where to get the"$" from???

hi

had an ambition to study in the US of A. applied for MID at pratt. got the admission. but but where do i get all this money from. Man its so expensive :open_mouth:
answer me guys.

1. what are alternatives if i wish to take a students loan.
  2. if I join the school, is it possible for me to work part time and how much will i earn?
  3. what are the monthly expenses to be staying in New York city??
  4. How long does it usually take to complete the course??
  5. how much will i earn immidiately after completing the course.
  6. Are american institutes negotiable to decreasing the no. of credits??

hey man the one who reads till this last line must be really patient.
anyways.thanx

Talk to the school’s Finincail Aid Department for information on loans, work study, and cost of living.

If you decrease your number of credits it will just take you more years to complete the program. Why would they bring the total number down?

How much you make out of school depends on so many things. Where you decide to live, if you are any good, corporate or consulting firm…

thanx for your suggestion yo.
I need to know the minimum expectation(salary) a fresh ID graduate can have in USA, as I should have an idea of how I would be able to repay the loan.

I know of fresh ID salaries starting as low as 25k and as high as 55k, I think 35-40 is more the average.

It seems daunting at first but the repayment schedule is pretty reasonable, I paid mine off in about 5 years… my wife still has like $35k to pay though - :frowning:

hey yo did you work while you were studying?? if i work wud i be able to cover atleast my food shelter and stationary expenses.sorry to bother you again and again.

If you are a foreigner there is little you can do.

You can’t get student loans in USA
You cannot get financial aid
You cannot work as well other than related internships.
( You will be deported if they catch you and bar you from entering US for 5 years)

You can work on campus, which probably only pays for your daily bus fares.
You may be allegable for certain scholarships, they are rare.

In another words, USA government only like rich aliens.

There are so many that come over on student visas, I can’t imagine it is THAT hard, but I have no experience, so M.C. could very well be correct.

Look for scholarships, there are books that list them. that could get you started. Once your over here it gets easier. One of the best jobs I had was as a courrier for the University. Since I had to operate a state vehicle, I got what the called a 50% position(part time hours, fulltime benefits, including a tuition voucher)

hey, since you have to have a portfoilio anyway, send it to some of the firms in the area of the schools you want to attend, see if you can get a work study /internship with one of them… just some thoughts. Unfortunately, everything changed after 9/11. We had an Engineer go back to Indonesia for a wedding and get stuck there for 6 months!

You can find private loans usually requiring a local cosigner for foreign students. MBA programs often have without a co signer. This information will be available on your school’s site

2. if I join the school, is it possible for me to work part time and how much will i earn?
    you are not allowed to work except on campus for the first year on a student visa

3. what are the monthly expenses to be staying in New York city??

4. How long does it usually take to complete the course??

5. how much will i earn immidiately after completing the course.

6. Are american institutes negotiable to decreasing the no. of credits??
    the number of credits required to complete a degree is non negotiable

For internships, you only get 12 months in total. That includes master degree.

thank you all for your replies, they are really helpful.
some of you who have a architecture background could tell me which of the first semester courses at Pratt MID would be asome what repetition of what is been already learnt during architecture.

If you are from U.S, you can get lots of alternative loans from private education loan services. Beside FAFSA, you can also apply for Parents loan.
Credit card loans can be helpful only if you are in hurry.
Other than that, if you are not from U.S, apply for various international scholarships especially from your own country. I believe Pratt gives out very very few scholarships to graduate students who has high GPA, good work samples after the first year is over. I have seen two guys who are international students recieved the scholarship from MID. If you have architecture background and an international student, I heard about such fund-$1000 to $3000. Also talk to the department chair about this if you can.

1. if I join the school, is it possible for me to work part time and how much will i earn?

If you are in the school…basically you will loose money.
Beside the tuitions, you have to spend $$ for food, art supplies and transportation.
However there are other options. You can cook and bring food to school, bring art supplies from your country (if you are from Asia beside HK or Japan, art supplies are so much cheaper), make portfolio with brain-not money. You can make number of digital rendered portfolio, scaled models and real design house works if you can find an internship which you can use them as part of folio.

You can find part time as dog walker, nanny, filer, assistant, delivery person, waiter & etc. You can make from $8/hr to $15/hr appx.
If you can do graghic design, you can find some freelance jobs. Some people makes $400-$500 a day doing layouts. Design T-Shirts and such things will give you $50-$100 per project.
If you are super-duper talented, part time designer positions are everywhere in NYC. It is because they don’t pay part timers much and don’t have to provide insurances.

