why is american design so crap?????

No credit for the design team though is there? that´s all about this new material or process, It makes you think of a nice application, I don´t know what were these guys thinking, especially when they show the phone over a block of wood being carved, for christ´s sake!

I’m sure the reject/scrap rate for that process (Inclosia) is high, the wood is only veneer thickness. The process only allows for veneers and films, the process is nothing new with exception they are using real wood.

I believe a lot of americans prefer american styling over european, and vice versa. How is it possible to measure which style is better?

I like Ikea furniture, but I also like Shaker just as much. BMWs are cool, but the new Caddies are starting to look really good to me. Italian shoes are cool and all, but the replicas at Payless fit more of my needs as an end user. Different strokes for different folks, in my opinion.

All I can say about BMW is they must have hired the guy who styled the Pontiac Aztek. Cadillac on the other hand hired an ex-Lockheed employee by the looks of it. I don’t know about that Art & Science look.

Why is there such a difference between US and EU design?

The market, the consumers, their taste and background, or lack thereof.

If you are the CEO of a major company, you are going to cater to tastes of the biggest market available, more consumers=more $$$$$.

2 examples:

The best selling vehicle in America = Ford F-150

The most popular type of music in America = country

These are facts, not speculation

Face it, in the US, we designers with our sensibilities, are the minority

Reality sucks, lets change it…

Does any one know where you can find pics on the net of the"dutch village event" in NY that was referred to?

deez, you are on old tune on these boards, the classic insecure designer wannabe with all of the spineless conviction and none of the proof. you are the anal kind that judges the sentence syntax rather than the meaning of it, quickly condemning the value of it before constructively criticising it (speaking of anal, you admit a profound knowledge of gay culture…you seem like a ‘bitch’ with an issue :wink:

your credibility died when you said the fashion coming out of paris is garbage : I don’t even have to explain this.

i am going to expand a few points of my post in an attempt to explain the underlying value as well as diminish your pathetic wannabe credibility (you even posea picture of karim, what does that tell everybody ?!) first off, you condemn the ‘size of american people’ critic with no explainable retort. you try to ridicule this statement, although you arrogantly accept it, you do not offer ANY kind of exaplanation, just a condemnation, you are indeed a hollow and aggravated hypocrite.

“contemporary american design rarely exhibits the beauty and sophistication of subtlety in product design, it tends to be much more exaggerated and dramatic.”

Examples? Christ, how f**king blind are you !!! have you looked down the street lately in urban america (or rural) : the majority of american made S.U.V.s like the hummer that exhibit a dramatically large and unnecessary size for most of the users, who do not use them for sports utility or off roading (hence, exaggerated and dramatic, which I have no problem with, quite cool actually, as my observation). i mean honestly, what is subtle about the majority of contemporary american S.U.V. designs ? you obviously suffer a deficient understanding of sophistication in contemporary product design : compare bmw, mercedes-benz, porsche, masserati, jaguar, austin-martin design to contemporary american car design and then tell me who is following who.

i work in America as a product designer, i am not jealous of American design, i think america produces some great and different designs, is a very enterprising and innovative culture. btw, I don’t have an ipod, i just never wanted one.

‘what freedom means and feels like, and don’t ever use the internet again. We own it. Maybe we should let you see our 10,000 nuclear weapon designs that we have in our National garages.’

have your balls dropped at all, do you actually have any ?

you see deez, if you look beyond your own vanity, your over zealous ego, your misplaced pride, to the underlying meaning of what was said, instead of convicting it with your meaningless blasphemy babble and just ‘take it or leave it’ for what it is (the opinion of another), your views would be a lot better appreciated. now, you have ranked yourself among the rebel without a clue clan. get a job, get out of the closet, get over yourself whatever your problem is, pleez.

who are you replying to?

F-150 = quantity not quality.

The Mother of all Recall notices…

I would have to say that there are quite a few points in this thread that are valid. On the School side we did have students that really didn’t fit. In my class I am the only one I 've heard of that is designing.
i have designed for a lot of different fields and I would have to say Medical is one of the biggest for pushing the edge. Now I’m designing tools for the scrapbooking industry and the thought process there is cheap and simple. It is very discourging. I would love to do finer products with more creative freedom, but who can afford it? :confused:

the big challenge for american design is cultural. since US is home to many cultures naturally those who live in US have different views about design. that’s why corporate america over the years has purchased companies abroad to widen its range of products, and to simplify the transaction issues, has subsequently moved its factories and manufacturing facilities abroad to reach those markets while saving money in production cost.

but apparently it hasn’t worked to the general expectation of design concious consumers, specially now since they’re more knowledgable about materials, technology, manufacturing, and relative issues that bring a product into market.

right now the consumers have reached a point where they realize these products have been designed merely to satisfy a saturated market, each revealing a look, function, finish, size, etc that target a different consumer but overall are not conceptually advanced, or objects of aesthetic quality be it made in US or not, rather things of hype and flash with very sophisticated advertising and intellectual jargon attached to it as wings that barely make it fly.

also the way one sector influences another sector is something common in US design because of the hype factor. that deminishes the credibility of design as pure design and brings forth a range of consistency issues and can really throw the market off balance to a degree that it might swing from making sense and not selling to irrational but selling!

that’s what they call trend in some instances but basically it’s conventional values as it relates to time therefore the term trendy.

an american designer has no choice but to follow the path others follow because of a do or die situation in the industry. it’s just a question of who does it first!

not in a design sense but rather being different and mostly not realizing how obnoxious it can be for the consumers who are aware of their environment.

made my once-every-couple-of-month’s visit to Wally World today. of course i stopped by an aisle that carried products i used to design corporate. i know whats happening there. so when i see these things i basically know the designs arent American. either designed by the Chinese-staffed design office, or just product being bought in China from an ODM that i hear from them is staffed with Chinese designers.

but use the corporate colors. slap a brand logo on it. call it American i guess.

