Why you might want to consider another profession.

nature vs nurture?

I kind of resent the “oh you where born with the ability to draw”. It is a cop out. We all worked damn hard for skills we have. The ability to spec colors, or think out of the box, it semes to me are things that are learned, perhaps in part very early in life. If you are smart, you parleigh (sp?) it into a career.

But is there a gene for creativity? Maybe so.

Anyone can “do” design, but few do it well.

It’s called having the “eye”. Ask any professor and he/she will tell about the problems faced by having students without the “eye”.

Edit

Even after rehashing that last comment about anyone being able to be a designer I still think Mr. Ludwig needs to repent for the blasphemy he hath written! - if you mean “anyone has the ability to be a sucky designer”, then yes, you are correct, anyone can scrounge together a drawing for a product and move it forward, but if the designer doesn’t have raw talent for making things look good (a function of innate spatial/mechanical ability - the ability to visualize which many people do not have) the product will not look/work well. My experience is that the really good designers are in fact artists/sculptors who work best with constraints. As much as the pinko social engineers (ID is lousy with them) would like to say art can be taught - it can’t - just like you can’t teach “sales”. As an aside IDEO has challenged this by integrating psychologists, etc., but who is the guy doing the overall look and actual design of the product? The ID guy. I would go on to say that the job doesn’t pay enough for someone without “the curse” of being a great designer to stick around - our innate ability, and seeing what comes from that ability is the only reason we don’t want to leave for a better paying profession.

Edit

I fear that design is a skill and a talent … everybody can learn to draw, but not everybody can learn to draw well…some people talent make it easy for them to do great drawings faster…others just have to catch up…

The real problem with design is that ID gets no respect …because Id is run by business leader people or non artist… people who understand money and not talent they look at us and say…" how cheap can I get him for…" while we are thinking " I can do some nice work…Maybe they will let me put it in my portfolio" we need to change this situation…either we need to think more like business people …or we need to own more compagnies and be leaders…

we need to design the future business models…we need to be creative with business…we need to be leaders…we need to work like a team…

don’t work for cheap it hurts every designers…I say nothing below $12
hr…its a crime…depends on the state…

If you look at the companies that pay designers the best, most of them have VP’s who started as designers. You are right, unless we start infultrating the top ranks, we won’t be able to effect wholesale change to better the profession, no matter how many IDSA cocktail mixers we throw.

I do tend to lean on more of the nurture side of the argument above. I don’t think you are “born” with the talent. But I think it is fostered from a very very early age. As kids, we all used to draw together, at the kitchen table, with friends over. I just never stoped. If you put two kids in freshman design foundation, one who has never stopped drawing daily since he was a child, and the other who hasn’t drawn since he was 10, who’s going to draw better? As they both advance, the second kid is going to have a lot of catching up to do. That goes for all of the skills in ID. I’ve seen great models, virtual, and physical, from high school kids. It’s crazy.

Mr. Ludwig - I should have been more specific, it is true you can teach anyone to problem solve, and molding, and CAD, and Photoshop, even to draw - to a certain extent - what you can’t do is teach someone to make something beautiful. Very important for a product - you can’t teach someone to be a Michelangelo, he was born with it.

Edit

I completely sucked at drawing a few years ago. I was terrible. I’m still not amazing, but I’m better through practice and instruction. We can overcome much of our genetics, so even if there is a gene, that would be a cop

lets see your work now? my feeling is if you were terrible sketcher then, you’ll still be a terrible sketcher now. having the ability to sketch like a God is innate. i would show you some of my sketches but i chose to be anonymous. but i recently did a ‘portfolio feedback’ from large firms such as FROG, IDEO, HLB, CONTINUUM, ZIBA and they all praised how great my style is.

HE’S ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. A LOT OF FIRMS SAY HAVING THE ABILITY TO SKETCH LIKE A GOD IS OVER RATED, BUT I’VE WITNESSED A LOT OF FIRMS THAT HIRED A GUY BASED PURELY ON HIS ABILITY TO SKETCH REALLY WELL AND EFFICIENTLY- INCLUDING ME. ITS LIKE SAYING ‘I’M ATTRACTED TO THIS GIRL BECAUSE OF HER PERSONALITY AND NOT BECAUSE OF HER LOOKS’ … AND WE ALL KNOW THE TRUTH TO THAT.

THAT IS WHY IF YOU’RE A GOOD LOOKING GIRL WHO HAS THE ABILITY TO SKETCH LIKE A GOD, YOU’LL DO WELL IN LIFE.

Edit

Maybe I can offer a different perspective. I just finished a business degree and for the last 6-8 months I’ve been watching the Core site since I did a Google search for “industrial design schools”. I’ve tried to offer opinions occasionally, and even got chewed on by UFO (shocker!!!)

I’ve been taking art/design classes all along, but went for the business degree because is seemed “safer” or something.

In reality it doesn’t matter. I’ve had my own business for 8 years, I get to be creative all day long because of my function in this business as “the art person,” but here I am looking into ID because it seems to offer more exciting potential for my own expression. That’s just my nature to continue to absorb information, ideas, and techniques and then to find an outlet for what I’ve done with it. I realise I may just end up doing something more definable as art, but it’s not all about lables, is it?

By the definition of most of the posters on here, I’m already old enough to get kicked out of the industry, but I will probably continue pursuing Design and art courses anyway because that’s what makes me tick.

What could I offer in the design field as a new entrant? I don’t know, but I have worked in metal fabrication and have built functional projects from scratch with cold rolled and stainless steel. Now my working context is fabric, thread, ink and logos.

If you know yourself well enough, the rest should take care of itself. If you know your client well enough, that is even better. If you know your craft well enough that it’s not obstructing the flow of your ideas (concepts, sketching, software, etc.) you are freed from you own self imposed barriers and it’s not about paychecks anymore. So it’s not about your degree, it’s about what you want to do with your life.

I know plenty of people with business degrees that hate their job.

my 2 cents (maybe only 1.5 cents from a guest?)

TF

this coming from a guy who can’t sketch. i’ve seen your stuff before.

Edit

This Bryce Ludwig guy is pretty annoying. Put ur money where ur mouth is and lets see ur sketches.

Edit

Lets face it guys, we’re in a dying profession:
LOW SALARY
FEW OPPORTUNITIES
LONG HOURS
UNDERAPPRECIATED
JOBS GOING OVERSEAS
HOLIER-THAN-THOU CONSULTANCIES

That is absolute garbage. The only people saying crap like that are people here on Core.

That is absolute garbage. The only people saying crap like that are people here on Core

You think???

LOW SALARY - look at our peers in other professions ie engine, ui architect, accounting, and business analyist

FEW OPPORTUNITIES - look in yellow pages and see how many law firms, dentists, architects vs ID firms

LONG HOURS - ppl work til 7pm at our consultancy

UNDERAPPRECIATED - VPs and corp managers think we’re bunch of stylists

JOBS GOING OVERSEAS - china pumps out 200 designers yearly

HOLIER-THAN-THOU CONSULTANCIES - firms like IDEO/FRG/CONTINM ignore even the most talented