yellow foam

what exactly is the proper title of “yellow foam” and does anybody know where to purchase it?

Thanks!

it’s rigid polyurethane foam, i just get scraps/cut-offs from school, but I think it’s originally sourced from a surfboard maker…

I’ve seen something similar, sometimes called modelling foam, which you can buy from art/sculpture suppliers, which is dark green-colored, dense as wood, but costs quite a bit…

someone helped me with this a couple of months ago… call these guys and I bet they will have what you need

www.wplindustries.com

thank you very much guys, I appreciate the help.

looks like my company is too cheap to pay for it – I have to head over to a craft store and hope the foam there will hold up :unamused:

If you find foam at a craft store, chances are it’s polystyrene; it’s awful for sculpting, and is also very sensitive to chemicals; tough to paint, etc.

Yup Deez, that looks like the stuff I used in school - Thanks! maybe I can convince the people on top to buy some next time

circular, unfortunately you are right - I ended up getting polystyrene… the flower arrangement stuff. I’ve been able to sculpt it to the right shape but priming it has proven to be a real bitch. I just slopped some spackle all over it and plan to sand it in the morning.

Is he referring to RenShape?

^ I dont think so, the renshape comes (generally) in two colors, red and blue. Each one is a different density. The green stuff is softer than the ‘normal’ yellow foam, so soft that you can stick the end of a flower directly into it. Thats why its used for flower arrangements.

Ren comes in as many colors as it does densities.

This is where we get ours from

http://www.freemansupply.com/RenShapeModelingan.htm

Also the very soft green floral foam is called “oasis”, and i can’t imagine ever trying to finish it as it’s open cell and meant to absorb water for maintaining live arrangements.

A great foam for models and prototypes is “Last-a-foam” Made by “General Plastics Manufacturing” It comes in many densities a little pricey but easy to work with and machineable. It takes bondo well and can be sanded smooth and painted. Creates a nasty dust that sticks to everything.