Portfolio Critique (New ID GRAD)

-I’m having trouble trying to figure out how to explain my sketch process in my portfolio. Is there a specific technique you use or some examples you could share?

What Im trying to say is most of your sketches seem to be of the final product. Almost like overlays over CAD screenshots.
Watch, Bike light all seem like the same form sketches, with minor differences in graphics and in a different perspective.

With the Stove, there are a few different form factors explored, but those sketches are tiny and small. Your sketches page should show Exploration in form, and exploration in features. Not that you can do a high level CMF renders.

If it’s a simple form. Show me up close you exploring details.

-What about the aesthetic of the stove, light, and bike lock do you think makes them look similar? What could I do at this point to differentiate each?

Simple base form. Rectangular cross section with a domed surface. One major graphical pattern break. Usually accompanied by a texture. Could describe Stove, watch and light, even the bag. At this point there not much you can do.

But can you design something Bubbly? Fun? Flowly? Sharp? Rugged? Aggressive? What if the consultancy your applying to does a lot of work for Alienware or Razer.

-You mention that I should present the project to showcase it instead of showing the process I did to get the solution. Why is this? Back in school, we were taught that the process you took to the solution is just as important as the final solution.

Because the process you took to get to the solution sometimes doesn’t showcase the solution the best way. Again mix it up. Can you present a project like Apple would. If I asked you sex up our concept presentation for our client meeting could you do it?

Does showing the exact same style of process for every project gain you anything? Or would it be better served to show more research in one. And then show more sketching in another. And in the last project just skip all that and focus on feature improvements.