Work Hours/ Comp Time/ Perks?

Short questions, wondering if anyone can shed some light on this…
Ider’s only please…

• How many hours do you work a week? (both high and low season)
  • Do you ever work on weekends? If so, what and who (vague I know, but even if the answer is “sales” it is still helpful) usually dictates this?
  • Do you work (on the phone/ blackberry/or otherwise) at home/ on the go?
  • When you put in an exorbitant amount of time, do you (in return) get anything to help componsate / validate your effort? (including a pat on the back, or a beer at the bar)
  • Has your bonus or salary ever been affected by the amount of time (specifically- not “talent”) you put in?
  • Have you ever been asked to work long hours because of “company policy” , in other words, even if it is not crucially necessary?

Thank you all in advance for your answers!!

-About 45 hours a week, give or take. But I get to go ride my bike during the middle of the day, so that’s a huge stress-reliever. can get my training in during the daylight hours.
-Work on weekends? Sometimes, but it’s pretty limited. If I’m getting pushed to get stuff done, I just work more efficiently.
-I work on my laptop on the plane and in the airport. Haven’t figured out how to do design work while driving yet, but my boss continues to call…
-No “pat on the back” from my boss for a good job done. But very understanding if I want to take some time off, go to europe, or for family. Father passed away a while ago and they simply said “take the time you need.” That was nice. I busted my butt for them when I got back to work.
-Bonus? yeah, right. My bonus goes to the stockholders.
-I’ve never been formally asked. I suppose that when you take pride in your work and am passionate about it, you’ll put in the time deemed necessary.

You would think so…

Thanks 6ix

-50-60hrs (113hrs is my all-time record).
-yes. i do what needs doing, but if i work weekends it’s usually because marketing srewed things up, again
-yes. i work in airports and coffee shops but only with my back to the wall, literally.
-an occational atta-boy (note of appreciation).
-never.
-no.

Hours = 50+/wk
Weekends = avoid working them (if possible)
Validation = I am my own boss. Validation enough. When I was a corporate guy, I didn’t get much validation. I was paid well though.
Non crucial hours? = no. Not really. I am good at telling them to stuff it if it isn’t needed. Now that I own my own business, it will be interesting to see how my boss (clients) will push me.

it sucks to have a stupid boss specially if he doesn’t realize you’re technically capable of turning his manufacturing facilities into 10cent chinese cigarette lighters and make more money on it than he can in ten years. :wink:

Not 100% sure I get where you are coming from on this comment, however, it does suck to have a crummy boss. Been there, done that, have the tee shirt.

i was reffering to one of my previous job experiences.

Interesting to see that all of us (except the first reply) work 50+ hours a week.

This being said, do you feel as though your time and effort is “worth it” to the corporate entity? Do you think they understand the blood and sweat into turing out well planned (and hopefully well designed) products?

-Note that most marketing, engineering, and sales folks are being compensated more from a monetary stand point and most of them do not spend as much time at the office.

It has been brought up in counless past discussions how it is the plight of the artist. But as things for us continue to converge, should we expect more from the people who sign the checks?

• How many of us have multiple responsibilities which 5 years ago would have been left to marketing, engineering, purchasing or sales?

Interesting analysis. Yeah, I try not to spend that much time in the office. I’m corporate though, but things get stressful there too. It’s a shame that people that spent the same time and money in college are making more income with the same amount of experience. Again, just shows how little value industrial designers are seen. Constantly being trumped by ego-driven marketing people, then blamed for products’ failures.

Anyhow, the money starts coming in when you can offer more to a company than just designing. Management, some marketing, etc. But don’t get in the routine of working long hours. It’s not worth it. We may like our jobs and be passionate about them, but there’s a lot better things I’d rather be doing. Don’t live to work, work to live and be able to do things you want to do.

Designing is one of those jobs that really is never finished, unlike accounting or engineering. When your debits equals your credits, day is done and it’s time to close up Excel. With designing, it’s like “I can do 10 more pages of sketches, tweek this model a bit, brighten this rendering, etc.” It’s endless…if you let it be that way. Save it for in 5 years the product will be outdated and you’ll need to design a new one anyhow.

Amen to that, but I think therein lies the problem.

We like our jobs.

Nobody else around the watercooler does. (or so they complain) However, they all have been historically in higher positions. Hmmm…

So is it envy or are we just over-confident that others do not enjoy their work as much as many designers do? (even though, like any other profession, some bad day do occur.)

Is the the other way around all together? Are we fooling ourselves thinking others hate their jobs to make us feel better about being the poor kids on the block?

Where is Dr. Phil when I need him?