Paper mockup

November 23rd, 2018, 12:56 pm

loyflut
Coroflot: 10
Hi,

I've been trying to do some paper/cardboard mockup with the help of software the old fashion way Illustrator, or unroll shape with Rhino and unfortunately with the soft as 123D make.
But unfortunately, 123D make has been discontinued instead it has been integrated and replace by slicer for Fusion 360.
The problem is with this latest one It's not working properly on MacBook pro (maybe it's just me, don't know!).
I was wondering if anyone of you knows a soft that help to get this kind of facetting like result (cf pics)?

Thanks for your help
Screenshot 2018-11-23 at 15.34.42.png
Screenshot 2018-11-23 at 15.39.46.png

Re: Paper mockup

November 23rd, 2018, 8:33 pm

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization
Ahhh, I was just researching this for a project the other day...

Haven't tried it but unfolder looks promising if you are on the mac ( a bit pricey though ) :
https://www.unfolder.app

Also check this list in case you haven't:
https://alternativeto.net/software/ulti ... atform=mac

The unroll on Rhino might be too unwieldy for what you are trying to do, but check grasshopper ( check the tutorials), you can get control over facets and such, but it takes some experimenting and learning.

Cheers !
-K
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"Go where you are celebrated, not merely tolerated"

November 24th, 2018, 6:37 am

holtag
step four
step four
Y'all need pepakura! Google it!

November 24th, 2018, 1:22 pm

loyflut
Thanks so much guys!
I haven't properly tried it but I think Pepakura will be the one go for me.
Considering having a quick result on not only simple volume but hopefully curved shape (like a bowl shape 'what I'm trying to get for now')
Now it's a matter of time to make it work btw Rhino and Pepakura! :)

Thanks again

November 30th, 2018, 7:22 pm

cf
E91CCE1A-05F9-4A0D-9B79-7E2BA2454088.jpeg
Are there any ways to do these really crisp paper models by hand? Any special techniques? I’ve been fascinated by the paper prototypes developed by Visibility. They use a similar technique to get these crisp lines.

Thanks

December 5th, 2018, 5:05 pm

loyflut
I have no idea what specific software they use, but I'm pretty sure they might use some (illustrator, rhino, slicer, ...).
Also, their formal aesthetics is pretty basic in terms of assembled volume so it's easier to break into geometric volume
But for sure they do it by hand, folding, scalpel, glue, paper and cardboard!
But ti's very nice mockups and end product, for sure!
Maybe you could ask them?

December 6th, 2018, 10:17 am

ralphzoontjens
full self-realization
full self-realization
Coroflot: 76078
I understand the sentiment for cardboard prototypes, they have a great quality to them and clearly are intended as prototypes which elicits playful responses when testing these. However I do most of this work now using my 3D printer, it frees up many hours and construction time is comparable. For geometric shapes like you show it is not that hard to create them by hand - the challenge is to craft them professionally. First rule: no glue on the fingers, ever.

The best teacher of this is probably Joep Frens - https://cardboardmodeling1.files.wordpr ... ng-new.pdf
http://www.id-z.one
IDZone - Product Design || Visualisation || 3D Printing

December 6th, 2018, 6:53 pm

loyflut
I agree with you Idzone about using 3D printing.
But for different reasons (space, cost, pollution, speed) Cardboard/paper model are really cheap and quick to do and they have this touch simplicity that is unbeatable I think.
Cool, thanks for the link, I didn't know about Joep Frens. -> high level mock up!

December 6th, 2018, 7:29 pm

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
The visibility guys went to RISD. They have us do a lot of hand done paper and cardboard work there, especially freshman year (I've got the exacto scars to prove it :-), note, don't build your cardboard model while sitting on the floor cross-legged at 3am unless you want to nearly slice a toe off as I did). I wouldn't be surprised if their wasn't all hand done or some minimum illustrator layouts. They could be using a sheetmetal plug in for a CAD platform (most have them and I know a lot of people who use sheetmetal features for paper prototyping).

December 7th, 2018, 9:02 am

loyflut
AHAH good story Michael 🤣
luckily you still have all of your digits (fingers and toes!) despite the 3 am eyes crossed by tiredness.
Humm I didn't think about sheet metal as an option for that, good idea!
Do you know what type of soft (I know Solidworks is good for that) and plugin they might use for that?

December 7th, 2018, 1:59 pm

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
Fusion 360 has good sheetmetal tools.

I just sent this to Joseph and Sina at Visibility, so maybe they will pop in with some answers.

December 7th, 2018, 4:09 pm

loyflut
OHH Fantastic!
Thanks a lot, Michael!
Hope they will find time to explain and share a bit how they do it, that will be so great!

December 7th, 2018, 5:49 pm

cf
yo wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 7:29 pm
The visibility guys went to RISD. They have us do a lot of hand done paper and cardboard work there, especially freshman year (I've got the exacto scars to prove it :-), note, don't build your cardboard model while sitting on the floor cross-legged at 3am unless you want to nearly slice a toe off as I did). I wouldn't be surprised if their wasn't all hand done or some minimum illustrator layouts. They could be using a sheetmetal plug in for a CAD platform (most have them and I know a lot of people who use sheetmetal features for paper prototyping).
Good to know :). Thanks Michael

Yesterday, 6:34 pm

loyflut
Shame that these guys from VISIBILITY are not showing up here!
While waiting for their possible/impossible answer I would like to show other results in paper as an inexpensive but very efficient way to express volume and material.
Si in the high skilled paper mockup world, I would like to present one of my favourite designers Jörg Boner.
Apart from his amazing products, he as certainly a very efficient way to develop them.
He very certainly uses the computer, but always relies on the physical end product and a lot of time (maybe some intern) to evaluate, push and select each idea.

Very inspiring!
Screenshot 2018-12-19 at 00.17.32.png
Screenshot 2018-12-19 at 00.21.38.png
Screenshot 2018-12-19 at 00.21.56.png