PLEASE heLP < dOES Tell me about ID in brighton>?

the course is in school of engineer , not in art and design ,
i am afraid that is engineer course more than design course ,
does any one have advise / info of this school???

I suggest checking out the program. When looking into schools I found ones out of the Fine Arts department, Liberal Arts Department, Design Department, Craft Arts Department, Engineering Department, Technologies Department, and even one out of the Architecture Department.

1. Go and meet with the faculty, ask to see student work samples, and ask what their academic focus is, and were their alumni are currently working.

2. Then go to the next school and ask the same questions.

3. Then make a list of what you hope to accomplish with your degree and future career. Hopefully more than a job and money.

4. Then compare the schools and how each could benefit you accomplishing your goals.

No two schools teach or approach design in the same way, a school should push you to learn and develop your skills on your own, while providing skilled and knowledgeable professors to mentor and guide you along your way. The school you ultimately choose should fit your goals, if you want to be more mechanical and materials oriented, then your school should be. If you want to be more conceptual and bluesky then so should your school.

It is also important to find out if the school provide assistance in attaining internships, or co-ops. I would recommend that you have atleast one prior to graduating, nothing can prepare you or equal the learning these will provide you.

Checked out their website. Which program are you looking at? I found a few on

Design Technology:

Career opportunities: > Graduates are equipped with the confidence, motivation and skills to find employment in industry and design consultancies, to create their own businesses - in product design, computer-aided engineering, manufacturing and management - or to pursue postgraduate qualifications.

Syllabus Years 1 and 2
Physics of Technology
Product Creation, Management and Finance
Computer-aided Engineering
Electronics
Mathematics
Materials Selection and Processing
Engineering Design and workshop
Technology projects
Mechanics and Dynamics
Structured Programming
Optional placement year

Final year
Major Technology projects
Computer-aided Engineering
Advanced Materials Selection and Design
Engineering Design
Microcontrollers

Options include:
Product Exploitation
Operations Strategy
Materials Conservation

Personally this is not an Industrial Design degree, it is a Design Engineering Technologies degree…aka 3 year CAD monkey degree. With this you will most likely be stuck in a cubical modeling up other designers concepts in autocad, Pro/E, or SolidWorks. Not out in the world interacting with the users, and drawing up cool, innovative new products.

General rule ID degrees are 4-5 years, and include drawing, rendering, and model making courses. I bet you are in the UK, so you will have to find the UK equivalent of IDSA (http://www.idsa.org) and locate accredited schools.

D

check out this site. Look under Directory of ID education.

Thanks for your kindly help , it is my course detail,
the tutor haev told me that it is a design base course , but look at the course structure , doesn’t sounds like a design base course

Course title Product Design
Award BSC HONS

Summary This course will suit those who want to combine artistic flair with an interest in designing products that people will want to use. The course will help develop skills in communicating design concepts, in manufacturing prototypes and in evaluating products for the market place, leading to careers in small and large companies.
Professional accreditation This course is accredited by the Institute of Engineering Designers (IED).
Subject areas Radical change is affecting both the practice of product design and the context in which good quality, innovative products are developed. This course combines engineering and design practice with artistic insight into the vital technical/creative dialogue needed for the development of world-class products. All aspects of the process are studied, from concept visualisation through to manufacture, installation and end use.
Particular emphasis is placed on modern practice, such as computer-mediated design, rapid prototyping and the need to consider the environment in the choice of appropriate materials. The creative/technical focus of the course is augmented with components promoting interpersonal and team-management skills.

Study pattern Through project work, students experience design as a holistic process from the outset with an engagement in design, engineering disciplines, and their associated cultural and economic contexts. The industrial placement year draws on the university’s successful experience of research and consultancy. In the final year students engage in both individual projects and professional practice. Students are also encouraged to participate in external design competitions and events throughout the course.
Career opportunities The cross-disciplinary approach to the course equips graduates to meet the demand for design and innovation in this crucial area of industry and commerce.

Syllabus Year 1
Introduction and foundation
Engineering workshop
Innovation
Engineering Design
Materials
Integrating project
Introduction to self-directed work
Historical and Critical Studies
Engineering Management
Manufacture
Design Communications
Year 2
New Product Management
Computer-mediated Design
Predictive Modelling Methods
Three-dimensional Design for Production
Programme-related studies
Integrating project
Design Business Technology
Energy Handling
Mechatronics

Year 3
Industrial placement

Year 4
Professional Practice
Production and Operations Management
Self-directed project
Research dissertation
Degree show

I am still questioning the language used with in the description. The discription sounds about right, but just remember “Design” is a very generic and misused word these days. I wouls still sugest visiting the campus and asking various questions, and viewing some student work.

I have no clue to the hireing process in the UK, however I would love to make it there someday to retrace my family heritage. In the US the ability to rapidly crank out clean and fluid sketched with accurate perspectives are key, couple that with a basic mechaincal understanding, and a fair understanding of materials and processes, and you will find a job in any situation.

Maybe before you visit schools you should contact some ID firms in your area and talk to one of the design managers. Tell them that you are a yougn student looking to persue a degree in ID, and that you are evaluating schools. Then ask them what schools they would recomend, and what skills they look for when hiring designers fresh out of school.