Yo, where did you go to art school

Just curious Yo, where did you get your art training?

… the Rhode Island School of Design for ID, and also did an exchange semester at the Cleveland Institute of Art and took the RISD Milan summer study program, which you don’t have to be a student of RISD to take and it was awesome.

Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD). Now work for M&M Mars disign Candy Pkg

My daughter will be applying to RISD. How did you like it? Was there any significant student life? How did you like ID at RISD, although my daughter is into graphic design and web design. Was there a lot of interaction with BRown kids? What were liberal arts like?

Pratt Insitute… Good Program all around… You have to self motivated though to get the most out of it… Sleep often is not an option…

Also like YO said our exchange progrmas with European Schools is great… I spent a summer at the Vitra Design Farm in the south of France…

The campus is great. I personally love Providence and thought it was a great place to go to school, if I had to move back east, I would live ther. Close to Boston, but in a much smaller, more managable city, with its own things going on. The art community is really big there.

Personally I wouldn’t recomend the ID program over some other great ones in the US or Europe, but the graphics program there is pretty solid and well respected in the industry for creating designers with a bit higher sensativity to their approach. Interaction with Brown is as much as you make of it. Personally I wanted nothing to do with it, but my wife took several classes there and hung out with a bunch of Brown kids (its not called the arm pit of the Ivy Leage for nothing).

Liberal arts classes tended to be skewed to things creative people find interesting and most if the profs in liberal arts understand student’s dedication to their studio classes. My favorites where “the history of Avante Gaurd music” and a literature class on Milton where the professor somehow worked in the film Blade Runner…

Hello Pragonetti… could you tell me about the Vitra program in Fr? Was it a school or an internship?

as to not thread-jack, feel free to PM me… thanks

about RISD, one of the senior designers at my first job had a Mechanical Eng degree from Harvard and a Masters of ID at RISD… he was just about the most capable designer I’ve ever met. I was pretty impressed with RISD after working with him

Thank you Yo and others for your responses. It was very helpful.

Pragonetti, my daughter looked at Pratt. To our dismay, she was really put off by the lack of maintenance that she witnessed in buildings. I guess the one studio that had a note from a professor noting , " please remove all art work due to leaking ceilings," had a negative effect on her. She also felt that the area was unsafe and seedy looking.

I do believe that the surrounding area is going through a rennovation; however, it will take years for it to look very upscale.

We, on the other had, liked Pratt’s offerings a lot. Oh well, one less application.

Taxguy…

That was the charm of Pratt to me. Only now the neighborhood is so much nicer and the even the campus is improving greatly… Personally I do not like it, but the new design building that they and building right now is going to be pretty nice…

I miss my long nights painting models in the hall walls and writing on the elevators walls, before they put cameras everywhere.

It is the big city… I was accepted to RISD, CCS and Art Center, but it was the opportunity in Manhattan is what really attracted me to Pratt… I also like that Pratt had a real campus, and a real university feel…

But I understand where she is coming from…

I think a lot of design schools are great, RISD Art center SCAD etc. but I think with any program it how much you put into it is how much you are going to come out with.

I have mixed views on Pratt. I work in th ny area and I have noticed that a lot of Pratt students don’t know the practical side to design. If you want a guy that can come up with crazy and unique ideas then Pratt is where you recruite from. But if you want someone who knows their way around an injection molding machine then I don’t see Pratt being the right school.

That all comes down to there abiltity to learn and want to learn the important facts of manufacturing… We have great classes for production methods… Some students just feel it isnt important, that i ther own fault… I have noticed that as well though and it bothers me…