postgrad. what now after an ID Bachelors?

Hi all.

i’m looking to do a postgrad degree after i finish my bachelors in ID this coming summer.

what would be the best option to go for?
a postgrad in ID (why do people with a Ba of ID do this) or a postgrad degree in some other field like business?

how does the idea of getting an MBA sound?

i hope that everyone will be able to offer some help regarding this topic.

Thanks!

In the past there has been no shortage of people who would quickly question you about why you’re doing a grad degree in ID… but since i’ve just signed up to do one myself i’m in no position to do that…

What i might suggest though, is if you’re unsure, spend a year or two working before you jump into another degree… It seems like a ‘directionless’ thing to do, but you would be amazed at how much perspective it gives you – and how much insight it gives you into what you really want to do for grad work…

My opinion on MBAs is pretty poor right now for two reasons:
a) they’re overrun with people who have lots of money but are looking for a piece of paper that gives them an ‘edge’… so they’re losing a lot of credibility – apparently they don’t mean much without a bit of management experience anymore…

and…

b) do you really want to become a manager already?if you do an MBA, your paycheque (may) be fatter, but you may also be condeming yourself to a lifetime of middle management…

My strong advice that I would advise you to seriously think about, wait that’s awkward, anyhoo…

if you want to be a designer, and you have an undergrad in ID, get a job. Work as a designer for 2-3 years. You will learn a ton! Then if you feel the need to return to the academic world, go for it. You will have a greater understanding of the feild, yourself, what you want to work on, and what you want to pursue in design.