which one to choose?

So I’m in the process of applying to a design school. I can’t decide if I want to major in Interior or Industrial Design. While I really love personal shopping and designing spaces… I’m drawn to the idea of designing furniture and accessories.

I also plan to minor in Sustainability. After talking with my advisor I was told that I can only be LEED certified in Interior Design.

Career wise - what degree can allow me to do the most?

any suggestions?

try posting in the students n school section.

A degree in interior design qualifys you to be an interior designer.

A degree in industrial design teaches you the skills to do anything from web design, graphic design, CAD jockey, product design, and frankly even a bit of interiors.

I did an interior project while in school as a collaboration with the interiors group. There are a lot of functional crossovers when talking about ID, interior design and architecture. It’s the same way many architects design furniture, silverware, etc.

There are a lot of functional crossovers when talking about ID, interior design and architecture. It’s the same way many architects design furniture, silverware, etc

very true.
I am right now involved in a Vitra sponsored project at my school even though I am in Product design.
Look at people like Marc Newson, Stephen Burks, Yoshioka… all industrial designers with a very strong exhibition and interior design skill set.

I would go for the ID undergrad and then maybe for an Interior Masters. I am actually thinking about that myself.

My simple opinion is if you are interested in form, go to ID. If you are interested in space go to interior or architecture school.

By the way, it might be helpful to also think about what kind of industry you want to work with, what kind of educational degrees are required. Of course, design is design, but the different is how to get into the right industry that encourage you to achieve your long term goal.