Why some if not many IDrs have big egos?

Why some if not many IDrs have big egos? Where is the line between confidence and egotism?

Because I have big balls. Wanna see?

HUGE HAIRY ONES TOO!!!

cause I’m that fuc’in good and smart…

…good at design stuff like products, cars, buildings, web sites

also, I’m awesome in bed…ask your sister, oops ask her tommorow she lost her voice today from screaming so loud last night.

Retarded subject thread…

my theory on this…

it is necessary for id’ers to look, question and examine so many different things in order to understand and generate ideas and solutions for projects. these processes may include using observation, sketching, modeling, dialectic theories such as interaction matrices, forced connexions, counterplanning etc… in order to synthesize new project orientations and ideas. these processes of query and examination often create an exciting framework or ‘world’ of many possibilities for the id’er, a world which is built of intangibles leading to a tangible solution. for some id’ers, the notion of having explored project solutions apparently so deep and broad is so profound for them, it creates an overwhelming sense of the self, however, this overwhelming sense of the self is mostly the reckoning of other people around an id’er, because this intricate world of possibilities created in the mind of the id’er is normal, it is routine for many projects.

i have met id’ers that seem aloof or a little detached sometimes because they are in their ‘concept incubation world’ of figuring it out. other id’ers can be boisterous and over egotistical in the midst of these phases, ranting some intangibles mixed with some fake aspect of their personality. some are a mix of the two, passing off the latter as humor or disguised intelligence. some are just cool out and take all of this business in their stride.

many people around id’ers often consider the quiet ones weird or detached and the boisterous ones over egotistical. the perception of how people perceive you as an id’er (egotistical,confident, whatever…), apart from how those people perceive the world in general, comes down to how you handle your influences, exercises and successes/failures.

at then end of the day ‘keep it real’.

Agreed:
“keep it real” is the portion that the “egotistical” designer seems to miss.
However in my limited time on the planet I have discovered that often the extroverted, so called “egotistical” designer is often the one who is less confident, and hides that behind being overbearing and closed minded to the thougts of others.

The real designer submits to his/her ego and admits that they can be wrong, right, and even sometimes admit not having the answer.

I think we can come off as “know-it-alls”. Some of my non-id friends will throw that at me, not understanding that it’s our job to constantly learn the how and why of new things. Where some jobs you specialize and do one thing, our job is to be knowledgeable and capable in many/any.

Some of my friends will get annoyed at me when we go shopping because of my comments on things they’re about to buy. I’ll tell them, that’s no good, that finish will wear off in a week, this part will break, this one’s over-priced, this one will last forever, etc… They’ll either disregard my comments or accuse me of just making it up to sound like I know everything. They fail to realize, that’s my job. I’ve worked on many of those projects, I know how they work, their benefits, downfalls, etc. I guess regular people don’t give much thought to how these products come to life, that there are people that make decisions on all of the features. That’s what so many people tell me when I describe what I do. They all say “wow, I didn’t know people did that, I mean it’s obvious somebody does it, but I just never really thought about it”.

Now the confidence vs ego, I think that’s highly dependant on the personality. Designers come off as snotty because they talk to people with their higher educated designer talk and use words only designers use. They appear uppity to the common public. The language and expressions exclude other “regular” people from understanding and participating unless they have the same vocabulary and level of knowledge.

Personally, I don’t act that way. Most of my family and friends are common people. And most of the products we design are for common people. So I make sure I’m in touch with my base and communicate in a way they can understand. So I never come off as egotistical or snotty to them and the regular folks we deal with like the shop guys, the vendors, people in other departments, etc… If anything I suffer from the opposite, not getting as much respect from other designers because I don’t act/speak “designerish” enough. And when I tell other people I’m a designer and show products I’ve done, it doesn’t seem to register that yes, “I’m” a designer. Plain ol’ subway taking, bus-riding, hole in the shoe Skinny is in the black turtleneck club?

Maybe that egotistical “designer” persona is a necessary evil to help sell our ideas and profession to people that don’t really understand it or take it seriously? Or maybe there’s a fine line that can be found like the ME’s I know. They’re all really smart and knowledgeable on a lot of things, etc but still come off as regular workin on their cars on the weekend type of folks. Who knows.

I am not sure why IDrs have big eggs, do they? what sort of question is this? why do eggs matter?

I have to agree with many of the comments pojo made. Anyone with the title “Designer” should be constantly looking around themselves and drawing influences from what they see. We are trained to consider and evaluate the functionality, aesthetics, and user interaction of everything we work on, and it’s easy for that to overflow into real life.

Sometimes if something really fails as a product, a project, or concept (in our opinion) we are compelled to be critical of it. In college we were given the opportunity to display at the 2002 Milan Furniture Fair. Eight Furniture and Industrial Designers (myself included) were chosen to display, and the college decided to have a class of mixed discipline students design the set as well. We new exactly what we wanted the set to be: “clean, minimal, subtle, aesthetically pleasing, and utilizing good material choices.” However, we had MANY different people involved who had their own idea of how things should look. One interior design student demanded that we have Doric columns and waterfalls on the set, and everyone in the class laughed their ass off, so she stormed off and dropped the class. If you think about it, Doric columns and waterfalls would make for a great Italian Bistro, but they don’t cut it when you want to display at contemporary European furniture fair.

I think most of all the reason we come off egotistical is the fact that we claim that we “wear many hats” when it comes to the design process. In reality, so do architects, and graphic designers, and interior designers. It’s just that we may come off as “high and mighty” because we have our own chosen aesthetic, and all of these other groups of designers may chose the complete opposite.