jagodaj
Because of location.
kolivansemen
Because my parent had not enough money to get me to normal school...

Re: Why did you choose your school?

December 7th, 2016, 5:08 am

markindiawell1
nyc post :wink:

February 26th, 2017, 1:28 pm

itsjohnthronton
We don't really get to choose schools here, its the desire of our parents.
designplusmorna
1. I chose my school based on how the I.D. program complemented my existing skill set. I'd gone to art school so I didn't need the visual/aesthetic training. The school I chose for I.D. was the only school (at the time) in Canada that taught Solidworks... so I went for the technical training.
2. There was a 3rd year co-op.
3. I wasn't willing to move cities so that limited my choice to 2 schools.

In the same situation, I would make the same choice. Every school has it's way of teaching and placing emphasis on different aspects of design. If you are trying to decide, go to the open house and look at student projects. In Toronto, there is something called the Rocket show. It's a competition that brings together the thesis projects from graduating students from 3 or 4 schools. I'd highly recommend checking it out if you are trying to decide which school to go to. There may be something like it in other cities.

At the end of the day, school is a small step to becoming an industrial designer. Once you start working, there is a lot to learn on the job.
sajuroma
Hello anyone!! :D

I always wanted to get in to ID but, I took other routes and now I want to go back to school and do what I really want. DESIGN. I live in Houston TX and I have been looking for a Good school to start my education. I know We have UH, but I have nothing to compare and if I go with what WWW have to say, It sounds like if you are not in the East coast or abroad you have no chance get a good career. I also read about Denver U. and some of the Art institutes.

If possible I would like to have a fresh opinion on this schools the bad the Good and the ... no just the bad and the Good.

Thanks

August 29th, 2017, 4:43 am

MariaWoodson
I heard a lot of questions about why did I choose my school? Because it was the nearest school to my house.
ralphzoontjens
full self-realization
full self-realization
Coroflot: 76078
sajuroma,
Have you made a decision yet?

I lived in Austin for a year and it is booming with design.
The drive would allow you to still spend your weekends in Houston.
If you are confident enough consider just starting a design business and learn independently, within the community over there.
I know Jon Kolko teaches in Austin but his program is very expensive.
http://www.id-z.one
IDZone - Product Design || Visualisation || 3D Printing
cyclopsebunny
yo wrote:Why did you choose your school? Looking back would you choose it again?
I grew up in a relatively small town and considered myself a relatively big fish in a small pond. I chose Pratt because of its location NYC and Frank Sinatra. "If you can make it there, you can make it anywhere." I wanted a challenge, and a bigger pond. I got it and a good but non-traditional education. I would not trade the experience, but yes, I promptly left NYC after school. When I decided to go to graduate school, I had a different set of criteria. :)

November 6th, 2018, 10:25 pm

Eric_LeClair
I actually got forced into mine. I had NO interest in learning programming. I kind of do now but not back then. I am glad though one of our instructors told me something that still haunts me to this day. "Today when you go home, I want you to look in the mirror . . . that's the person that's stopping your from success'. I didn't get it what it meant then but I do now.