1. what are the monthly expenses to be staying in New York city??

If you have other contemporary Fine arts background, you can apply for international art studio programs. There are numbers of such programs in NYC which gives you a work space as grant, but you can stay there. PS1 is one of them. Clock Towel Program…etc.
Living cost in Brooklyn is bit high, especially near Pratt area.
There are lots of artists’ studios where poor artists live in work only space. Depressing?? Sorry.
Other cheap options are:
You can live in Jersey City, NJ , Harlem and Long Island City as other option. Rents are about as low as $600 to $1500.
If you find a roommate in the areas, it becomes 1/2 the cost.

Living near Pratt will cost you: in dorm-$800 plus a month. In single bedroom-$900-$1600+. With roommate-$300–$1000.

1. How long does it usually take to complete the course??

48 credits to 54 credits; 2 years to 2 and 1/2-for full time. The max credit you can take per semester is 12 and 6 for the summer.

1. Are american institutes negotiable to decreasing the no. of credits??

Perhaps you can. Bring the files and show them the reason why your credits must be decreased in the no. But I don’t think they will do it much.
If you have ID background, you can skip lot of MID reuirement classes-again, you must talk to them first.
[/quote]

NPK,
thanx your input is greatly appreciated

are there any international students in this forum who have applied for Pratt MID??

I too would love to study ID in the USA, being from South Africa, but there is no way that I can convert my measly Rands into enough US$ to study there - not even in the relatively affordable Univ. of Cincinnati (which would be my first choice), never mind the Pratt fees + living costs. I have done exhaustive searches all over the world - specifically focusing on the institutions that offer the best internship prospects - which I consider to be one of the most important components of a designers education, and I have basically written off the chance of being financially assisted with my studies in the States. I will have to look elsewhere and I suggest that you do too, or at least be more realistic in terms of the institution.

I recently found out that as a female, you can donate eggs for $8000.
A little pain and a little time. But if you are female, 21-33, healthy, no drugs ,no smoking, not over-weight, no family weird medical history… You might be able to made up to 21K for tuition fee.
Sorry… for guys, forget it, sperm is cheap…

does anyone know of any good resources for grants or scholarships for graduate level education… websites, organizations, etc? I already have a bachelor’s degree… which makes it more difficult to find this sort of aid. (USA born)

Heh heh! Love it Guest!

Heh heh! Love it Guest!

I take this to mean that finding grants/scholarships is not so simple.

I am sure that a lot of people are in the same boat… feeling a little overwhelmed by huge loans/ the cost of education.

Could someone maybe give some insight into what it is like after graduation… how do you deal with this debt. Does it affect your lifestyle? Do you feel burdoned? Or is the job market solid enough that you don’t feel you have to worry?

Sorry Guest, didn’t mean to be sarcastic. I was responding to the poster before you, who suggested donating eggs…

As for grants and scholarships, they are indeed difficult to obtain in any sizeable amount, even for US citizens. I can’t begin to imagine how foreign students pull it off.

I was completely overwhelmed with the size of my loan payments when I got out of school - the monthly interest alone on a ten year payback schedule was more than my apartment rent - way more than I could afford. For some reason at that time nobody was offering loan consolidation, so I went on “hardship status” for about a year, which allowed me to pay a small percentage of my monthly income. Unfortunately, the portion of interest I was unable to cover got added onto the principle, so my loans actually INCREASED while I was paying them back. It was depressing.

Then one sunny day everyone started beating down my door with loan consolidation offers (they STILL do), so I lumped everything into a 30 year repayment schedule which brought the payments way down. Now my approach is just to not think about it. I make the monthly payments and will continue to do so until I am 60. It was the only way I could go to school.

It may not be the most financially-savvy thing to do, but I would rather invest in my business, home, and retirement than put extra $ every month towards the principle.

Things are OK now, but the main negative result in the past was that I couldn’t just take a year off to travel, and I felt a lot of pressure to take less-interesting jobs rather than wait around for plums because I had to make those payments.

But these days it’s no longer important to me - I went to a great school and it was mostly worth it. What REALLY ticks me off is the cost of health insurance.

the best thing I can think of is to whore yourself. really…I mean it. you can make fast, non taxable cash that way.

that is how I paid for CCS…really