15 pieces of advice for young designers

I am most intrigued by nr. 8. LEARN YOUR SUPERPOWER, and so the related 3. and 1. how to apply it in your team and overall career.
For some people these are things like modern dance, or sports, and relating it and the lived experience of the human body back to their design work. For others these are insights into human behavior such as why people do certain things, like ritualized behavior, and playing into that as a designer. Others are mathematical geniuses or great researchers. Some are great at automotive design but it took their lifetime starting from childhood to be an insider in that field. I only know that I am especially good at drawing comics but it doesn’t make me want to be a comic artist. Visualization is what I am good at but I wonder if it can be the unique selling point I am looking for. Otherwise I am good at a lot of things but not one of the best. So how do you find your superpower? I was wondering if you can share some advice or examples of people who did.

ID seems to now be defined by people that arent designers at all. It now seems to be driven by getting the file done by 5PM more than a concientious effort to develop valuable 3D products.

To me Justin is a younger designer.

This is very odd. Maybe that is what it is from your individual perspective but I don’t think it is a fair assessment of the industry. If it is your current dilemma then perhaps there is something you can do to make it better… as for Justin he is an experienced designer who has had leadership roles at several companies…

Idainc - I’m not sure where this is coming from. I’m also not sure where you work, or what you have put out into the market, so I’m not going to have a debate on who’s work is more meaningful. What I can tell you is that I do have multiple products that have gone to market and have enhanced consumer’s lives, I have managed great teams, and I have a passion for design. Do I come in a 9 and leave at 5? Yes, when I can. But, when the hours are needed I am there working hard to make sure the job is done right.

Back to the post…

I am most intrigued by nr. 8. LEARN YOUR SUPERPOWER, and so the related 3. and 1. how to apply it in your team and overall career.
For some people these are things like modern dance, or sports, and relating it and the lived experience of the human body back to their design work. For others these are insights into human behavior such as why people do certain things, like ritualized behavior, and playing into that as a designer. Others are mathematical geniuses or great researchers. Some are great at automotive design but it took their lifetime starting from childhood to be an insider in that field. I only know that I am especially good at drawing comics but it doesn’t make me want to be a comic artist. Visualization is what I am good at but I wonder if it can be the unique selling point I am looking for. Otherwise I am good at a lot of things but not one of the best. So how do you find your superpower? I was wondering if you can share some advice or examples of people who did.

Visualization can be a very strong story telling tool. Very few can do great scenario drawings that tell a great consume story. I have a passion for consumer research and synthesizing those insights into meaningful platforms. Most of the time this means scenarios, experience platforms, etc… BUT when we have the resource to turn our insights in visual scenarios that tell a story, it takes the work to the next level. It can then be easily communicated to stakeholders and a true story is created.

The key here is being able to tell a STORY, not just visualization. If you can master that, then you become valuable and you can eventually learn strategy and grow that skill further into a more strategic role.

JC

I have been an Industrial designer for 13 years and can identify with every one of these points. I think they’re spot on - insightful and inspiring!
Thanks for sharing Justin!

Thank you Justin, I agree stories is what designers need to focus on.
A nice example is Dutch electronics giant Philips, with very appealing (although somewhat sexist at those times) illustrated ads telling a consumer story of what their products would mean in people’s lives, already in the early 20th century.

I also notice that the older I get, the better I get at doing design as a day-job instead of overwork, overwork overwork of the earlier years.
The mind gets trained and we need less time, so we learn to organize life a bit while improving the (perceived) quality of our work.

Can I print this? Would love to have this on my workspace :smiley:

This is for those of you that have come up since the depression/recession that started in '08/09. I get the sense that many of you have been getting taken advantage of once you begin your careers, and that is wrong.

16 - Design is not a calling. There is nothing particularly noble about creating value for billion dollar brands, though some will try to convince you of this and use it as a tool to persuade you to accept lower wages and longer hours for the complex and demanding work that drives those brands’ profit. The seriousness of this enterprise is directly proportional to how much they are willing to pay for your services. Reject weak offers, and be a mercenary for You Inc. because no one else is going to do that job for you. And remember, you can always quit. :wink:

Have fun in what you do will always be the key to success. Thank you for sharing this with us, I can say that your post gave me the motivation to love what I do in life.

I have just finished my Bachelor´s degree in Industrial Design and I am on kind of a professional crisis…I felt really connected with what you wrote, I am afraid of getting a job outside design, but jobs at my country doesn´t seem to go too much for design…If I choose what puts food on the table instead of Design does that means quitting?

Having the attitude that you can always quit is not a good attitude to have and will not lead to success. If you are going in with that attitude then you have already decide that design is not for you and you should save your money.

Also I have worked on billion dollar brands my whole career and have been paid very well while doing it. Large brands in corporate companies is generally where good pay, flexibility, and balance lies in the design world. Also as an in-house designer, it is generally where you will have control over what hits the shelf and can make an impact on what consumers buy, how the product effects the environment and the mission of those big brands.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with working on smaller brands or being a consultant. Both are very lucrative career paths that one should evaluate when finding their first design job.

