld ... r_embedded[/youtube]

More images of the production piece and the prototype.

Last edited by blaster701 on May 28th, 2009, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 28th, 2009, 4:59 pm

Sneaky Whale
step one
step one
That is simply awesome! The design doesn't look flimsy for a home treadmill which is what strikes me first about other trainers. The folding and unfolding is so effortless and uncomplicated. It is a great piece of work!

May 29th, 2009, 1:17 pm

blaster701
full self-realization
full self-realization
Thanks Sneaky Whale!

May 29th, 2009, 1:41 pm

IDiot
full self-realization
full self-realization
Veryy Niiiiice !!!
haha

May 29th, 2009, 2:52 pm

rkuchinsky
Coroflot: 33013
nice looking product.

one question - was this designed as OEM equipment which was later branded RBK, or was it designed specifically for RBK? Just wondering how you approached the design in terms of fit with their design DNA.. it's kinda hard to tell, also given i'm not that familiar with exercise equipment (though of course know the footwear/brand).

R
The Directive Collective
http://www.directivecollective.com

May 29th, 2009, 4:15 pm

Ujay
step two
step two
Sweeeet! I love the transformation.

May 29th, 2009, 6:54 pm

blaster701
full self-realization
full self-realization
rkuchinsky wrote:nice looking product.

one question - was this designed as OEM equipment which was later branded RBK, or was it designed specifically for RBK? Just wondering how you approached the design in terms of fit with their design DNA.. it's kinda hard to tell, also given i'm not that familiar with exercise equipment (though of course know the footwear/brand).

R
R, that is a good question.

This specific product started out life as a OEM project. It was primarily for the manufacturer. They are a company that is big on innovation/design driving products. As it was finished, it became a Reebok product. This manufacturer works with the licensee of Reebok fitness products. We also worked on two lines of bikes and ellipticals that were reebok from the start. Projects go both ways in this industry.

May 29th, 2009, 7:07 pm

rkuchinsky
Coroflot: 33013
blaster701 wrote:
rkuchinsky wrote:nice looking product.

R
R, that is a good question.

This specific product started out life as a OEM project. It was primarily for the manufacturer. They are a company that is big on innovation/design driving products. As it was finished, it became a Reebok product. This manufacturer works with the licensee of Reebok fitness products. We also worked on two lines of bikes and ellipticals that were reebok from the start. Projects go both ways in this industry.
Ah, OK. Thanks for the clarification. I thought that might be the case. (even two of the different pics have different Reebok Logos). :)

I wonder, how might have you approached this differently if it was Reebok from the start? Did you find any conflict in design aesthetic/branding once the RBK brand was slapped on there?

Just curious? Obviously in this industry and many others, designs are made for OEM, and though I've never done such a project I wonder how you tackle it w.r.t. design DNA, and the like? Is there a push to make a design more generic so it can be sold under different brand? How does it affect the design process?

...sorry if I'm off on a tangent!

Anyhow, nice work!

R
The Directive Collective
http://www.directivecollective.com

May 29th, 2009, 9:07 pm

blaster701
full self-realization
full self-realization
Ah, OK. Thanks for the clarification. I thought that might be the case. (even two of the different pics have different Reebok Logos). :)
Well, with Reebok, they change their logo constantly. When we started the project, it may have been one logo. The prototype may have had another. Then, the production parts may have a different one!
I wonder, how might have you approached this differently if it was Reebok from the start? Did you find any conflict in design aesthetic/branding once the RBK brand was slapped on there?
We are currently working on a new line of Reebok product, and this has even more direction. If you look at Reebok products all over the world, there is not the strongest DNA (fitness hard goods). The license holder here is worldwide outside the US. We are working hard to pull the line together. In the US, there is another company that owns the rights. So, that makes it a little difficult.....
Just curious? Obviously in this industry and many others, designs are made for OEM, and though I've never done such a project I wonder how you tackle it w.r.t. design DNA, and the like? Is there a push to make a design more generic so it can be sold under different brand? How does it affect the design process?

...sorry if I'm off on a tangent!
We have worked hard to establish a general plan for our OEM products. They are all designed to a high standard. This seems to have had a strong impact on that OEM manufacture growing and selling.
Anyhow, nice work!
Thanks!

May 29th, 2009, 10:58 pm

jon_winebrenner
Coroflot: 44466
Was all the engineering done at Reflex as well? The folding and unfolding mechanism?

How many iterations of the prototype did you go through?

Basically, can you speak to the process a bit more?

May 30th, 2009, 12:04 pm

blaster701
full self-realization
full self-realization
Was all the engineering done at Reflex as well? The folding and unfolding mechanism?
No, it was not all completed at Reflex. The foundation for this product came from a folding/adjusting console/upright that I proposed to the manufacturer. That concept was investigated and moved ahead. A solution that I came up with for folding that concept lead to changing the upright structure (to make it less complicated). Working with the owner of the manufacturing company, together the two of us pushed the concept further. The mechanism that drives the console to fold was "engineered" at the factory. This project is a good example of working closely with a factory/manufacturer. Between Reflex and the factory, the team developed a unique product.
How many iterations of the prototype did you go through?
Two. One function test, then a second one to test revisions. The one shown here was the third produced for the show.

May 30th, 2009, 7:01 pm

SpaceCadet
step two
step two
Very Impressive! Still great to see meaningful design.
Imagination is more important than knowledge

May 31st, 2009, 8:32 pm

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
That is a pretty amazing mechanism. Cool beans.... and Ha, they are always changing their logo!

June 1st, 2009, 8:11 am

June 1st, 2009, 12:13 pm

jon_winebrenner
Coroflot: 44466
Most of my questions about the product are business based (go figure).

What is Reflex's investment? Did you do this for royalties or was this a straight up commission job?

I am constantly trying to figure out how to get my company into more "passive income" by producing - or collaborating to produce - a product. It sounds as though you were a bit more proactive in this product as opposed to someone coming to you to commission you to help them design it.