Which Pony Car Would You Prefer?

Style and driving.

Challenger
Camaro
Mustang

link:

I would take the Challenger. I think it achieves more of the muscle car/masculine look out of the three.

as much as I loved the Mustang when it came out and still like it a lot, gotta go with the Challenger

I’m a sucker for the smoother cleaner Challenger and the taillamp/front grill ‘single stripe.’ I think it fits muscle cars really well.

I think the Camaro takes 2nd, it’s really nice as well. The Mustang doesn’t look as nice as when it first came out, it’s not as timeless IMO as the Challenger.

Design: Challenger hands down

In real life: Camaro. It’s just so much better a car than the others. Also, I saw a Camaro on the street the other day. It has a lot more presence than in photos. Also, the surfacing is just excellent. It’s a very well designed car.

In terms of driving. Don’t all these vehicles handle the same?

I read an article in Motor Trend or something and it said the Camero is best with the Mustang in second. The Challenger was a little massive for handling and a bit slower but who cares. The Challenger has that killer 70’s look.

I read an article in Motor Trend or something and it said the Camero is best with the Mustang in second. The Challenger was a little massive for handling and a bit slower but who cares. The Challenger has that killer 70’s look.

That may have been in the latest Car and Driver:

…and actually they say the Mustang wins, then the Camaro, then the Challenger.

Personally, I doubt I will ever find myself behind the wheel of any of them, so what do I care about the performance.
As far as looks go, I’ll reserve judgement until I can examine them in person.
Too many times I’ve changed my mind between seeing photos of cars and then seeing them on the road.
I did have a close encounter with a Challenger yesterday, and MY GOD THOSE RIMS ARE HUGE. Like ridiculous huge.

Love that Challenger. The classic colors are great. I saw a black-on-black one the other day that just looked amazing.

Pony Car

This shot alone seals the win for the Challenger in my eyes. A perfect synthesis of muscle and modern.
Challenger Rear.jpg

who designed it or was the design chief of the Challenger anyone?

Note the changes made for production…not necessarily criticism, just pointing out that the pic you posted was the concept version. I’m pretty impressed that they were able to put this car on the road so quickly and stay so true to the concept.

The Camaro has nearly worn out it’s welcome with all of the hype over the last few years, and I have yet to lay eyes on it in the wild. Still no sight of the new Mustang either.

love it in silver.

Still no sight of the new Mustang either.

Really? I see the them everywhere. maybe 2-3 per day if I’m out.

Meh - the challenger has the stance of a pickup truck and the interior is the worst of the 3.

The Camaro IMO is the best blend of some contemporary styling with the muscle car feel. The Mustang is OK, not a major fan of the 2010 refresh. The Challenger just doesn’t do it for me. It’s a 99% rehash of the old car, and I’m a Cuda guy anyways. :smiley:

Camaro is the best driving because it has a independent rear suspension that is well tuned. The Challenger features this suspension too, but it’s tuned more for cruising. I think the Challenger can’t be had with a manual transmission either. That’s a need for me.

Original Pony Car

Camaro, it is the right blend of current and past.

Challenger hands down. They nailed the balance between retro and modern, expressiveness and restraint. I know one of the designers on this program and he always says “the car designed itself” and I think that is how a project like this should go.

The Camaro has awesome proportions in person… but I just don’t like the design. It looks dated already to me. The interior is also plasticy and I wish the shark gils were more than just sculpts.

The Mustang is a great update, I applaud their restraint, and in person, the update makes a big impact.

AAARRRrrrrgggh.

Does anyone have any insight as to WHY they couldn’t have stayed true to the concept version of the back end?

It really looks as though the engineering team took over and said “it’s harder to do a spline curve as opposed to straight lines with rads added to it”.

That subtle detail completely destroys the backend. Not to mention the build quality in the production shot is less than ideal. That trunk is off by a full centimeter at least.

Challenger hands down. They nailed the balance between retro and modern, expressiveness and restraint.

I have to agree with YO. I had an 03 Mustang Gt for a few years. It was a fun car to drive but, the lines were not as nice as the Challengers.

GURU