Give us a bit more information. Where are you living? What other jobs are you looking into? What about ID excites you?

In the end you need to do what you need to do to put food on the table. That is priority number one. Without knowing what other jobs your are considering I can’t tell you if it may be taking you too far away from design that it will effect your career but what I would tell you is to look at companies that may give you complimentary skills. Skills like sales experience, manufacturing experience, marketing experience, etc… Also look at taking on some freelance work. This will help to keep your skills fresh and allow you to learn while you look for a full time gig.

I am with bcpid on this one. What has that to do if “design is for you” or not? You provide value for brands. They should provide you with money. If they don’t adequatly: quit.
If you can provide the right value you should agressively insist on getting paid for that value. Like everybody else in every other industry is insisting to be compensated fairly. What software developer or engineer works for pocket money because he likes his job and considers it his calling? Probably none. Then why do designers do this?
You especially see it in consultancies leeching of young designers who are getting “paid” in being “allowed” to work for big brands. Mostly they just don’t know their own value. If they would push a little harder they would be surprised how much more they would be paid. Something many designers need to understand: Design is a job like any other job, even if you think it is not - it is.

If they would push a little harder they would be surprised how much more they would be paid.

This is the key phrase. You control your career. No one else. Realizing you are not getting paid enough and actively seeking out a resolution or a new opportunity is a lot different then having the mindset that you can just quit. Being proactive and solving your problems is the opposite of quitting. Starting something new and saying “If it doesn’t work out I can just quit”, to me means you are not completely in it and frankly is an attitude I would not want on my team.

I have never believed in the word quit, and believe that it always leads to a negative outcome.

J

I think you think of “quitting” as “giving up”. Which has nothing necessarily to do with each other. Quitting a job is probably one of the most powerful career advancement tools you have as an employee. Your possibility to quit anytime is the single biggest leverage you have against your employer. If you are good at what you do and can’t be replaced within a week your employer should dread the moment you hand in your resignation. Because that will make him give you raises and promote you. But for this to work “quitting” can’t be an empty thread. If you become that person that never quits his/her job your career will stall at some point. It’s just a matter of time.
All my major pay bumps and career advancements happened because I quit a job and started in a new one that I felt was more appropriate for myself. Also quitting a job has nothing to with burning bridges or “not being 100% in it”. It’s just a way to move on and up.

Mrog, as I interpreted it, I think that was Justin’s original point. Maybe I miss interpreted it.

Yes it was. :grinning:

The intent of “you can always quit” originated in a post on another thread, in which a young designer was being paid like $35k in a coastal city - aka being paid less than minimum wage in a big city once you consider that most coastal cities are pushing $15/hr min wage and a lot of young designers are expected to put in pretty long hours. Which is inexcusable. And those designers should use quitting as leverage, and if they still don’t get what they want financially, they should quit first and find a new gig later. No one should tolerate that kind of exploitation. New engineers that work in product development aren’t being offered $35k, and they aren’t fed nonsense like they’re “changing the world” or that their career is a “calling.” Design is a job, you bill for your time. You are a lawyer with spatial problem solving skills. Charge accordingly. Demand pay on par with all the other product development stakeholders. Accept nothing less. Giving up = letting someone take advantage of your work for low pay.

I think the quit first and find a new gig later thing is a bit of a personal preference. some people do better with that cold turkey, walk out the door style. In my experience I’ve always been better about finding a job when I have a job. But I like to be truthful. I have told past bosses that a situation is not sustainable for me and it will lead to me leaving if there isn’t change. With this fair shot across the bow I then spool down a bit, enforcing more strict boundaries on my time and emotional commitment to the job so I can use that extra time and energy to get after finding a new position. Then when I leave I reference the previous conversation, “remember 6 months ago when I said this particular thing would lead to me leaving? That time has come unfortunately…” or something like that.

However you do it, make sure it is authentic to you.

I agree. I have also always been in the camp of finding something while I have something. I find that while I am looking for a new gig it makes me evaluate what I am really looking for and what isn’t currently working. There are always going to be bad days so make sure you are not making emotional rash decisions.

Also sometime hard situations help you grow. I always evaluate them to see if there is opportunity to be had before jumping ship. Example: I recently changed categories moving from consumer products into financial services. There is no design. There is no understanding of design. There is a eagerness to learn, but everything has to be built. That sounds exciting but it is HARD work. Everyone in the organization has to be educated. All supplies and tools need to be purchased, which means getting crazy and ridiculous approvals for things as simple as post-it notes. Even our environment for working needs to be created. There are days I go home and say to myself “WTF, I don’t know if I can keep doing this”. But I keep going because if it works out, it will be huge. If I get to a point that I don’t think it is going to get there, well it will be time to make some decisions.

As far as not getting paid enough… You signed an offer letter and made that decision. Yes I agree you should be getting paid what you are worth but as designers, we should also stop accepting jobs that pay shit.