your own mundane things

What are the small valuable things that you do in your everyday life
that you think people are missing because they are always in a hurry?

To me, it’s every morning I open the window, look out and breathe in the fresh air.
Then think what a beautiful world we live in and how amazing things are related together.
It just makes me think and it’s when ideas flow.

What’s yours?

That’s deep! I kid, With me, its the ability to maintain a strict sleep cycle, I hate sleeping in (though when I do, it feels sinfully good.) I never feel at 100% when I sleep in for the day!

Listening to my 10 month old son play in his crib before he gets up for the day. No matter what I’ve got going on, that always puts me in a great mood.

The next thing is the feel of that first sip of fresh coffee of the morning. Get’s the blood flowing.

I agree, but I tend to sleep in on the weekend but it normally is not any later than 9 o’clock. When I read this post it made me think of two things.

The first is that I think we no longer know what real fresh food is now a days. I remember my grandfather, which lived on a farm as a child and still ran the farm until the day he passed, always brought home true fresh vegetables and meats every week. These items were the best things you could ever put in your mouth. From the heirloom tomatoes to the fresh pork that he would buy from the local butcher that he knew, you could not make a bad meal. The farm has sense been split up and gone but now being a guy that loves to cook I find that the local grocery store does not provide this kind of experience. I think that most Americans and maybe even other countries now a days have no idea what it is like to really taste a fresh off the vine tomato or a plucked from the ground carrot or potato. Or when you do get fresh food it cost you much more because it comes from a “Fresh Market”. This really bothers me when cooking a meal.

The other part of this post is that I just did a long hiking trip in southwest Utah. I hiked the red rock canyons and much of the dessert and it was the most beautiful sight I have ever seen. I remember one night waking up early in the morning and walking out of my tent and it was still dark out and seeing every star you could ever imagine and thinking wow this is the most amazing thing I had ever seen. And believe it or not it was the most inspiring design trip I have ever taken. I wrote for days in my design journal with multiple ideas and had a real sense of clearing my head.

Even worse, people are used to the taste of the food they have now… Give them fresh fruits and heatlhy animal meats and it’s just not what they’re used to. :confused:

When I used to play competitive golf I would see the sunrise almost every morning. I miss that, but I try to see it at least a few times each summer anyway.

The smell of a freshly cut lawn, and the smell in the air that comes off of the streets after a rain storm. And an odd(er) one; the smell of coal smoke in the winter; it reminds me of when I was very young.

And if you’ll forgive my sentimental side for a moment, the sight of the American flag snapping in the breeze, which reminds me of my dad.

I will also add the smell of a charcoal grill. I always know I am going to not only have a good meal but a lot of fun cooking it.

In the fall I always smoke ribs and make an apple cider bbq sauce. The smell of that apple wood smoke and for hours is the best thing in the world to me. It kind of sets to fall off.

Where I live, at about 4am as light starts to return, a certain type of bird starts to chirp, then goes quiet again in about 15 minutes.
I’m not up much at that time anymore, but it’s still neat to hear. It serves both as a clock and a reminder to get some sleep.

it’s only a recent thing, but having a good breakfast is something i really value. for me, a good breakfast is simple:

Long black coffee (double espresso topped up with hot water)
Omeltte (2 eggs, splash of milk, salt and pepper)

HAPPINESS!

It’s very interesting how a lot of your own mundane things have something to do with

morning
smell
food

I guess the mundane things that you give the most meaning to are
things that you do to start your day off feeling good.

Also, none of the things you guys wrote have anything to do
with what we see through our eyes.
It’s about the atmosphere but more focused on senses other than visionary.

that’s very nice.
I wish I had that where I live :slight_smile:

And if you’ll forgive my sentimental side for a moment, > the sight > of the American flag snapping in the breeze, which reminds me of my dad.

It’s about the atmosphere but more focused on senses other than visionary.

visionary adj. 1 given to seeing visions or to fanciful theories 2 having vision or foresight

visual adj. 1 of or used in seeing 2 visible

breakfast and then a 30-45 minute walk with the dog, every day, at about 6:45 on weekdays, 8:45 on weekends. Day feels weird without it. I like to start the day with a walk, clear my mind and think about what I really have to do, and what I need to avoid.

Other than design, my only other thing is eating, I’m not really knowledgeable enough to consider myself a foodie, but I’m on that path. Like design, I’m amazed at how many people don’t really make thoughtful decisions about the food and beverages they consume… just like they may not be as thoughtful as they could about the products they buy. It all ties together.

This is all so true. Seeing great fresh ingredients come together to make a great meal with an artistic presentation is a feeling like no other for me. Like I mentioned in my other post, I feel fresh food is one of the greatest recourses we have. I think chefs and designers are not much different from each other. We both use the best possible ingredients/materials to influence the people around us. Just like a great product is in a sense a work of art, so is a well thought out and prepared dish, hand crafted beer or wine.

I think if you notice all the things we mentioned include all 5 senses. To me everyones entry is more about what stimulates their senses and takes them to a comforting place.

Edit: Great topic by the way!!!

haha thanks for correcting.
I was confused at the time when I wrote that.