Which US ID program is best for an older guy?

Hi, I just graduated with an undergrad in Interior Design and I discovered during the course of my studies that I am a lot more interested in industrial design. I could use some help in figuring out what to do next. I am older, let’s just say, over 40. I am eager to join the work force as soon as possible in ID but obviously need the proper training. I have poured over hundreds of posts on this site, but still don’t know, is it best to go for a second undergrade or do I go for a grad degree? Also, what schools In the US do the best job preparing a very motivated guy with a design background, in the least time, hopefully 3 years max, for a job in ID? I am thinking grad school cause I already have a design background and don’t want to mess with more gen. Ed. Stuff, however, I am not sure I will receive a strong enough foundation in grad school. I am currently considering the grad program at Academy of Art University in San. Fran. Will this program meet my needs sufficiently? The University of Cincinnati comes up quite often as a great school, but 5 years of school is a bit too much for me. RISD also sounds like a great school, but it is extremely, prohibitively expensive. I am a very motivated guy that needs to learn the basics and have access to opportunities such as internships. What is the best school/location for this?
Thanks

How are your core sketching and research skills? Is your thought process that of an industrial designer? How about your understanding of form, function, ergonomics, HFE, etc.?

These are questions I would ask myself if I were in your position, as those are some of the skills that are critical to your success. If your skill set is well developed on those technical fronts, I’d say go for the graduate degree.

However, (I’ve seen this multiple times…) if your skill set is underdeveloped in the core ID curriculum, don’t go get a grad degree and think anyone will hire you as an industrial designer. I’ve seen engineers go get that ID grad degree and they end up with a huge gap on the technical skill front that is ridiculously obvious. It makes for an engineer with sophomore industrial design skills…good if you want to be an engineer who has a basic understanding of design, but not if you want to be a designer. You’re in a little different situation, having an interior design degree already, so with a strong set of core skills, you may do just fine. Again, think about that core skill set and give yourself an honest critique.

Art Center has an awesome program, 3 years. Pricey and year around, but very good.

CCS in Detroit is great as well. I’ve heard good things about Savannah. Cleveland Institute of Art is great, maybe look into Milwaukee Institute of Art. Long Beach is supposed to have a strong program, as does ASU. Notre Dame has both, grad and undergrad…pretty good school as well. Lots of options out there… If it were me, I’d shop around and see what might be the best fit for me. Best of luck!

My sketching skills are not the best, I am currently working daily to improve them. We didnt really do any research other than search building codes, so, don’t know bout those skills either. I don’t know if I think like an industrial designer, how do they think? What school is this Art Center you referred to? Is it the Academy of Art University? That school is turning out to be one of the less expensive ones, especially since I will be paying out of state tuition. I am not set on the grad route, in fact, I want a strong foundation and figure I can rely on internship experience and an amazing portfolio to get me that first job.

Art Center, College of Design is in Pasadena, CA. It is an intense place, but provides a tremendous education. Last I heard, it will set you back about 100k for the 3 year undergrad program. Not cheap… Is there a state that you wouldn’t have to pay out of state tuition in? If so, it might be worth checking out those programs if cost is a determining factor.

Sounds like you’ve started down the right path as far as sketching goes. You can’t sketch enough…as one of my professors said, “You must sketch 48 hours a day”… Design research is a critical skill, since you can’t really innovate or bring something new to the table until you understand every detail of what you’re designing and who you’re designing for. A strong understanding of ergonomics and human factors is very beneficial as well, since we design for people. A great design starts with the user, not the product. Understand the user and design the product out from that point. Don’t design a product and assume the user will adapt to it.

As far as how ID people think, here is a generalization, and is certainly just my opinion.

ID people tend to be the ones who can’t leave well enough alone. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” doesn’t really apply to our mode of thinking…we’re ALWAYS looking to make something better, even if it is already good. We’re typically extremely curious about the world around us and are constantly trying learn more about everything. The reason for this (as far as I can tell anyway) is that we believe at some point, we’ll make a connection between two or three different ideas that allows us to innovate or create something that hasn’t been seen before. We rely on the various experiences/exposures we have to eventually lead to a design solution that is great, not just good.

ID people live to create. Watching people use the products, services or experiences we create is very rewarding. Knowing the product is that way because you designed it that way makes for a very rewarding feeling.

We tend to think of design all the time, to a point that it consumes you…sometimes good, sometimes not so much. It can be a bit of a curse. ID is something you love, it is really a part of your personality. We’ll live with the curse…

Thanks for all of your thoughts designer nerd. I life in Florida, so there is no in state option. As far as thinking like a designer, I am always improving things in my head, however, it is a lot more aesthetic and quality oriented than innovative. Poor quality is a huge pet peeve of mine. I think that is my German side. I do eventually want to move back to Germany, so that is a consideration for location as well. If I can earn a second undergrad in 3 years or so, it may be the best option for someone like me.
Thanks again, and I eagerly welcome all comments and advice.

