March 7th, 2009, 2:15 am

tarngerine
full self-realization
full self-realization
funnyface wrote:I'm just starting to look at ID programs and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the Art Institutes? They are really the only one's with an Industrial Design program in the Northwest. Is it above and beyond worth moving to California to have the Art Center on my resume?

Thanks in advance for your opinions =)
Dude it's not even about the resume, it's about the education you receive.

For me, Art Center seems like a place you'd want to go to if you didn't want a life. All you do is work work work, and the people there that are your age (I'm assuming you are going for your first undergrad around 18 yrs) are FEW. Few active student orgs, no dorm life. Completely missing out on the college experience.

RISD - Artsy fartsy douchebags who draw penises on everything and think they're the shit.
CMU -so awesome possum multidisciplinary opportunities, but not enough drawing emphasis after sophomore year first semester, so we don't have as flashy sketches as ACCD does, which makes me sad.

March 7th, 2009, 2:21 am

ineo
step three
step three
tarngerine, thats exactly the reason I didnt even apply to art center. Its on a hill, which means you would have to rent an apartment down the hill, and then drive up every single day just to go to school (there is no way you will walk up that hill with little sleep and tons of markers/foam core). The grads are great ad all, but its not worth it at the expense of fun/life. i guess thats just my opinion though

March 7th, 2009, 10:31 am

bepster
full self-realization
full self-realization
I think Ineo raises a good point. even though sure about the "hill" issue... I almost detect some sarcasm there, no?
But location can be a very good thing for your education if you know how to use it.
I study in Manhattan, so I have all these fantastic opportunities to meet and network with creative people in the business.
But nobody will take your hand and show you how to network though, these are things you have to do outside of school.

March 7th, 2009, 12:12 pm

tarngerine
full self-realization
full self-realization
Yea, if anything, go there after your first undergrad if you realize you want to specialize in something else. Like I plan to go there for Entertainment Design if I find that ID isn't for me.

March 7th, 2009, 12:59 pm

funnyface
Thanks for the input! I probably should have gave you a little more insight into my background. I'm actually 27 and have both a bachelors in music with communications and a masters in business. I've been doing marketing/sales/business development since I graduated from my bachelors. I'm looking for a career change and fell in love with the idea of industrial design. I wish it was available when I WAS 18, or that I was aware of it then. You guys have brought up some good points and I'll definitely have to ponder more.

March 7th, 2009, 1:26 pm

ineo
step three
step three
well if you already have a degree-
art center is probably your best choice. Most students there are in the same situation and are much more serious as undergrads then most other schools.

March 8th, 2009, 4:45 pm

kepano
step two
step two
As a current Art Center student, I would agree that it would be very tough to come in straight out of high school. I already have a bachelor's degree in Biology from a liberal arts school. I did not want the "college experience" again. Art Center kicks your ass and that's a good thing. If you need to do some soul-searching I wouldn't recommend it.

As for "the hill", I quite like it myself. It's a meditative yet intensely paced place, away from the miasma of Los Angeles but close enough to be part of that great design community.

March 10th, 2009, 9:08 am

cavsball42
step one
step one
G_Rod wrote:Anyone got anything to say about Auburn?

Just wondering what the view is on us..
I have to say that what I got from Auburn has played a huge role in getting me to where I am. I think that the combination of their focuses on style, functionality, and methodology are broad enought to give graduates a slight advantage over other schools that may be more focused on more specific areas of design.

April 9th, 2009, 1:21 pm

deeptikundra
I am a first timer here, I was just curious to know if anybody has other feedback on RIT? (apart from the weather and location)
-Deepti