Working in the USA

greetings coroflotians!
i presume most of you are american, so answering these simple questions will be very easy. i am a rookie from the UK and i graduated nearly two years ago. since then i had one internship, which was very brief. i am planning to do some more internships in europe before i gather my stuff and fly over the pond. my question to everyone is;

  1. what kind of qualities does a prospective employer in the states look for in a foreign (alien) designer?

  2. would it be easier for me to land a job in the states if i already have a work visa (GREEN CARD)?

  3. as there are so many designers in the US, will the prospective employer actually look at an application from a foreign (alien) designer?

From my experience.

1: Talent/Skills ( a good accent is a bonus )
2: Hell yes. Especially for small places, design firms, ect.
3: Yes. It’s a global marketplace, and most companies, esp those with international business, really look to have a diverse global perspective within their design team.

  1. except indian

yeah. no indians or chinese.

  1. what kind of qualities does a prospective employer in the states look for in a foreign (alien) designer?

Ability to sketch well and fast.

thanks yo, how much do you think it will cost for me to get a green card? i hope its not that expensive. by the way i have a very good accent and i drink tea a lot.

ML340 i thought you were a busy and important HR person, is that the best answer you can give me?

by the way i have a very good accent and i drink tea a lot.

so do i. unfortunately its a southern accent and iced tea, which doesnt seem to work as well.

I just trashed 2 inches of portfolios and resumes you kids have worked countless hours on, out of spite for that comment.

Talk to someone who gives a F#$K… :unamused:

Your immaturity is getting old.

well done!
do you want a medal for that?
i don’t think you are working very hard.
why don’t you trash couple of more inches and come back?

Hey! That wasn’t me! but I like his thinking.

Here are the lists of fees associated with applying for a green card

Here is some more info:

Immigration through Employment

An immigrant is a foreign national who has been authorized to live and work permanently in the United States. If you want to become an immigrant based on the fact that you have a permanent employment opportunity in the United States, or if you are an employer that wants to sponsor someone for lawful permanent residency based on permanent employment in the United States, you must go through a multi-step process.

  • First, foreign nationals and employers must determine if the foreign national is eligible for lawful permanent residency under one of CIS’ paths to lawful permanent residency.
  • Second, most employment categories require that the U.S. employer complete a labor certification request (Form ETA 750) for the applicant, and submit it to the Department of Labor’s Employment and Training Administration. Labor must either grant or deny the certification request. Qualified alien physicians who will practice medicine in an area of the United States which has been certified as underserved by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services are relieved from this requirement. You may wish to read more about this program.
  • Third, CIS must approve an immigrant visa petition, Form I-140, Petition for Alien Worker, for the person wishing to immigrate to the United States. The employer wishing to bring the applicant to the United States to work permanently files this petition. However, if a Department of Labor certification is needed the application can only be filed after the certification is granted. The employer acts as the sponsor (or petitioner) for the applicant (or beneficiary) who wants to live and work on a permanent basis in the United States.
  • Fourth, the State Department must give the applicant an immigrant visa number, even if the applicant is already in the United States. When the applicant receives an immigrant visa number, it means that an immigrant visa has been assigned to the applicant. You can check the status of a visa number in the Department of State’s Visa Bulletin.
  • Fifth, if the applicant is already in the United States, he or she must apply to adjust to permanent resident status after a visa number becomes available. You may wish to read about application procedures on becoming a permanent resident while in the United States. If the applicant is outside the United States when an immigrant visa number becomes available, he or she will be notified and must complete the process at his or her local U.S. consulate office.


There are five categories for granting permanent residence to foreign nationals based on employment skills. If you are an employer and are unsure which employment category applies to the foreign national you wish to sponsor, or if you are a foreign national and want more information on which category matches your particular situation, click one of the employment categories:

EB-1 Priority workers

  • Foreign nationals of extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics
  • Foreign national that are outstanding professors or researchers
  • Foreign nationals that are managers and executives subject to international transfer to the United States

EB-2 Professionals with advanced degrees or persons with exceptional ability

  • Foreign nationals of exceptional ability in the sciences, arts or business
  • Foreign nationals that are advanced degree professionals
  • Qualified alien physicians who will practice medicine in an area of the U.S. which is underserved. Read more about this particular program.

EB-3 Skilled or professional workers

  • Foreign national professionals with bachelor’s degrees (not qualifying for a higher preference category)
  • Foreign national skilled workers (minimum two years training and experience)
  • Foreign national unskilled workers

EB-4 Special Immigrants

  • Foreign national religious workers
  • Employees and former employees of the U.S. Government abroad

EB-5 Immigrant Investors

Here is a link for visa information:

You should know that since 9/11 the government has made it significantly more difficult for people to enter the US for work or extended stays. There are also a limited number of visas that are issued each year and they will go to higly skilled technical workers first such as Scientists, Government Employees, Etc. In many cases the company must also prove that by hiring you they are not denying a well qualified American worker a job. In today’s job market that is going to be very difficult to prove.

In order for you to get an employment based Green Card you will need to have a US company sponsor you. This should be done before you move to the US. If you move over here, enter on a tourist visa, and try to look for work, you are not only breaking US law, but you are probably going to be ignored by US companies that don’t want the hassle.

If you find a company that doesn’t care, they will need to pay you under the table since you don’t have a Social Security Number and can’t run you through payroll. This not only puts you at risk but also puts the company at risk for tax evasion and immigration violations. If the government finds you working on a tourist visa you will be detained, deported, and possibly fined.

There is also the risk that you will be banned from anywhere between 10 years to life from reentering the country.

You might find it easier to move into Canada first, they are much more relaxed on immigration and since you are in England there might already be an agreement that gives you special access. From there you can try to find a company in the US to sponsor you and get you a visa.

You can also try to get hired as an employee of an international company with offices in both the US and UK. There are special visas which allow companies to transfer people from one international office to another without much hassle. Several of my neighbors are from Australia and have entered the country this way. It also gives them greater freedom to travel back and forth as needed.

Hope this helps.

BTW, the greencard process takes about 3 years to complete at present, requires company sponsorship (tough in this market) and US$4000+ (which hopefully the company pays). Most people arrive via the H1 visa program or as a change of status, following on from student visa.

If you can find work as an inhouse design with an international company, you may be able to transfer to a US branch. This not gets you to the US and may (and any significantly married other) can work without fear of prosecution.

One day, all manufacturings will move to China, including design. See what happened in Europe? It is used to be the center of the world. Now designers in UK have to work in US.

How come I get my balls broken for “not working” when mmjohn is posting a 10 page dissertation on immigration?

Shall I put that remark down as a personal prejudice?

Oh, poor bunny.

ekta sounds like an indian name.

Guest sounds like a nazi

ekta coolers were the shit.

neon green box drinks… i used to get them at quickie marts. :laughing: