February 28th, 2007, 9:19 am

josht
step two
step two
Op,

UC would still be your best bet if you are "really looking for that strong business side as well as the ID" (although I'm somewhat insulted by that comment as well). Just because you're in a school that does well in it's business major, doesn't mean you'll get it through some sort of osmosis by being in the design studio of that school. Honestly, where you really get an understanding of business is by actually being out in the working world and getting hands on experience. UC's co-op program is bar none, THE BEST out of any design school you'll find. This is the reason they're so highly ranked. I'm sure their classes are well taught too, but the big turn on for employers is knowing they're getting a fresh graduate who STILL has loads of experience under their belt.
If you're still not sure, check yo's post.

February 28th, 2007, 12:29 pm

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
palval87 wrote:Yo,
I am curious as to why you have such a strong opinion?

1> Experience = Gold, and witht eh coop program you get that
2> Based on the portfolios coming out of UC that I have been seeing
3> Based on interns I've worked with

February 28th, 2007, 1:20 pm

ViolentTIK
Being that you are coming right out of high school my best bet for you is to "LOOK AT EVERY SCHOOL no matter what unless you are afraid to leave your mothers embrace"…and if so you will get over that quick so don’t be afraid to try something new and go overseas or something like that. There are tons of schools all over the place that each will give you a unique experience and allow you to absorb allot more than your never-ending workload. I based allot of my decisions about my college career on the teachers who I was going to learn from rather than what co-op program I was going to be in. Not to talk any trash but I read an article about Cincinnati and I would not go there just based on the one teacher has the Pontiac Aztec under her belt and I would not want to learn that thought process for anything. Many great colleges get such things as sponsored studios and in my opinion this is great and equal to any co-op program because it gives you the same experience and many times if you are good enough you will get a job offer..and or internship for the summer and still get the same benefit you would with co-op. These sponsored studios will happen all the time if the school is good and has the creditability to bring in some solid companies. Just be happy with where you are going and feel confident that your wad of cash u will drop is going to be the best fit for you. I had a classmate in college that love design but just did not fit with the college. After 2 years he quit…went and did some freelance work as he worked on getting some of the academics out of the way. Only to then enroll in college in Europe and finally find his stride and best atmosphere to develop his skills to suit his needs. In the end man…look at 10 schools….shoot maybe 20 and get every bit of information you can about them…and their staff. U will find out within the first 2 years if design in for you so to have a school that has more options might be best….but if you feel strongly about really wanting to do design…keep shopping. Also to comment on the business side that is great…but to reinforce a previous response you will learn allot about this when you work for a studio. I would rather have a solid designer that can sketch new and actually see their product in 3D and let the design manager deal with the business plan. Anyways good luck to you….you are young be free and design your heart out. Also lense flair filters in Photoshop are not good ideas to make your drawing pop….and just because it is clear plastic and has an LCD screen does not mean it is a good idea….just thought you should know this before hand.

February 28th, 2007, 4:46 pm

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
[quote="ViolentTIK"Many great colleges get such things as sponsored studios and in my opinion this is great and equal to any co-op program because it gives you the same experience.[/quote]

actually they are exteamly different. A sponsered studio is nothing like a co-op. A sponsered studio is a class where you might meet a professional a couple of times. A co-op is an intenenship.

I am not basing my opinion on my personal experience, I went to neither of these schools. I'm objectivly basing it on portfolios I've seen over the past 5-8 years.

February 28th, 2007, 5:45 pm

ViolentTIK
I think the sponsored studios differ depending on where you go. In my case I had professional designers come in every class meeting for the sponsored studios I worked in. This allowed me to have valuable feedback and it even gave me my first internship for 9 months following the studio. Without the CO-OP program I still developed a very diverse and strong skill set that allows me to take on anything that is thrown in my face from 3D SLA’s and renderings to hand skills. My diverse college atmosphere has allowed me to land jobs without even drawing…or thinking about a particular product I will be designing until literally days before I sign the contract… and this is all without the assistance of CO-OP. I would be interested in finding out how many of those CO-OPs turn into solid offers in the end. Don’t take this wrong as I am dissing the whole co-op thing because it is great. But to wrap it all up you will get many of the same benefits if you were to dedicate yourself to developing your design skills at any of the credited colleges for design. Colleges can only show you the door and you get out of it what you put in. Maybe it was just the professors...or the luck of the draw in having a phenomenal class to draw inspiration and diversity from. I followed your link “Yo” and realized you work closely with an old friend of mine that also might have an interesting take on colleges and design….pass along a howdy to mayden from an old class mate adam weber. Pick the right college and love what you do and you can never go wrong.

February 28th, 2007, 5:48 pm

NATE
step four
step four
Disclaimer: I went to UC.