Happy to give a little advice Rimmer, probably worth what it cost you though :slight_smile:

If I lived in FL and wanted to get an ID degree, I would head to SCAD, Savannah College of Art and Design. Everything I’ve heard about that program is excellent, plus it is in pretty close proximity, relatively speaking.

http://www.scad.edu/industrial-design/index.cfm

Keep us posted on your progress, I’m impressed that you’re pursuing an ID degree. Anyone who carries this torch will truly be rewarded…I love what I do. Not eveyone can say that…

Best of luck!

I have actually already applied to SCAD, however, when I research recommended schools it doesn’t even show up on the radar. In fact, you are the first person to recommend it. So I was getting a little concerned about the quality of that school. But if you recommend it, perhaps I should check it out. On the other hand, I have lived in the south ever since I moved here from Germany and I really would like a change, and it’s to damn hot and humid.

If you’re ready for a change, look at Art Center. In my opinion, it is still the premier design school in the US, if not the world. I attended classes there for a summer, have attended conferences there, and visit everytime I’m in Southern California just for inspiration.

The weather is absolutely perfect (again, for me) and I love the diverse culture LA has to offer. Geographically, you can be at the beach in 20 minutes, or in the middle of the mountains with no one around in 20 minutes…very cool.

It is an absolute mecca with regard to creative people. There are so many cool people to meet out there it is unreal. So much cool culture to take in…very inspiring…again, this is my opinion. Some people think it is too crowded, too expensive, etc. which at times it can be. But I’ll take the good with the bad…great weather, great design school, very inspiring landscape…Hollywood, Santa Monica, Venice (yes, I know Venice is gritty, but I love it), Pasadena…just talking about it makes me want to go!

The average age of an Art Center student is beyond that of a typical college, many of the students (undergrads) have a degree already, much like yours… Interior design, mechanical engineering, architecture, etc. Then they found ID and couldn’t resist it… They had to go back for the ID degree. Your other degree will help you that much more at Art Center, as there are some VERY talented people there that keep the level of competition high.

Check it out at http://www.artcenter.edu

Again, this is just my opinion…others will vary.

The art institute of ft lauderdale has a ID program.

I went to scad, graduated in '03 and thought I got a great education. The dept. is on top of new tools and technologies. I used a 3d printer while I was there 10 years ago. It’s a growing program that keeps getting bigger, they keep outgrowing their building if that says anything. Probably the biggest plus, I’m working in my field rather than trying and going to work into something else. That says a lot.

Good luck! If I can help please let me know.

ID people tend to be the ones who can’t leave well enough alone. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” doesn’t really apply to our mode of thinking…we’re ALWAYS looking to make something better, even if it is already good. We’re typically extremely curious about the world around us and are constantly trying learn more about everything. The reason for this (as far as I can tell anyway) is that we believe at some point, we’ll make a connection between two or three different ideas that allows us to innovate or create something that hasn’t been seen before. We rely on the various experiences/exposures we have to eventually lead to a design solution that is great, not just good.

ID people live to create. Watching people use the products, services or experiences we create is very rewarding. Knowing the product is that way because you designed it that way makes for a very rewarding feeling.

We tend to think of design all the time, to a point that it consumes you…sometimes good, sometimes not so much. It can be a bit of a curse. ID is something you love, it is really a part of your personality. We’ll live with the curse…

Designer Nerd… I couldn’t have said it better myself as to how we ID’ers think! I happened to stumble upon this old post and your thoughts are so succinct and explains how I feel on a daily basis always looking around for something to improve on (even if it has won design awards and is a successful product!); I am picking things apart! But that is what I love about ID.

The reason I came across this post is because the gentleman who posted about going into ID after a degree in interiors peaked my interest; as I also early on had thought I wanted to be an interior designer, but ended up going for ID and haven’t looked back. Turns out I had always wanted to be an ID’er, except I had little understanding of the field itself or as some people think; thought it was related to engineering.

I am curious to find out where the original poster, Rimmer, ended up? If you are still out there, I’d love to hear a follow up; especially since I am an older ID graduate.

Rimmer is spot on.

I’m wrapping up the first semester of a 3 year grad program and can 100% verify, if you don’t have developed sketching or CAD skills, you will most likely not be offered much in the way of classes to develop these in your program. All your catching up will need to be outside of your regular load, which is heavy.

After several conversations with my dept head, he essentially downplayed the importance of sketching and CAD skills. . . siting his own successful career as a project manager for a design firm.