Which creative entrepreneurship course?

De Montfort University: Design Entrepreneurship
Goldsmiths: Creative and Cultural Entrepreneurship
London College of Communication: Enterprise Management for the Creative Arts
Manchester Metropolitan University: Enterprise in Art and Design
University for the Creative Arts: Creative Enterprise

I still have to visit the schools and ask students and tutors for a list of subjects, examples of business plans, etc. but the list is long, so maybe someone here can already give me some information?

A good course for me:

• alters perceptions of how business and creativity work together, in an open-minded way
  • has a business plan as a result
  • is part of a qualitative creative department

I’ve heard good things about Goldsmiths, I don’t know about the course though as it is the first year they organise it.

Have you heard of the Stevens Instute at the University of South California?

I only looked into Belgian, Dutch and British courses because of their reasonable fees for EU-residents (and Dutch/English instruction language).
But thanks for the tip anyway, or was that a question?

Lol :slight_smile:
Sorry , i guess i was not really addressing your question with my answer… and DO NOT have the answer.

I 've read some about the topic though, It depends:
Do you already have a design background/education, and would like to polish your entrepreneurial skills, or do you have an entrepreneurial spirit and are interested in a design approach to developping business models?

I only heard about the program at London College of Communication and i got the idea it was more for the first category: designers/artist or people who are in a design related business.

There are a lot of articles about design approach to business on the Business week website, and about different programs, some about European ones so i suggest you search their web site.

A few weeks ago i read this on Business week, somewhat the same as what you wrote:

"
How to Choose a School for Entrepreneurship

B-school offerings in entrepreneurship are proliferating. Keep in mind the following factors when deciding which program is best for you:

Does the program have institutional support?
A great entrepreneurship program should have the backing of the university, from the president down. That ensures funding—important for still-developing programs—and facilitates interactions among the B-school and other parts of the university, such as the engineering school or the medical school.

Who teaches the classes?
You’ll want to be taught by faculty members who have experience both doing and teaching entrepreneurship. Academics with no street experience won’t be able to impart important real-world lessons. Also, remember that grizzled business vets may tell great stories, but that anecdotal evidence only goes so far. You should also look for depth and breadth in coursework.

Does the school have a dedicated entrepreneurship center?
If so, chances are you’ll have more resources and staff members to assist you in both course selection and career development. These centers often fill the void left by traditional career-services offices, which may or may not be able to help place MBAs who want to be entrepreneurs.

Does the B-school have a business plan competition?
Critics of such contests say the only thing they teach is how to win business plan competitions. That’s probably too harsh. Writing a plan is a valuable exercise for budding entrepreneurs. Plus, participating in—and especially winning—a competition gets you exposure to venture capitalists, who often serve as judges.

What hands-on experience will you get?
The best B-schools offer some combination of the following: opportunities to intern at local startup companies, ways to connect students with entrepreneur mentors, small business incubators, access to capital from alumni or from the venture-capital community.

Anyways… i wish you good luck in your search.

Thanks a lot for the extensive and useful reply!

Most of the courses I listed take both types of students, which I think is a good thing, but I guess the ones with a creative background are the majority. I’m in that last category but I’m also interested in a design approach to developing business models. The schools in BusinessWeek seem to focus on more generic MBA’s.

May I ask what your background/plans are?

You are welcome!
You should search the site more, they have a section on B-schools, But also one on Design schools, and lots of articles on the trend/epiphany of d-process in business.
I remember reading one about an IBM guy who started a program at a British University. I couldn’t find the link though

About me
I have a degree in Public Relations
Then went to Law School, I also started a company 2 years ago
I got the exclusive representation for importation and distribution of a brand of cosmetics ( perfume, cologne, lotion,etc) It was commercially successful…
But i got to a point where i felt it wasn’t doing it for me.
… just read this Fluffly Industrial Design VS Really good ID Schools.Mmmhh...

i had it bookmarked
but it seems i don’t know if you will apply

http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/content/oct2007/id2007104_419537.htm?chan=innovation_special+report+--+d-schools_special+report+--+d-schools