I know places like Black and Decker are moving to this type of design strategy, out sourcing. And honestly for products with no cultural relevence it makes sense… until everyone makes the best cheap drill on the market, and one brand figures out how to make on that is more relevant to how the people in that particular market live.

Since tools are the current example, I have to say that the first time I saw a gun-style cordless drill, it was by Dewalt, which is a division of B&D. Makita of Japan, which makes better cordless tools, IMO, missed the boat on that one and came later with a competing form.

I think it is most telling that Europe has a reputation for not having bad design, while Asia has a reputation for not having good design. Good design and bad design are everywhere because the consumers demand it.

:)ensen.

What?? Cordless “gun-style” drills have been around since the early 1960’s. Black & Decker, Porter Cable, Milwaukee, Makita and a few others all had Cordless drills on the market in the 1980’s. DeWalt didn’t even have cordless tools on the market until around 1992.

As a matter of fact, Robert Riley Jr invented the first cordless drill for Black & Decker in 1961 and he later developed cordless tools for use on the early space missions. Black & Decker sold a cordless drill in the 1970’s, it wasn’t very powerful and it wasn’t pretty or ergonomic.

It wasn’t till the 1980’s till the technology caught up and the drills became more powerfull that other companies started designing their own lines and the popularity increased.

Looks like we have hit all of the American stereotype highlights on this thread.

All of us uneducated, uncultured, country-music blastin’ redknecks drive big ‘ol gas-guzzlin’ SUVs that never get used for anything other than hauling our fat, lazy bodies to WalMart so that we can buy a ton of useless crap - then we go home and watch our beloved NASCAR and NFL and spout off about how superior we are to the rest of the world. Oh, and we don’t know how to design anything at all.

Give me a break! :unamused:

There is plenty of “good” design coming out of America - just as much as what comes out of Europe or anywhere else - but we have no more crap than anyone else. The main problem is, in my opinion, that the population and media are not focussed on design, or at least the better side of design, as they are in Europe, leading to the perception that we are nothing but overweight and overkill.

Deez, you got schooled. Hate to break it to you. Best back down on this one. Have a bud light, and some lime-flavored tostitos.

Norm… (are you the Yankee Workshop guy?)

Now maybe you’re right about Milwaukee and Porter Cable, but the only thing I remember B&D popularizing was their cordless screwdriver. I believe even Craftsman had to make a clone of that. Even so, gun was my own poor choice of word especially that there are at least two distinct types of gun-style cordless drills.

The first type was merely evolved from the corded types that had been around for decades and these didn’t really take hold until rechargeable batteries could hold a useful amount of energy. It is characterized by motor being forward of the handle and battery pack inside the handle. Of all the brands mentioned, Makita seemed to be in the market first with those tube style battery packs. This style has fallen by the wayside.

The second style, which I was referring to in the previous post, has the motor above and aft of the handle and the battery pack hanging below the handle. Of these, Dewalt may not have been the first, but it certainly went deep into the contractor market. I know that in the 90’s just about every carpenter seemed to be replacing their blue drills with yellow ones.

Tool mfgs have their well-known niche brands. Milwaukee is known for it’s red Sawzalls, Craftsman it’s warranty on wrenches, Porter Cable routers, Skil saws and Snap-On for just being plain expensive. Could be that the market was completely different in the USA, but in Canada, Dewalt has overrun the market for cordless tools.

:)ensen.

Still unclever and unfunny. Try harder.
Still haven’t explained yourself beyond the first bark.
Still embarassed about acting like a douche and being repremanded on the net.
Still cowering behind anonymity
Still wildly searching on google images for a last desperate attempt to back up such a tiny brain statement. (couldn’t find anything and gave up?)

Such a distinctive and worldly statement:
“contemporary american design rarely exhibits the beauty and sophistication of subtlety in product design, it tends to be much more exaggerated and dramatic.”

Contemporary…Rarely…Subtley…Tends to be…Exaggerated…Dramatic…

no back up. no proof. one teary eyed SUV whine. Thanks for the sum up on American Design, professor no dick.

B&D pioneered the battery drill in 1961. In 1985, Skill introduced the ‘Twist’ screw driver ,a less power demanding application, and the rest is history. I was designing for a power tool company (which no longer exists) in the late 70’s and worked on battery powered concepts. Most resembled WWII Lugers with clip loaded drycells or they were tethered to a power supply ‘utility-belt’.

Okay which one of you is Scott from Zorbit Resources? Come out and admit it once and for all.