Where or how do you print you portfolio

I was just wondering where the working designers of this blog print their portfolios. As a student we all get our portfolios nice and then we go to a print shop or have a friend with a nice printer and we just print it out, but as you start working your portfolio starts to grow and if you are discipline you update it at least once a year. This can start to get expensive if you do not have the printer to do it.

My portfolio is in a 11x14 format and I do not have a home printer that prints that size. I do at work but I thought it would be a bit weird or even wrong to use my work resources to print my own portfolio. Do any of you have any suggestions? Have any of you been in this situation?

I bought an Epson 1280 specifically for that reason, 11x14 portfolio prints. That was a few years ago so I’m sure there are better models now but it’s a good investment to be able to do that on your own, also if you decide to freelance.
But then again, I’m coming from the days of $10 a piece fiery and iris prints so having my own setup inhouse was a no-brainer.

I have an Epson pro 3800 at work and I have to admit that I have done some printing of my portfolio there, but with all the updates and changing it around I can’t continue to do it forever.

I had the Epson 1280 as well in college, but sold it once I graduated. I haven’t touched my portfolio since - frankly I couldn’t legally put any of my current work in there anyways.

Using work supplies is probably against policy, but that doesn’t mean anyone will necessarily care if you do it in your off hours. Unless they view it as you doing it because you’re planning on leaving.

Theres always web portfolios.

I bought a Canon S9000 my senior year.
Supposedly does 13x19 borderless (never tried)

I do 11x17 with minimal order then take them into kinko’s to trim
down on their rotary cutters for free. I was using Epson matte photo
paper in the past, but have been diggin the Kodak Glossy, but it’s a
little pricier.

Just picked up a used Epson Stylus Photo 2200. Its in great shape and will print 13in wide and over 40in long. It also takes roll stock. It was a good find, as I got it for $100 with all new ink and tons of paper.

Wow, good catch. I never have good luck with used stuff (finding or quality).

I got it from my recently rtired boss. I trus him but I agree I have always been carefull with used stuff.

So far I have created 1 portfolio using Blurb.com in their largest format which is 11x13, it was 160 pages for under $100, hardcover, dust jacket, quality printed and bound. Copies show up within about 2 weeks. I would not go with the printed cover until they fix some quality issues.

The nice thing about it is how easy it is, you can now send them a .pdf instead of having to use their proprietary software (free).

This is really great, but I am all over the place with my portfolio and I tend to update it quite often. I like being able to have the flexibility of changing when I want and tailor it to the audience that will be reviewing it.

Greenman wrote:So far I have created 1 portfolio using Blurb.com in their largest format which is 11x13, it was 160 pages for under $100, hardcover, dust jacket, quality printed and bound. Copies show up within about 2 weeks. I would not go with the printed cover until they fix some quality issues.

The nice thing about it is how easy it is, you can now send them a .pdf instead of having to use their proprietary software (free).

This is really great, but I am all over the place with my portfolio and I tend to update it quite often. I like being able to have the flexibility of changing when I want and tailor it to the audience that will be reviewing it.

That is the downside of Blurb, when it’s printed, it’s printed. Since the work I do is fairly broad I divide my books into chapters like graphic design, ID, Exhibit, ect. It is great for archiving your work.

I go two ways-

1. More permanent portfolio booklet, that I print using a local print shop. Your best combo of quality and value will be if you can find a shop that uses the digital HP Indigo press (better than the standard Xerox Docucolor that Kinkos and most use, and can accept more variance in stock). I print normally only 10 or so at a time, and it comes in around $30 per booklet for a 8.5x11" 30 page saddle stitched book. Looks good and still cheap enough to be given away at important interviews. I update this about every 6-9 months. With Indigo printing you can also add things like spot UV or laminate that you can’t do on Docucolor digital. I do the layout for this in InDesign and then also can easily make a PDf version to send by email. Pages are fully laid out with text, pics, captions, etc.

Actually, I have two versions of this, slightly different, one for personal, and the other for business.

1. A constantly updated “process” book with the latest projects, things in progress and finished pieces. This is simply a MUJI 100 page a4 sleeve book, that I print pages on my home printer (Canon MP600) on 8.5x11 and can insert. Pages are full work samples (ie. no layout or text to describe the project). This is also a huge InDesign file that I try to update every month or so then can print and assemble as needed. Only thing I’m starting not to like is that if I want to insert pages into the middle I need to take out every page either before or after. This file I bring to interviews to show, but don’t leave it behind or email the contents (file is huge with 100+ pages)… people seem to love to flip through this as it’s very dense in visual material and a good browse and impressive collection of work.

I’ve looking for a more modular (ie. can insert and remove pages at will) solution for a while, but haven’t found anything as clean and simple as the MUJI binders which I like.

In addition, I also have a small teaser portfolio for my company that is a set of 6 connected (by perf) 4x6" cards that is a distilled version of the larger print booklet. I printed 500 for about $3 a piece. It’s traditional offset printed with a gloss UV coating on cardstock.

R

I have a Stainless Steel 11x14 Machina Portfolio case. It uses screw posts to keep everything in place. It is great because I have tons of extra pages, so if I need to put something in the middle I only have to change one page because.

Greenman, I checked out Blurb and it’s pretty sweet. I want to upgrade my updated portfolio to a bigger size (about 11x14) so their oversize landscape works perfect. Can you elaborate on the quality issues with the imagewrap? It was the option I was considering.

Also checked out Lulu.com for teasers/leave behinds, since they dont have anything big enough for the folio.

Anyone know of other self-publishing sites like these?

http://www.lulu.com/ is another

To those that publish their folios from lulu and blurb, do you just present EVERY project in there to every potential employer, even if they are different areas of design? Or is there some customization you do?

This is the dilemma i’m facing right now. Being forced to page through every project, or spend more and buy a portfolio and print and cut the pages to size so that I can customize the order for each interview.

Any sites with nice portfolio binders? The ones i’ve seen are the crappy black faux leather ones. I have a really nice metal one but its 8.5x11, and im looking for a landscape 11x14.

AH HA! Finally got my portfolio book from Blurb.com and my leave-behinds from lulu.com.

I have to say im very pleased with blurb. Resolution is decent, and overall presentation is sharp (I did the imagewrap hardcover on 11x14 size). I would do it again.

Lulu left me a bit disappointed. I did 9x7 5-page mini books that were saddle stitched. Size is perfect but their printing resolution sucked. It looked like I did it myself on an old printer. Maybe its the paper. Has anyone used lulu.com for an actual book? How did it go?

Here is the file I printed (the big one) for the folio if anyone wants to have a peek. and feedback is always welcome.

design-flux.com/josefigueroa

I’ve used Lulu for real books. If you call them real, and it went well.

I like 11x13 but I now use 11x17 so I can get good stock in tabloid size and go get it shot out at Kinko’s. I’d be up for trying an online print shop or a local bindery.