Worn/torn and beautiful

Those are incredible aircraft. Based on the premise of pelicans gliding over the surface of waves. They only flew a meter or two off the surface, but with great efficiency. Amazing photographs. Anything Cold War era is eerily beautiful to me.

More on Ekranoplan’s: ВВС России - Ekranoplanes:

Sometimes I think it’s a shame to see all of those old classics “restored”

But, could I live with those dents and scars if it was mine?

I love old cars, and rat rods too. I had the opportunity to buy a 30’s Cadillac coupe, driver unrestored, I regret not picking it up( it was super cheap from a barn find).

My brother got my fathers drafting kit from when my dad was in high school. But I got my grandfathers tool, that he made himself. I might put up a few pics.

Another example:

also still in use…

yours mo-i

From some field research. That thing is 30+ yo, still in use daily. Now how do you design something that will make him replace it?

Now how do you design something that will make him replace it?

I think you design something that will make the user want to replace it… an extra word. :wink:

And if that were my beat-to-sh*t old hammer, I’d want one of these… Vaughan & Bushnell S2 Split-Head Hammer; Shock-isolated, modular, replaceable, sustainable components.

by ATOMdesign/Phoenix, AZ. IDEA Winner, 2007. International Design; Best of Category 2007.

The opposite of worn torn, but that is one beautiful hammer. The extending of the wood to the end eliminates the abrupt change in material strength where the handle meets the head. I would select this as a future design collectors item.

Both hammers are beautiful. Will be interesting to see the framing hammers longevity though. Definately looks like it could be worth hanging on to.

Found a lot of interesting stuff at http://www.modern50.com

Hey guys,

having some days off by the sea…

And now I am asking myself when is worn and torn beautiful and when is it not. Sure I made my mind up concerning the
outtakes above, but I’d like to hear your reasoning, discuss:

Have a nice week, everyone.

Yours mo-i

I also think somethings make a great photo, but maybe not so nice everyday… that no entry sign for example, some really fantastic texturing that makes for a beautiful photo subject in the right light… would I want it at the end of my street? no… but your right mo-i, somehow in a sea-side town it kind of works for me.

Bjorn, I was banging around down at the shop yesterday and remembered this old household scale tucked away in a cabinet. It came to me through my mom when she got tired of tripping over it, she got it from my dad’s mother. Mom used it for putting together batches of canned vegetable relishes and such. I’ve used it mostly as a freight scale, and for mixing plaster, etc. It’s still deadly accurate and will indicate 1 ounce increments (11 US pennys (don’t ask me how I happen to know this…)).

What catches my eye is the ogee-base; the only “decorative” curves on it. Manufactured in that confused era somewhere 1890-1910; leaning toward the modern, but still attached to the past.

It is labeled; Columbia Family Scale; manufactured by Landers, Frary & Clark New Britain, Conn. Pat. Applied for, 1907.

A quick google of Lander, Frary & Clark revealed an interesting history of the company, deeper than I would have suspected.

Starting in 1829 as a foundry (making cupboard latches and other hardware) they would eventually evolve into the largest, and most diverse, household appliance manufacturer in the United States; notably toasters and coffee perculators.

"The number of products manufactured by Landers over the years was enormous and their scope amazing. They made stainless steel bull-nose rings and electric ranges, kitchen scales and vacuum bottles, window hardware and ice skates, mouse traps and percolators, can openers, cutlery and aluminum cookware, and thousands of other products. And somehow, almost until the very end, it seemed to work out profitably. " > [ibid link]

They manufactured under the “Universal” name (the GE of the day) for decades and were finally absorbed by … General Electric in the 1960.

You don’t. It obviously works pretty well. Design something that will let him maintain it.

Underskog is expressly designed to wear nicely:

It seems like your shop is a veritable goldmine!
Thanks for the pic, AND the thorough background info. I really appreciate the way you dig in to the history of objects/subjects you find interesting. I’ve never really seen any one do it so meticulously which really inspires me. I will work even harder on doing so my self, especially with this new found interest of this worn out/in-theme.

Jkestner:
Never seen it before, but its going in to the save-folder. Merci!

Looking at the scale/shop photo just reminded me that I have two old school (all steel construction) electric drills that I saved when we moved our shop years ago.

I saved them not so much that the have worn well but they look a little like ray guys from Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon serials. I plan to mount them on a wall at some point. Yeah I’ll probably the only one who will appreciate them.

As anyone who’s seen my loft can attest, I’m a big fan of worn and beautiful (infact even my loft is worn and beautiful with 100 year old beams and brick). For me it only goes two ways- new and shiny (Apple, Plasma TV, Biomega bike) or old and worn (vintage fans, appliances, desk, chair, tripods, gumball machine, etc.). If anything I’m finding I’m slowly replacing a lot of newer stuff for older stuff, except of course for tech stuff.

Some pics of a few of my things here -

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/chicago/house-tours/richard-takes-downtown-house-tour-094695

What interests me most from things from times past is the history (as Lmo richly detailed - I also try to research many of the object I get), and how purposeful they were designed. Things were made to last, and made well, with intent. Not like so much of today’s throwaway junk.

Only problem with collecting stuff that never needs replacing, is finding a place for it all. I’m actually now in the middle of a temporary move while I do some renos and I’m only halfway through and have 30+ boxes! Wish I could get rid of stuff, but the history of the objects (not to mention the stories I have on how I acquired each one) makes it very difficult. I could never trash it, even though lots of stuff was found in the garbage to start with!

R

PS. In those renos I’m also hoping to install some reclaimed maple flooring. Got a lead on some 50+ year old stuff that came out of a public school, with dirt, scratches, nail holes and all. Talk about worn and beautiful! If it happens, I’ll be sure to post some pics.

PPS. Surprised old cars have not been mentioned more. This used to be my daily ride, '69 MB 250 and I miss it almost daily, despite all the conveniences of a BMW.

a few shots:

Richard: Yeah, you definitely collected a good amount of the good stuff. Im genuinely jealous :slight_smile:

Funny that you chose the blue treadpattern. I have been looking a lot at embossed/desbossed/perforated sheets of metal lately! Grazie!

Been meaning to post these for a while. Couple friends of mine are in this car club. Rat rod style, true to the era. Cool stuff.

http://luckybastardscarclub.com/

the red car is for sale if anyone is interested. He’s gotta make way for a new roadster project.

Old clocks are somethings I really like , oh and watches as well.

I’ve been meaning to post some pics from my fan collection, but I didn’t have them all set up right, I happened along a vintage 60’s chrome and glass shelf yesterday, so I was finally able to get them all set up:

This is the earliest example I have, which is a Wesinghouse dating back to the 1900’s and is one of the first AC products. It has a tag on the top with stamped in numbers for cycles and volts. Pretty amazing. Found in a junk shop in Rhode Island.

This next example is a “Jack Frost” and I love the deco detailing, from the looks of it I would guess pre WWII but hard to say.

This next one is a “Handy Breeze”, I have two which look to be just a year or two apart, almost the same exact design, but one is just a touch sleeker, as if they took the old design and just made it a few degrees “faster”

And proving it was “kool” to use K’s for C’s long before Numetal, check out this “Koldair”, I love how pitted the base has become and that someone engraved his name and phone number, Howard Falk, 540-20-7004, I’m not sure if US numbers had one less digit at one point, or if this is another kind of number.

We also picked up this beat up farm table which contrasts the rest of our place pretty nicely, really beat up top surface… I’m thinking of putting 4 Eames chairs with it, or something similarly sculptural to contrast, maybe in white or the robin’s egg blue.