Which should i choose?CCS and RIT

i am accepted by CCS transportation design (master of fine art) and RIT visual communication (master of fine art).which should i choose? CCS has business courses which may be helpful in the future.but Detroit is going through the drepressing, like all media report that it has a lot of crime, and the auto industry is not as hot as past. CCS offer me 10000 scholar ship per year.RIT just offer 6000. as i know, both schools tuition fee are 37000 per year…can anyone tell me something about RIT visual communication design? and which should i choose.

So these programs are vastly different in their focus with one being viscom and the other trans? Do I understand this correctly?
In that case I believe that the question actually might be rather easy to answer for you: Do you want to work in trans or not?

I know nothing about the RIT Visual Communication program and it appears that you also are not fully on top of it. I’d make sure that you are aware of what you will be learning.
It would probably be wise to base this decision on whether the curriculum is a good fit or not. If it isn’t, then no place or amount of money you might save is worth it.

CCS grad here (1995, ID with honors). I’d earned a business degree before entering CCS and found that to be very helpful. The school itself was top notch.

I studied briefly under Carl Olsen (who was the Trans Chair while I was there) to develop a hybrid drivetrain that combined what NASA, Honda and GM had done previously, we presented it to GM with positive results. The Trans section within the ID group offers a highly specialized niche and if, along that path, you decide you want a broader lok at ID, all the other ID and related courses are open to you.

The education and system within CCS helped me win an IHA award, various scholarships and a consultancy internship all while still attending my last two years there.

Graduation week included a portfolio day that allowed me to present my entire portfolio to GM, LEGO, Hasbro, Proctor & Gamble, Ford and several other big companies.

There was no what-if downtime after graduation, I immediately started a freelance gig with LEGO, a paid project with the Detroit Science Center and then joined GM’s design staff. A few years later, my CCS portfolio was a big reason I so easily rolled into a blue sky role at Black & Decker - that led to 12 years of very valuable global product development employment & knowledge building.

More than anything though, if you’re talented and motivated you will succeed - but I found CCS to be a good environment in which to do so.

Many questions… what is your main interest in pursuing design masters degree? The nature of trans design and communication design are very different, so it’s really apple and oranges.

Honestly, a trans masters degree alone isn’t going to get you a car designer job ( unless you already are one or have mad talent). So that brings back the earlier question, what is your goal?

What are you interested in doing when you get out? Transportation design is very specific. Visual communication is much broader.

Is there a reason you picked the RIT Visual communication program and not their Industrial Design MFA?

Rochester is a pretty mixed bag, but I’d take it over Detroit. There is a lot of good culture and great food, but it snows - a lot.

Detroit or Rochester, tough choice. Throw in CIA and you have a trifecta. :wink:

it’s obvious the OP knows nothing of design or these schools. Coming to the US to study (or avoiding getting a job) is the only goal.
whats interesting is that schools that are willing to provide a change-of-major service at the graduate level like IIT or Pratt may be getting more competition soon…

:laughing: