Portfolio/website feedback

Welcome D’Van! Thanks for joining and going straight to posting your work.

I’ve got a few simple structural things for you to consider. A portfolio is a design problem. Your target user is an overworked, frantically busy, caffeine addicted studio design director that needs to hire someone. So think of every decision from their point of view. Think of how amazon has removed as many Barries as possible to get people to fluidly purchase. They have it down to one click in some cases. How can that thinking inform your portfolio? In a few ways I see right away:

1. delivery. I have to click a link, and then download a file? I know it seems like a small thing, but it is an immediate barrier. Make it simpler. Even if you export all the pages in your PDF as jpegs and post them in a long blog scroll style.

2. timing. So now I clicked your link and downloaded you file and I have to go 5 pages until I get to some of your work and that first introduction to your work is a couple of traditional looking chess pawns. I think this would have been a more compelling image and I would make it full bleed and get to it faster.

3. strongest image. This image is probably the strongest visually in the pdf and it is 28 pages deep. You may want to consider moving that project up to the front.

4. clarity. Do you talk to this thing? I think it could be a bit more clear with a simple speech bubble “hey wall clock, do this for me…” kind of thing. Maybe I misunderstood what it does?

5. info. I would move the resume to the end of the portfolio. In general I don’t read any of that stuff until the end if I liked the work enough to actually read about the candidate. :slight_smile:

6. surfacing. One last point, I think it would be good to have a project that shows a bit more complex surfacing

I hope these points help you think about the portfolio a bit. Please take it as input from my particular point of view and do what you will with it.