who is your favourite designer?

i didn’t hear anyone mention k@rim r@shid. if anyone’s a “superstar”…

it’s going to be a cliché, but i have to go with jasper morrison… i have so much respect for designers who can put a twist in “simple”…

i like james irvine, becuase i’ve met him, and seen the joy he gets from products and his appreciation for tasteful things, not jumping into stuff just becuase they’re supposedly original…

i also like kaj franck, i appreciate finnish design a lot. probably because of the same reason i like jasper morrison.

my hero when i was in college was joe colombo, obviously a man ahead of his time.

oh and i also respect ora ito, i’m not that into his designs but i was shocked (and turned green with envy) when i heard about his method of self-promotion.

i cant stand blobjects, ugly things made for the sake of so-called originality, not appreciating natural materials and basic forms… so there ya go, all my dislikes apply to karim rashid!

I gotta go with Jonathan Ive. He is the rare designer who consistently creates iconic, beautiful, and innovative products. Also the guy never fails to give props to his team of designers, he’s as modest as he is talented.

Runner-up for me is Alberto Meda. He’s an engineer and designer, and has designed a wide variety of products. He experiments with different materials, and seems to solve every detail with just the right combination of engineering and aesthetics.

Does da Vinci count as a designer? Seriously, this dude is in his own category.

i cant stand blobjects, ugly things made for the sake of so-called originality, not appreciating natural materials and basic forms… so there ya go, all my dislikes apply to karim rashid!

yeah Karim’s ideas aren’t exactly ground-breaking… seems kinda full of himself… well he’s going to be DJing here in Detroit later this month maybe I can ask him why he paints his nails…

John Makepeace http://www.johnmakepeacefurniture.com/ . It’s not mass produced, but It’s beautiful. That’s what I want to do.

Interesting choice. He’s understanding of wood is just unreal, it’s truely beyond real what that man has done with wood. I also like the fact he spent the majority of his life dedicated to teaching others. A lot of major fine furniture producers in the UK have some connection to Makepeace.

As for Rashid… enough said.