When I attended, a lot of us thought that there were some serious issues within the department that HAD to be addressed. By the time we graduated, we realized that EVERY program at every school across the country (regardless of major) has issues and none of them are immune to problems. Schools seem to be ranked based on the overall experience. I don't think any one of them ranks #1 in every category, which means that no matter where you end up, there will be another school with a certain set of attributes that may be "better" than the ones at your insititution.

To 2nd Yo's thoughts, a sponsored studio is not close to the same experience as a co-op. Working in a design studio for 40+ hours a week as full time design co-op exposes you to a very different side of design. It's not an academic environment like a sponsored studio: it's a taste of what life after graduation will bring. A sponsored studio is very much still teacher/student atmostphere, whereas a co-op is closer to a colleague/colleague realtionship. And doing it for 8+ hours a day at a job is different than the experience you get working on things during a 3 hours studio, and dividing your focus the rest of the day on additional classes.

It seems a bit short-sighted to let your opinion of one teacher ruin your overall feeling about an entire college. Everything is a learning experience, even a "bad" teacher or two. Learning how to deal with those imperfect circumstances will prepare you for the real world.

February 28th, 2007, 8:14 pm

ViolentTIK
ART CENTER IN CALI....THATS A GOOD CHOICE.

March 1st, 2007, 3:22 pm

daaphearthrob
step three
step three
ViolentTIK... i was offered a job by 3 of my 5 co op employers one of which on my very last day of the co-op. when i graduated i took a job with a 4th company that just happened to see my work through the grapevine. having 5 internships really helped get me this gig.

just chill with the cincy bashing... every school has its pros and cons in this instance i think cincy is the better school hands down. in another situation i might say otherwise, but probably not.

March 1st, 2007, 5:06 pm

ViolentTIK
I think I was misunderstood and not looking to bash schools. The only negative thing I said about Cinci was the AZTEC comment and If i hurt any feelings I apologize. There is not one other bashing of cinci because I have actually met some people from there that studied fashion. My main objective in all the rambling and explanation was giving the kid advice that he should check around to EVERY school he thinks he might want to go to and make sure it is the right fit in every aspect.....and I realize the question was only between 2 schools. Reading about design schools and going off opinions is great but if you don't get out there and see what others schools have to offer than you are selling yourself short on what you may get somewhere else. Every school has their pros and cons and you look at them all. I don’t go out and buy a car without looking at 5 within the range I want. Plus depending on his portfolio he might get a better offer for a scholarship from different schools..u never know. I am basing my opinion also on the fact that the CO-OP thing is not the only way you are going to get a job and you have to go to cinci and do the co-op or people will not even look at you. I went to CCS and the list of successful designers from Motorola to Nike and everywhere in between including someone most designer jock for his work on star wars….. Doug chiang (ALL of these designers seem to do just fine without the CO-OP). Also any school that is creditable will help you get as many internships and experience in which ever direction your heart desires. I am not going to say anything more about the school I went to because I am not a vain person…and yes I disliked tons of things about my college also. So if I need to bash I will bash my own college if you need me to. I was also basing allot of my suggestions on the fact that PALVAL87 has high standards and I wanted to give him actually input for him to consider to make sure he gets what he wants period. If he goes to cinci there is not a doubt in my mind that he will come out being a fantastic well rounded designer. “Palval87” young and needs all the information we can give him. Again this is why I gave him an example of my friend that went to school but did not find his exact design fit until he went to Europe to study design. Love what you do and you will never go wrong.

March 6th, 2007, 12:07 am

desain
I am currently attending the school of Art and Desitgn at UMich.

I was not really sure about my future when I came to the program, since there was no structure to the curriculum. Although, I feel that studying at UMich for the past three years have taught me a lot. Thre great thing about Michigan is that there are plenty of opportunity to take great classes from other schools within the university. There are many classes in the Engineering school, Business school, and Architecture school that Design students can take that are challenging and fulfilling in addition to the Art and Design school requirements.

I highly recommend UMich to anyone who wants to develop intellectual skills in the field of art and design.

March 9th, 2007, 6:41 pm

Kung Fu Jesus
full self-realization
full self-realization
i'll speak from personal experience. i didn't like the school at UM, i checked it out. I haven't worked with a designer from that school worth a lick. if i had to pick between the two, i'd pick cinci. if you aren't sure what major you want to do, goto a junior college and figure it out there, save some money/grief.
"Furniture that is too obviously designed is very interesting, but too often belongs only in museums." - MBJ

March 10th, 2007, 10:29 am

desain
Yes, I do see your point. i guess UMich is not for everybody. Maybe going to junior college or other second-rated college is suited for some people.

March 16th, 2007, 6:38 pm

erastusboy
step two
step two
desain wrote:Yes, I do see your point. i guess UMich is not for everybody. Maybe going to junior college or other second-rated college is suited for some people.
damn haha