word association as a window to design

I sometimes use this and the responses never serve to amaze me on the difference between what we assume and what in reality we get. Lets explore.

When you read “home” what room pops into your mind

describe that room.

should be interesting.

I always imagine the exterior of a house when I hear home. White picket fence, two story, big tree in the yard.

I think with word associations for max effect, you aren’t supposed to limit it, for example, by saying “what room, describe the room”.

For example, someone could reply “warm”," anxious", “busy”, “brick”, “TV”, “s3x” etc." that would all be useful in some context.

R

Intesting, I hear “home” and i think kitchen. its a galley type that flows into the living room with white cupboards and granite tops

PS. My examples were made up. Not really my first thoughts… or were they subconsciously while trying to make up nonsense ?

R

Home: you have all you need there, including mate(s) and/or family, and you can stay as long as you want :slight_smile:

Emotionally… a Thomas Kinkade painting (technique has nothing to do with this).

warm, snug, safe, secure, inviting

My mother grew up in a craftsman era home in southern Illinois and some of my fondest memories are from early childhood and my grandparent’s house.

Physically … dark(er) interiors, natural wood finishes, and “detailed” woodwork, glass, deep fabrics, etc.

i.e.

I don’t think of a building or a room. I think of family.

I think of the town I grew up in, where my my family and old friends are, where it feels I could go any day and feel “at home”.

I always think of family when home is mentioned too, but Zips original question was… . .

When you read “home” > what room > pops into your mind

describe that room.

Yeah, I know it was. But I still say I don’t think of a room when I think of Home.

If I had to, I’d think of the living room in the house I grew up in. Games played, the couch I’d sleep on if I was sick, the old VCR in the cabinet away from the TV for whatever reason, the fireplace you could see through to the other side. That kind of thing.

If I had to, I’d think of the living room in the house I grew up in.

yeah… . me too Chris, I admit it. The particular way that old back screen-door slammed, squeaky stairs, creaky floors and all. Good stuff. :wink: Wish I hadn’t had to sell the place. … . :frowning: