Will you fly to Japan in your own cost for an interview?

This is one well known world wide company that does watches and electronic product. Full benifits, right outside of Tokyo. They are asking me to fly over there for an interview. Plane ticket price range from $800-$1500 in my own cost…
I’ve not try an interview that don’t pay for my flight? please help!

No.

more like NO!

If they were that interested they would fly you over. Think about it if you dished out the $800-$1500 and didn’t get the job how would you feel.

Now if you were planning a vacation in Japan then I would schedule it so you could interview.

Are you sure you want to work in Japan?

No

I know u are from Taiwan…and I am from one of those nearby city too.

I got a call from Taiwanese company too, but don’t know about working in Taipei. There is a reason why I even consider this company.
1:This Japanese company is compatible with panasonic, Philips
2:Full benifits
3:SO tired of American company ignorance for F-1 visa holder.
4:Tokyo is a awlsome city.
I speak a little Japanese, have a roomate to live with in Tokyo already.
but if anyone here knows japanese companies, they are not familars with paying entry level designer a plane ticket to go visit. As far as I know, my friends who got interview at Nissan still pays their own tickets to go for the interview.
does anyone here thinks it’s worth the money to take the chance?

I don’t know if you really understand the Japanese culture but it’s definitely going to be hell of an experience… good and bad.

My sister has been in Japan for more than 5 years in one of the world’s leading semi-conductor providers. She’s finally decided that she should move on.

Or maybe just treat this as a trip to visit your friend in Toyko, will make you feel better if they don’t take you afterall. And don’t expect too much out of a Japanese design environment… it can be quite shocking.

As for the Taiwan job… I don’t think you will like it. There hasn’t been one single Taiwanese firm that I am interested in. Perhaps Philips, but they do LCD monitors mainly.

errrm…NO. That would be my initial reaction. They say you have to spend money to make money but lets be reasonable.Is this really worth it to you? You know that $800 will get you at a least 4 job interviews anywhere in the continental US. You may want to work harder at your opportunities here unless you know 100% that you will land the job and you really want to live and work in Taiwan.

errrm…NO. That would be my initial reaction. They say you have to spend money to make money but lets be reasonable.Is this really worth it to you? You know that $800 will get you to at a least 4 job interviews anywhere in the continental US. You may want to work harder at your opportunities here unless you know 100% that you will land the job and you really want to live and work in Taiwan.

if you can make it a trip home to visit and “pop” over to Japan for that interview then it would make it worthwhile…otherwise it sounds like a real long shot to just bank on the interview alone…

guess its just one of those things that you have to just learn to “deal with” if you desire to work here…while some may be ignorant but many companies are familiar with the process…

the pros of living, working and learning in the US should hopefully out weigh the challenges of getting through the bureaucracy…

Wait! It’s not like I don’t have interviews here in US! I have not interview with a company that I need to pay my own flight or taxi!
but I do agree that spending all those money is not worth it. But since I am good friends with the HR, and knowing that the company ARE interested on hiring me. Higher salary…cool city… so tempting…
I guess I will just take what I have in the state and be satisfy with average salary.
For molested_cow: I did worked in Japan! I don’t mind working there. Only thing I hated there is that I get molested few times on the train! :imp:
btw, is that really bad working in Taiwan???

Oh you are a female? Hey at least you are not those type who man won’t even touch! :laughing:

I don’t know about the company you could be interview with, but surely you know that few companies actually respect females equally as man. My sister was lucky and proved her capabilities. She held a pretty important position in the company. Then the company merged with another and the place she got transfered to treated her like a front counter girl.

Taiwan… I’m not saying that the place is bad. I am referring to the design environment. It’s all about cost and time. I interned in one of the leading firms there, and they never discussed anything about userability. It’s all about making superfical aesthetic changes and making it cheaper to manufacture. Their mentality is that the clients don’t care anyways, all they want is cheap housing. There probably are some good firms around, but mostly quietly designing for their clients from other parts of the world. I haven’t heard of any really good in-house ID departments though. The ironic things, say if Acer has a big project, they will rather pay big bucks to famous firms like Frog rather than to make their own department do the job. Frog designed Acer’s first gen Aspire PC and monitors.

I heard that Philips in Singapore is the biggest studio second to their HQ in netherlands. They have designed some nice things, mostly audio electronic products. Philips in Taiwan is small and does LCD monitors mainly. Philips in HK does some of the electronic products, but very small too.

SEIKO?

I’ve already decided not to go.
Since I got better opportunities.
But it’s Casio.

Have a look at the link in my sig

Unlock phones music soccer tv Cheap mp3s get back on ebay even after suspension
Money reading emails
Male entertainers
Improve your golf score in 2 weeks
Stop smoking within a week
Amazing paypal loophole a must for buyers and sellers
Get £5 for absolutely free
Get £4 for joining ebay and bidding absolutely free

^^^^ ISN’T THERE SOME WAY TO STOP THIS CRAP? ^^^^

Short answer, most definately yes, is it legal, most definately no.

Anyways, if the original poster had never been to Japan, or would like to take a vacation there then why not? Go there, see the sights, meet the people, go to an interview, could make for a nice trip…