Which Language is more relevent?

Hi Guys

I have been meaning to start learning either Mandarin or Cantonese for the past 7 years due to my interest in Kung Fu/Buddhism. Since being a design student and seeing how involved China is within the design world, learning Chinese seems even more of a worthwhile endeavour.

I have always been strung between Mandarin and Cantonese. I personally like the idea of learning Mandarin (and understand it better atm) but I have some friends saying it would be better to learn Cantonese.

So in terms of the design world, which do you think would be more beneficial?

Cheers

Craig

Every Chinese person I have talked to on this subject here in Vancouver (and there are a lot), tells me Mandarin. 10 years ago (or so) when Hong Kong was still independent it was more of a 50/50 split.

My partner, who speaks Cantonese, says he would prefer to know Mandarin as it would give him more flexibility.

[quote=“CraigDrummond”]Hi Guys

I have been meaning to start learning either Mandarin or Cantonese for the past 7 years due to my interest in Kung Fu/Buddhism. Since being a design student and seeing how involved China is within the design world, learning Chinese seems even more of a worthwhile endeavour.

I have always been strung between Mandarin and Cantonese. I personally like the idea of learning Mandarin (and understand it better atm) but I have some friends saying it would be better to learn Cantonese.

So in terms of the design world, which do you think would be more beneficial?

Cheers

Craig[/quote]

learn mandarin as a) more people speak it b) living on Hong Kong for 9 years i can tell you that in the workplace most people can speak english, this is def not the case in china.

Learn Mandarin, there are far more speakers. (it will also be easier, since mandarin has 4 tones and I believe that Cantonese has 8 tones).

Regards from Taipei!