Why?

Why did you guys decide to practice ID as a profession or a major in college?

it is pretty much what I did all through my childhood… accept I called it ‘drawing stuff from the future’, I found out about ID by chance from a newspaper article about Giorgetto Giugiaro… I was 13, and it just clicked.

Though finding out this early seems pretty rare, most people I know have a similar feeling when they first found out about it. It just clicks and sticks with you.

I drew spaceships and cargoplanes for space. Did it all the time- even had callouts and everything. Drew orthos of giant robots. Thought that the closest thing to doing that for a living was graphic design- got to college and found out about ID. Switched in a heartbeat- so lucky

When I was a little kid I used to draw, make cut-outs, play with clay, wooden blocks and stuff like that. I liked to build cardboard scale models.
I thought I wanted to be an architect, but that way I wouldn´t be able to handle my creations.

I think that artistic vocation was always present, but there was always an important issue: I wanted to make a change in the world or give something to my country. I still haven´t accomplished that.

…my parents taught me how to sketch before i was 6 and my uncle taught me how to draw cars before i was 8…by age 10 i was taking everthing in the house apart and putting things back together my dad couldn’t figure out…at 13 thirteen my art class went to the local college campus to see the senior design student exhibits and i discovered the work of the id department…like yo, it just clicked in my head that this is what i was going to do and i still am at 55.

i have just interested in it . i drew when i was a child, and i began the formal study that was in art school. i contacted various design in here. i think ID is not a bad course to learn. :slight_smile:

I never knew ID exsisted until my Junior Year in College.

I was doing Mechanical Engineering.

Found out about. Changed Majors, Schools, and my life.

Best decision ever.

Two experiences sealed the deal for me…

1. Universal Studios Hollywood… I saw those little models on the ET ride and said wow that would be really cool to make those…
  2. The movie Big. I was confident I could do that job… You know, play with toys and find ways to make them better.

With those two motivations driving me I went to school and worked endless hours in the shop and drafting table… I worked a couple of crappy jobs for little pay after college, and I never gave up… I persistantly sought out opportunities… In the end I found myself where i wanted to be…

If you’re going to make it in this industry, you’re going to half to want it really bad… There isn’t room for lazy people and the largest reward is self satisfaction… I never expected to make a lot of money but I have the happiness of walking into work everyday with some enthusiasm and happiness…

If you’re going to go into this field, expect alot of slave labor and getting passed by… But the difference between not making it and making it is not skill, because skill comes with time… It’s wanting it and finding the energy to take some steps everyday to finding your place.

well put, well put.

Legos. I had a huge collection. The “tipping point” was, one day I made a small off-road truck, and jumped it over a pillow. I then jumped it over two pillows, and the wheels fell off. I made the truck stronger, and specifically remember recording the results, and improving the design for max distance.

i liked Legos.

-red