palval87
step one
step one
Hello,

I am a high school senior. I applied to many schools for industrial design, and the two that have made it into my top choices are UC and UMICH. I am very conflicted over which one to go to.

I know that UC is being recognized as one of the top ID schools in the country right now, and the co-op program is a great way to gain experience, and make connections within the industry. I was really impressed with the student work, and the professors. Also, when I visited their campus, it was one of the best campuses I had seen, in terms of facilities. However, I have a major concern that although the design school is so prestigious, the rest of the school is sub-par. The other colleges in the University are not nearly as recognized. I have a concern because if I wanted to take classes in other areas, such as business or engineering, or if the design program collaborated with the other departments for projects, it would not be as valuable. Also, my last concern is although the co-op program is great, I wonder how the students maintain friendships and stability if every 3 months, they are travelling to a new place where they do not know anyone.

The Univ. of Michigan is recognized as a very srtrong school as a whole. However, the design school is not ranked, and I was concerned that they do not make you declare a major. When I visited, they told me that a student gets to basically choose the direction they want to go in. The reason this bothers me is because I have the feeling that their is little structure to their program if everyone is doing something different. The reason I am considering it so much is because of how strong their other departments are. Their business and engineering programs are nationally ranked as some of the best. I think it would be great to work with other departments on projects. However, the lack of structure make me wonder how much I would actually be able to work with the other colleges in the University.

I know this is a lot, but I am having a big problem trying to make this decision, and time is running out. Any responses would be helpful.

February 26th, 2007, 11:42 am

no_spec
full self-realization
full self-realization
do you want to be a designer or something else?

February 26th, 2007, 12:03 pm

daaphearthrob
step three
step three
well put no spec.

the other programs at the university of cincinnati are just fine. if you want to be a designer then there is no better place than UC. if you put forth the effort and have some level of passion that school will more than adequately prepare you for the real world and when you leave you'll have a good idea of where you want to fit into the design community.

i have worked with design grads from michigan but not nearly as many as from Cincinnati. simply put Cincinnati design grads are everywhere.

it is commendable that you are interested in classes outside of design. but to be honest, no matter where you go you are going to be so bogged down with design studio work that you arent going to want to put in a ton of effort in your non design classes.

at cincinnati along with most schools you'll find it hard just to find non design electives that fit around your studio courses.

cinicinnati is very good at offering interdisciplinary design projects involving students from all design majors, and the business and engineering schools. I'll be honest i learned more about business and engineering either on co-op or in these group projects.

February 26th, 2007, 12:49 pm

Khumbu77
Without a doubt, the co-op program at Cincinnati would be invaluable to you. I have an engineering undergrad and went to a school with a mandatory co-op program. I wouldn't have done it any other way. The practical experience and professional connections I gained on the job prepared me for the real world better than people from other schools without co-op programs (U of M grads included).

If you want tons of theoretical knowledge, go to UM; if you want to learn stuff that you will actually use on the job, go to Cincinnati.

Don't worry about keeping friends when you change locations every 3 months. You will go through it with everyone else in your class, and you'll keep friends quite easily thru email and such. One problem is moving every 3 months - it gets old after a while.

So, if I were you I'd go to Cincinnati - It is nationally recognized for ID, plus it's got the co-op program - neither of which UM can claim. If you're concerned about learning about marketing or engineering, then let your co-op employer know that. They will gladly provide you with the knowledge and experience in those areas that you will NEED as an ID.

February 26th, 2007, 12:50 pm

rollermt
step three
step three
you've presented your concerns with both schools. Based on what you've said, your concerns with Cincinnati seem like secondary ones, while your concerns with Michigan's program seem directly related to your design education.

I'll admit my bias as a UC grad, but you shouldn't be overly concerned with the other programs at the school. As a matter of fact, the engineering and music schools are nationally ranked. Every school will have strengths and weaknesses.

February 26th, 2007, 5:53 pm

rationalist
step two
step two
Design firms will only care how strong the design program you attended was, and what you got out of it obviously. They will not care one lick whether your school was in the top 30 in US News & World Report Top Universities. They will not care if the business program was not top ten- they'll be impressed that you took the initiative to take a business class at all (provided that you didn't need that extra time for your design work).

Go to UC. Don't look back.

February 26th, 2007, 6:01 pm

no_spec
full self-realization
full self-realization
nobody thinks UofM has a bad program, far from it.

...lots of people change majors and if your not all that comitted to ID, perhaps thats a better choice.

February 26th, 2007, 6:24 pm

palval87
step one
step one
Thanks for all of the responses. You guys have been a real help.

The reason I am having this problem is because my goals are not just restricted to ID. Because of all of the praise Design people have been getting in the business world lately (i.e. Business Week -- Design is the new MBA), I am really looking for that strong business side as well as the ID. I am passionate about ID, but I have high standards and hope to achieve more than just designing.

February 27th, 2007, 8:02 am

no_spec
full self-realization
full self-realization
"...I have high standards and hope to achieve more than just designing."

I can forgive this hubris because your in high school and have no idea just how broad - complex and difficult good design really is.

do yourself a favor and try to decide what's most important to you, what about a business degree is attractive?

February 27th, 2007, 11:15 am

palval87
step one
step one
Yeah, I know I am sort of going out on a limb here, but basically what I am trying to get across is that I want to be able to function in the well in the business world as a designer. Does that make any more sense??

February 27th, 2007, 11:55 am

no_spec
full self-realization
full self-realization
we hardly work in a vacuum - we all funtion in the business world as designers!

however, functioning in the design world as a businessman is a different question.

3 months on 3 months off

February 27th, 2007, 2:55 pm

milkingdesign
here are some tips

-I would go to michigan if you want to be a design director/mba type
At UC, we spend a lot of hours in studio working with our hands, not reading books

-beware of the business week buzz, its trying to push mags

-the other programs at UC do suck for the most part

-if you have any doubt of ID go to Mich, you can go to one of the best business schools in the country

btw

...and about missing your friends, when we are together we just drink three times as hard - dont try this at home
"Only idiots quote designers"
- Zaha Rashid Ives McGee

Re: 3 months on 3 months off

February 27th, 2007, 7:26 pm

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
UC.

The end.

No comparision.

Nothing else to say.

February 27th, 2007, 10:46 pm

palval87
step one
step one
Yo,
I am curious as to why you have such a strong opinion?

February 27th, 2007, 11:14 pm

Ujay
step two
step two
lol I think Yo's post was funny. Yo has been supporting UC in the Industrial Design school thread, but I think you've read through that. Hm, palval87, I know that you were accepted into University of Illinois- urbana champaign, and I was wondering why you took that out of your choices for college.