your personal identity/logo

You just have to keep an eye out for cg.
2h4c0gz.jpg
If Doug Funny can do it, then so can cg.

I agree with rkuchinsky - a logo is mostly a display of your 2D skill and mainly another piece of content for your portfolio. It isn’t really recognizable unless you’re very famous. Finally, most of us aren’t very good at graphic design so it’s a high risk thing. Just for fun, look at how many successful ID firms even have logos (excluding logotypes). Now, how many of them are really good logos? (hint: it’s a small number)

I wrote an article for Product Design Hub awhile back where I urged students to avoid building a logo. In particular, they’re always poorly executed and based on initials. Here were my joke versions:

I know a graphic designer who says that the hardest thing to design, no matter how good your graphic design skills, is your own identity. It’s just too personal to be objective about it. I know for sure that is something I’ve struggled with. I can’t seem to settle on a logo, whenever I am looking for a new job I always end up with something different and am still not satisfied. Actually, by current logo is somewhat similar to the bad examples posted above. Oh oh…

Mine is attached. It’s a ligature that has caught on. (my name’s Patrick Branigan)
behance_avatar.jpg

Here’s all mine.

Previous incarnation -
rkuchinsky_logos2.jpg
will try to dig out some of the even older versions later and maybe can find some of the tossed concepts too.

R

I don’t think mine is really a logo but just my name. My graphic design friend did it up quick i’m sure.

its on my main page. http://www.id-studio.ca/

Here’s mine:

Though it spells out Pholt it is frequently misread as Loft, so i guess i still have some tweaking to do. To me, it’s more the shape of the thing that tells the story, like an autograph doesn’t necessarily spell out someone’s complete name. But I haven’t been using it much lately, I’m mostly selling myself as a freelancer nowadays, using just my first and last name.

Good advice. And I have to say your mock logos are a lot better than many real ones I’ve seen.

I’d have to say that most of the personal logos I’ve seen here (but not limited to this thread) and elsewhere are very weak. I think better to not try. Most take away instead of add to the impression.

Feel free to pick on mine too if you like :slight_smile: I’m just calling it as I see it.

R

R, I do have to ask. What is with the arrow? I have seen it for as long as I have been reading your post and always know it to be you, but what made you go with that symbol.

Dunno really where it came from. Just seemed directional and sorta evocative of my strategic, forward looking approach. I explore a lot of other things before I settled on that. Will try to post some earlier concepts. Since I’ve been using for about 6 years now, and people started to recognize it/identify it with me, I’ve kept it around in one form or the other.

Previously, my thing was pink color. Had pink in my personal identity for about 6 years prior to any arrow stuff. The pink arrow was the crossover point transitioning one to the other while still keeping recognition. Didn’t really plan it though thinking from A to B to C. Just sorta worked out that way thinking about going from A to B then later B to C.

I’ve been doing (or trying) personal identities since sometime in high school
I think one way or another.

R

I have not laughed that loud about a post in awhile.

I had the same impression about the atom, and I find your work to have something of an “atomic age” optimistic futuristic feel, but this may be my own layering?

Most people on here know I’m a pretty inuitive, shoot from the hop type. The “yo” name was selected on a whim without much thought and it just sort of stuck, the “yo” avatar was quickly done up for fun, king of inspired by old Mtv logos that I got onto from looking at yo Mtv raps logos, and it is 3dimentional 2d graphic and I liked the play on that being an industrial designer and also as my real name became synonymous with with “yo” it was like that persona was be oming dimensional.

I frequently sign my emails “MD” and again this kind of caught on with people just calling me that around the office… So I just wanted to play with the initials in a similar 2d/3d way, I was also looking at some of MC Escher’s work and I was a serious Nintedo 64 junkie in the day so bodda boom bodda bing…: in my mind it has always been more of a 30 minute fun exercise that is more a place holder than a logo… But I haven gotten around to re-doing it. Eventually I will hire a graphic designer to do it.

I have also always been a fan of Syd Mead and Frank Lloyd Wright’s signatures!

To, can’t remember if I ever told/asked you this -

I’ve also been signing R forever (like since I learned to write) as my name is pretty long (also hence my stylized signature). Also RMK when I was 4 or so for while.

Do you find when you sign off an email MD people always do the same and abbreviate their name? I’ve noticed over the past few years pretty consistently. John Doe will write me an email and sign John Doe or or John, I’ll reply back signing R, then all future emails he’ll write JD or J. Kinda funny.

R

Hello all.

This is a great discussion. I come from the simple/clean/logotype approach, but have actually been using a logo (later post).

Anyway, I think as product designers it is expected we are at minimum able to point out and recognize good graphic design. Often we are in discussions about product graphics, packaging, button placement and icons, etc. I was recently doing some packaging stuff and ended up working with a graphic designer in the studio to create some artwork/typography for the front. We discussed how the graphic interacts with each side/surface of the package, how it wraps to hidden surfaces, what is revealed to expose a new surprise, where emphasis should be placed, how the user will pick the package off the shelf, what do they want to see first, etc. Super challenging, but super fun!

I think it goes back to exposure and forcing ourselves to keep our eyes open. Personally, I find myself on websites like graphic-exchange.com as often as I find myself on sites such as this one or reading graphic design/branding books more than id books. We have to play catch up to those who specialize in graphics. It’s a tough task, but I think we should all at least have opinions of what we like.

Justin, I would disagree with how you have described your logo. Your logotype is italic, outlined, and has a splatter behind it. You explain that it is not used anywhere else, so this only makes it more foreign/confusing/less simple to a reader. Where did that logo come from? What does it relate to? Why is the paint splash relevant? What does this tell me about you? These are some of the questions I would be asking myself if I saw your logo, now knowing it does not appear anywhere else.

I agree with NURB. I created this simple what I guess you could call a logo for the cover page of my portfolio. I do not havepersonal cards so I do not use it anywhere else.
ATTACHMENTS

LogoPage1.jpg (5.28 KiB) Viewed 240 times

D.

I just picked up a book called, “Nice to Meet You Too.” I think it was a new release. Here are a few images from the book. I am a big fan of black/white or white/black, large type, information nicely displayed…as you will see by what I have selected from the book. Anyway, 160+ pages of hotness. $40 for $26 on Amazon.

D.
IMG_6677.JPG
IMG_6676.JPG
IMG_6673.JPG

D.
IMG_6686.JPG
IMG_6689.JPG
IMG_6693.JPG

If I’ve gone overboard with examples let me know. Just some awesome stuff. Loving the book.

Most of what is posted is nicely lined type with some unexpected twist. Colored sides of bus cards, sliced type, angled all over type.

D.
IMG_6694.JPG
IMG_6691.JPG
IMG_6690.JPG

If you take a look at his portfolio. The splash graphic is everywhere. I think he does a nice job creating his own brand with the graphics.

Finally, here is my identity and how it applies to my book/resume/thank your or cover letters. The green is on its way out. Probably just all white and black.

Cover and bus cards. First page says hello. Open all the way and you get Contents + resume/cover letter that are slightly smaller than the book.

D.

IMG_6696.JPG
IMG_6695.JPG