My ID portfólio

Hello everyone!
My name is Alan. I’m a 24 years old industrial designer from Brazil pursuing a master in design at ELISAVA, Barcelona.
I made an online portfolio for the application process and for applying for future jobs.
Please, take a look at: http://alanniski.com/
I would love to have some feedback about it.
Thank You,
Alan Niski

First impressions:

First things first, you need to redo your homepage ASAP.

Secondly, I get this feeling you just discovered the drop shadow tool in photoshop or illustrator and are trying to apply it to everything you do, don’t.

Lastly, my screen resolution is 1440 x 900 and all I can see at first glance without scrolling is a visor like mask of stars, the letter “A” and “N” blurred out and four links: Home, Blog, Work, About. I think you need to get rid of the visor stars graphic at top and the circular one at the bottom of the home page. It unfortunately made me not want to look at your work, because I was afraid of what I would see.

Sorry for being so blunt, but I’ll come back later and give you some actionable feedback on what you can do to make a better impression.

I agree with the comments of sketchroll. Somethings I would like to point out:

• There is a lot of white space, the only thing I see is the mask and the navigation menu. (I work with 1680 x 1050 and 1920 x 1080 resolutions)
  • I notice you use many different fonts. For example on the homepage I see 4 different font types (AN, menu, text and footer). I would try to make it more coherent and use more of the same fonts.
  • I like the way you show the progress of a project and the style seems coherent, but doesn’t match with the mask and navigation (the rest of the website actually).
  • I, personally, am not going to read the first black text that is showing at the beginning of a project. To me it is not really appealing and too much text to quickly scan through.

The main thing I want to point out is the style of your website isn’t really coherent and therefor not really appealing to me (personally). As a suggestion I would try to apply the same style and colour scheme of the progress and projects to your whole website.

Fun to read that you did the master program at TU Delft as I am a bachelor student at the TU Delft. I also would like to do my master somewhere else, but first need to finish my bachelor.

Hello Guys,
First of all, thank you for your time on checking my portfolio and giving the feedback.
I agree with most of things that you said. The big logo was not helping in the visualization of the website and I really used too much the drop shadow effect. So I redid the top and menu part off the blog. I would appreciate if you could take another look and say if you think that it’s better. I believe that the style is more coherent now. I also diminished the white spaces.
I know that a lot of people won’t read the description text, but I will keep it because it gives more details about the project if someone is interested and it’s possible to understand the project withouth reading it anyway.
Mixel, I did only one semestre at TU Delft. I decided to leave because the IPD master was too engineering oriented for me. I will apply for ELISAVA which is very focused on the market but it’s less technical.
Thanks,
Alan Niski

I think it looks much better now as it feels more like one piece and there isn’t that much white space at the top anymore.

I know this is an annoying thing to say, but I’m also certain I wouldn’t be the only person to spot it:

Your Vaso Solitário is overwhelmingly phallic. Most people would be mature enough to not giggle about it, but creating overtly phallic/yonic objects can induce subconscious reactions in people that you can’t necessarily predict.

Anyway it’s just something to consider.

Mixel, thank you again for your feedback. I appreciate a lot.
Matthew, you are not the first one to point this, other people said the same before. But I didn’t realize this when I designed it.
Thanks,
Alan

Hey guys,
I made some changes to my portfolio’s layout and to the projects and I would apreciate a lot if you could give me some feedback.
Thank You,
Alan

Hello guys,
I made a new portfolio for applying for internships when i finish my master at elisava.
I would appreciate a lot if you could give me your oppinion about it.
http://alanniski.com/

Thanks,
Alan