April 21st, 2006, 9:31 am

Waxy
step three
step three
yo wrote:a few points, I think both schools have their strong points. The ID programs at each are fundamentally VERY different.

1) the school names mean little in the industry, both have a soggy rep in the professional world

2) you can't take the facilities with you when you graduate (to paraphrase a long time RISD prof of mine who has passed now)

3) Providence is great, but it is hard to beat NYC

you say both have a soggy rep- could this actually work AGAINST you? i would hope that an individual's talent and overall portfolio would be more important than anything else.

April 21st, 2006, 10:54 am

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
Well, this may reflect more on the person, but one design director told me after a successful interview that lead to an offer "you know I usually just throw resumes from RISD right in the garbage without looking at the portfolio, but yours actually looked professional and well designed so I opened your book". I also once walked into a client's office that happened to be outside of Providence, I mentioned that I went to RISD and asked if they ever sponsored projects there to which they replied "why would we waste out time there" and" you went there, guess we just wasted our companies money" and so on, the work turned them around, but getting over that initial pre judgement can be difficult. I always felt that my game had to be twice as tight to overcome the perception.

Not saying it's right, just that it happens.

April 21st, 2006, 12:51 pm

Waxy
step three
step three
Yea, that's a bummer to hear. WHY are these schools so hated? what was your portfolio/book like that it looked "professional"? finally, do you see these "prejudices" ever disappearing?

(your story is quite contrary to that of the Hildebrandt (Sp?) brothers- the ones who illustrated those lord of the rings calendars way back when:

they showed up at the publishing place (or whatever it was) with giant plastic garbage bags (clean) full of sketches and studies... and got the commissions.

of course, we are talking about design here, and not illustration, but i've always liked stories like that.)

anyways, thanks for replying.

April 21st, 2006, 2:16 pm

grimble
step three
step three
I think things have been changing since I was at RISD, which was later but overlapped with yo. There definitely was a feeling from the faculty that they weren't there to prepare us to jump into a job like skinny said. I remember being confused as to how the departement had such interesting and respected sponsored studios (Universal Kitchen, Red Cross, Zinc house etc) in the past and there were zero when we were there. That has definitely changed in the past few years. The students who have interviewed at my firm typically have at least one industry sponsored studio, some 3 or 4 at graduation which I think is amazing. There is definitely a new emphasis on real world experience there, and internships are a much bigger deal than previously. I've been impressed with the students who are graduating on the most part.

I'm not sure what caused this shift. I went in to speak with the head at one point shortly after graduating to voice my concerns on the way the department was integrating technology into the curriculum and was told that they weren't trying to be a trade school to get people into jobs, but were trying to teach students a thought process. I agree with this, however I think there are things that students need to learn to get started in the world. They still have computers and software messed up in the curriculum, but thats another discussion.

Its a shame about the negative rep that RISD has with some places, I've never encountered it actually myself, but I've heard from others many times. For the most part what I've experienced is that RISD students think well, but can't draw for shit, which was very true(and still is somewhat). I know some friends from RISD at consultancies and corporations that have a problem finding someone with a good mix of thinking and sketching skills, period. I know several recent RISD alumni who have gone out to CA for the summer to CCA or wherever to do a drawing program, which I think is a great thing to do between the freshman year. Its harder to teach someone to think than to draw. Maybe you can't teach someone to think.

I think I've typed enough for now.

April 25th, 2006, 3:16 pm

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
Sounds like a lot of positive change which I'm happy to hear. For awhile it seemed as though there might have been some resting on the laurels, but it sounds like there is a huge effort being made to reconnect with the world.

Going to another school I think is always a good idea. You can do an exchange semester with any art school in the US (except Art Center) and have all credits transfer back. One of my upperclassmen friends at RISD did this with CCS, my roommate and I did a semester at CIA. It really opened us up to a totally different way of looking at design, not to mention new skill sets and networks of people.

good 4 you!

April 27th, 2006, 4:13 am

No Ne Justo!
step one
step one
I was in your exact situation last year. it was so exciting! I felt honored to say the least! I chose Pratt. the first semmester was pretty awful, but it seems like things are getting better. Personally I have just tuned out and gotten back to my own work. It's really nice here now if you can cope. The facilities are crapy for ID, but there are 4 wood shops on campus just to give you an example. If you come, and you like to BUILD, you will navigate your way through the bulls**t. If you have any more questions let me know. By the way, I never learned too much about RISD's philosophy of design, or "elements of design", but here they are highly stressed so be prepared for shapes, shapes, shapes!!

July 24th, 2006, 12:54 pm

zushmoo
step two
step two
well... this makes me feel better about my decision not to go to pratt this year :)
if youre not here to make something better, as far as im concerned you are just in the way

July 26th, 2006, 9:27 am

Crepes
step two
step two
[quote="yo"]you know I usually just throw resumes from RISD right in the garbage without looking at the portfolio, but yours actually looked professional and well designed so I opened your book". I also once walked into a client's office that happened to be outside of Providence, I mentioned that I went to RISD and asked if they ever sponsored projects there to which they replied "why would we waste out time there" and" you went there, guess we just wasted our companies money" and so on, the work turned them around, but getting over that initial pre judgement can be difficult. I always felt that my game had to be twice as tight to overcome the perception.

Not saying it's right, just that it happens.[/quote]

Yo 's opinion is very true.
the company I work at ( in Providence) do not consider any RISD kids. many companies I interview with around the area joke about how bad RISD ID kids are. I give a few interviews to some RISD ID grads that are not ready to graduate...
I think Yo is the only one I know from RISD ID that actually got skills ( Or maybe I just don't know enough people!?) BTW, my RISD intern is still falling a sleep on his desk. But we are getting very used to the fact that he comes in for 8 hours and sleep for 6...
( please note that the above opinion do not apply to fine art. I have met excellent painter from RISD.)
Taxguy1
step three
step three
This is an interesting thread. Pratt had really run down facilities. My daughter really disliked Pratt for that reason, although I never heard anyone say that Pratt wasn't strong in ID.

RISD was interesting. They are the most closeminded school as to their curriculum of any that I met. I was on the phone with the heard of the graphic design department and inquired about digital design or communication design, and hoped that they would lean more in that direction as other schools have done. Her answer was quite telling:

" RISD just does graphic design. If you don't like it, don't come here. We don't believe in changing our curriculum away from this."

This is RISD folks....