December 11th, 2007, 1:30 pm

molested_cow
full self-realization
full self-realization
cavsball42 wrote:I agree, thats how diseases get started...whether cooked or not.
WHAT?
It's not the cows' fault, stop molesting them!!!

December 11th, 2007, 1:46 pm

melovescookies
step four
step four
dude, eat your grass fed happy cow meat. i am sure we're all super cool with that, but it's a thread about xmas trees and i merely made a point about the fact that compared to our other practices, xmas trees should be one of the least of our concerns.

back to trees?
found here:http://dannyseo.typepad.com/my_weblog/2 ... ke-de.html

"Choose a live tree. Believe it or not, I lived on a Christmas tree farm for three years of my life. Even though I didn’t work on the farm, I did learn more about evergreen trees than any person should ever really know. The greenest choice when it comes to real vs. fake is choose a live tree. You see, these farms are using land that’s unsuitable for most crops, except hardy trees. So they’re saving land from development. Plus the trees provide habitat for wildlife."

December 11th, 2007, 2:15 pm

zippyflounder
full self-realization
full self-realization
This chirstmas having tree, turkey and venison too...with some presents for all. The tree is a whole shit load of lights hung on a 20 year old plastic artifical tree, yup 20 years and not a needle gone. The turkey, took a after noon walking the woods with my 12 gauge, wild turkey is a bit more gamey tasting than domestic ( i got 2 and froze one) but you brine it its super. The venison, took 3 days of wandering around the woods with my 30.06 winchester. There is a over population of deer around here as all the preadators have been removed so they are thick as flys with many starving during hard winters. Some of my "urban/green" friends sorts freaked when they saw "bambi" hangin in the garage before butchering but hey thats how meat comes (and fish, and poltery too) in a skin coverd package with eyes, toung and stuff.

December 11th, 2007, 2:16 pm

zippyflounder
full self-realization
full self-realization
molested_cow wrote:
cavsball42 wrote:I agree, thats how diseases get started...whether cooked or not.
WHAT?
the prions that are the cause of "mad cow" are not destroyed by cooking...dig?

December 11th, 2007, 2:17 pm

Bbarn
step four
step four
I think jabbing back with a personal lifestyle choice in a completely random area is just trying to push your lifestyle on someone else. How are we talking about meat when someone brought up a question about christmas and trees??

If you want to argue about the negative effects of eating beef, start a new thread.

Now i think im going to go have a hamburger for lunch...a meat cookie if you will...

December 11th, 2007, 2:28 pm

Mr-914
I just want to clarify my guilt. Most of my guilt comes from my catholic upbringing and is now instinctual. I do enjoy myself, but I'm aware of how I affect my surroundings.

I think if one is guilty of having a tree, the discussion should include a comparison with other wasteful behaviors. If, for no other reason, it will give us perspective on the deed.

December 11th, 2007, 2:32 pm

melovescookies
step four
step four
Bbarn wrote:I think jabbing back with a personal lifestyle choice in a completely random area is just trying to push your lifestyle on someone else. How are we talking about meat when someone brought up a question about christmas and trees??

If you want to argue about the negative effects of eating beef, start a new thread.

Now i think im going to go have a hamburger for lunch...a meat cookie if you will...
Enjoy your meal.

I apologize if the starter of the thread felt like i was shoving my personal dietary choices down his family's throats and the throats of subsequent readers.

December 11th, 2007, 2:41 pm

jon_winebrenner
Coroflot: 44466
melovescookies wrote:
Bbarn wrote:I think jabbing back with a personal lifestyle choice in a completely random area is just trying to push your lifestyle on someone else. How are we talking about meat when someone brought up a question about christmas and trees??

Enjoy your meal.

I apologize if the starter of the thread felt like i was shoving my personal dietary choices down his family's throats and the throats of subsequent readers.
Nope....I actually thought the diversion was interesting.....

To me, what I found to be more interesting is the fact that there is this feeling of guilt that surrounds "green". Old habits/customs are going to die hard (if at all). It started with trees....to which I no longer feel guilty. I do, however wonder about all the other stuff.

December 11th, 2007, 2:55 pm

zippyflounder
full self-realization
full self-realization
ip_wirelessly wrote:
melovescookies wrote:

Enjoy your meal.

Nope....I actually thought the diversion was interesting.....

To me, what I found to be more interesting is the fact that there is this feeling of guilt that surrounds "green". Old habits/customs are going to die hard (if at all). It started with trees....to which I no longer feel guilty. I do, however wonder about all the other stuff.
Old customs dont "die" they get modded along the way and screw "guilt"it just means your a slave to some other blokes opinion of you (worthless). As long as your aware of and ok with the outcome of your actions or deeds then let the others eat cake.

December 11th, 2007, 3:02 pm

jon_winebrenner
zippyflounder wrote:Old customs dont "die" they get modded along the way and screw "guilt"it just means your a slave to some other blokes opinion of you (worthless). As long as your aware of and ok with the outcome of your actions or deeds then let the others eat cake.
I buy the "modded" comment.

As for the guilt...I don't really care what people think. The awareness has been raised and I want a place for my kids to live a comparable/better life that I have been able to live. Considering I am 3' below sea level at the moment...global warming and "doing my part" is on the top of my mind. My guilt is that I am doing the right thing for my kids.

December 11th, 2007, 3:24 pm

zippyflounder
full self-realization
full self-realization
ip_wirelessly wrote:
zippyflounder wrote:Old customs dont "die" they get modded along the way and screw "guilt"it just means your a slave to some other blokes opinion of you (worthless). As long as your aware of and ok with the outcome of your actions or deeds then let the others eat cake.
I buy the "modded" comment.

As for the guilt...I don't really care what people think. The awareness has been raised and I want a place for my kids to live a comparable/better life that I have been able to live. Considering I am 3' below sea level at the moment...global warming and "doing my part" is on the top of my mind. My guilt is that I am doing the right thing for my kids.
Teach your kids how to be resliaint, frugal, optimistic, fearless and curious about eveything...and you done your job. The future, is a moving target and even the best dont get much of it right (Brin in the book earth from 1989 was damn close though..funny nobody back then wanted to listen and was my attempt at discussion of said book with my "lefty" friends at the time to toss in the towel) so the old standbys that have got us humans by over time are still the best, snartm flexiable, optimistic are all they need.

December 11th, 2007, 3:25 pm

molested_cow
full self-realization
full self-realization
I apologize for derailing the thread. However I feel that if you want to explore what tree guilt is by just talking about trees and not consider the bigger picture(eg. consumerism), then I don't think you will ever get to the answer. I don't have anything else to add.
It's not the cows' fault, stop molesting them!!!

December 11th, 2007, 4:18 pm

Mr-914
I don't feel guilty because of how other perceive me. In fact, I think my efforts to leave a smaller footprint on the planet make people think I'm a nut. I know it drives my wife crazy! I feel guilty for two reasons: tradition (learned behavior) and I feel that everything comes around. If I don't take care of the planet, it will effect me eventually.

December 11th, 2007, 4:26 pm

jon_winebrenner
Deez wrote:Stupid picture is making my mouth water.
Every now and then, Deez, you knock it out of the park.

You can add that to your ego page if you like.

December 12th, 2007, 11:36 am

eco.iD
Deez,

That steak is making me salivate, but it's a little over cooked for my liking. I usually go Pittsburgh Rare to Rare on a cut like that.

On the issue of "holiday" trees, my family always has a real tree. They are grown and replaced for this particular season at tree farms, enough said.