Where does the money go?

Does anyone out there think that spending two or three times the amount to go to pratt or parsons or any of those very expensive schools is getting that much more than a state ID program or a less expensive art school? I dont, know, thats why im asking. Has anyone attended both and found a Huge difference? I would be interested to know.

My school takes about $25k a year from us and I wonder where that goes too…

I got my degree from a university. Then, I ended up going to CCS to get some extra classes/skills. CCS was roughly $500 a credit hour and I can tell you that the quality of education was considerably higher. Alot of these schools, like Pratt, CCS, Art Center, etc specialize in art and design. That being the case they get some of the best professors in the field, not to mention much corporate sponsorship and involvement. The CCS automotive design program, for example, gets alot of involvment from the auto industry as it’s located in Detroit. You’re not only paying for a higher quality of education at these institutions, but also for a better shot at internships, contacts in the industry, and jobs out of school.

This isn’t to say that there aren’t public schools with good programs, there are, but you’ll have to dig around a little more to find the one that suits you and your budget. Location is also a factor to consider. If a public school with a design program is located near alot of industry there’s a better chance of industry involvment, unlike, say, Texas A&M which is literally in the middle of nowhere.

You will not like my answer.

Clearly, much of the money is used to pay salaries. HOWEVER, it doesn’t cost 25K to educated a kid unless there is an unusually small class size. Thus, I have also wondered where all the money goes.

Some of it goes to building maintenance and expansion. However, a good portion goes to scholarships! A number of kids are given either merit or need based awards. In essence, the kids from wealthier parents and who have “lessor” abilities are subsidizing the kids with less money or who have something that the school wants. For example, if a kids has little money but great talent, your money helps pay their tuition. If the school wants to promote more people into a specific major, you are paying for that. If the school wants more minorities under an affirmative action program for kids that don’t have the financial wherewithall, you are paying for that.

Schools are essentially being Robin Hood. They are robbing from you and subsidizing others. As bad as this sounds, it can be somewhat beneficial. It encourages more diversity and attracts some kids with really top talent that may not have attended this school without the scholarship. Top kids supposedly benefit the whole student population. At least that’s the theory.

Don’t forget about rent, cost of facilities (keeping up with the latest software/hardware) benefits for all the employees (administrative, security, janitors, building engineers as well as professors) advertising, etc. Its still a business.

Many instructors write grants that also bring money in.

From what I could tell at my school a lot of the doe went to … drum roll please… real estate. The school was constantly buying more property in a bid to own a large chunk adjacent to downtown. Dude, all I want is some education, cause they wouldn’t let me take the pretty buildings with me when
I graduated!

That is why I like Cleveland Institute of Art. It looks like a run down high school but there is some serious education going on. For a private art school it is dirt cheap, they spend the money on teaching you things. I have some co-workes that went there and they are freaking skilled.

Don’t be lured by the glossy campuses (or in my case the rustic modernized brick mill buildings), look at the potfolio’s of students coming out.