working on a 42" HDTV

Has anyone tried hooking up their computer to a big LCD HDTV? How’s it look/work?

Just looking to give myself another reason to take the plunge.

I just saw one set up at a computer goods store yesterday. Looks amazing. Of course you’ll probably need the right kind of video card to make it work.

yea, I wonder how good of a video card you really need. I’d love to get this set up and do solidworks on it, or lounge on the couch with my wacom instead of sitting at my desk huddled over my laptop.

Doesn’t Windows Media Center do this all the time? Hook up to large televisions, not draw on the couch.

You don’t need any magical video card but keep in mind if your TV isn’t 1080P you’re going to be running at less than 1280x720 (TV’s cut off a portion of the image, so you’d need to underscan your desktop to a resolution like ~1150x640 otherwise your start menu and things will more than likely get cut off.

If you have a 1080p TV you can get pretty good resolution out of it. You don’t need any special hardware, keep my desktop hooked up to the TV at all times and use it to watch all my movies.

Keep in mind though the ergonomics of sitting on a couch and using a wireless keyboard can be pretty draining depending on your setup. If I was doing real work I’d rather be at my desk with a proper monitor than trying to use a mouse on the futon.

Any new desktop video card should support HDTV out - you can also get a DVI-HDMI cable. Theres lots of ways to do it, but it all depends on your setup.