where are all the UK ID designers?

My company (a leading UK design consultancy) is currently advertising on Coroflot for ID designers and all we ever seem to get is a vast amount of oversees applicants (such as US based designers), which isn’t a problem so long as they have the necessary work Visa in place (which most often they don’t).

So my question is; where are all the UK based designers? Do they not read Coroflot? If not where are they looking?

Thanks,

PD_GB

http://www.designweek.co.uk/ seems more UK centric for design jobs… just from what I’ve seen so far.

Perhaps it’s because the majority of jobs listed on coroflot are not based in the UK, therefore drawing fewer UK designers to check it regularly. Having just had a peek at the 2 (!) UK jobs posted on coroflot your company would logically be either “alloy” or “thinkable studio”. Are you having difficulties finding staff? Having experienced a UK consultancy environment I find the system of job/speculative applications and hiring quite interesting, on average how many application would you say you received per day/week? Do you have a system of filing cvs/folios you like the look of for future reference?

In addition to Design Week, the jobs pages on http://www.dezeen.co.uk and http://www.iconeye.com should help.
Could you ammend your ad to include Visa requirements?

Are you from TheAlloy? Looks really interesting - will get an application in!

the only thing that stopped me applying was the relocation to ‘the Farnham area’ as I would want to commute from London but this made it sound that a question about where the applicant was planning to live would be asked in the interview with London probably not desirable (no doubt due to past experiences of employees unable/claiming to be unable to make it in due to problems on the trains)

For those that don’t know Design Week charge a small fortune to advertise (something like 6x the Coroflot rate) and having done it in the past we are unsure it produces any better results.

We always state Visa requirements but 9 times out of 10 people don’t read it, or if they do they ignore it.

On that note reading and doing as the advert asks is SO important but you’d be amazed at how many people don’t do it! If you can’t demonstrate it at the application stage how will you ever work to a brief or specification!

All I can say is it is not an easy commute at times but please don’t read too much into this.

I find the same as is true in my experience (across the pond!). It is amazing how people don’t read or ignore the simplest and most clearly stated requirements.

I used to look at Adrem when I looked for work in UK. http://www.adrem.uk.com

There are approx 5,000 ID design grads are year coming out of the UK, we would like to therefore like think we wouldn’t need to use a recruitment consultant to find ourselves some talent.

I agree, reading the requirements is a basic and very important. In briefs, job postings, everywhere.
However, I can see that designers, willing to relocate and desperately looking for a job, would apply to a position overseas without proper Visa documentation and then counting on that this will be solved with the company together later on. Hoping that the work is so strong despite the Visa issue. As a European in the US, you will never get a foot in the door if a company doesn’t give you a chance. I would a assume, it is the same or similar for US designers in the UK.

Personally, I think that stating that the Visa situation must be settled before the application means that the company is missing out on a lot of good portfolios and designers which could be very valuable to the company. But they wont send their portfolio because they respect the requirements. Finding good people is hard, filing some paperwork is easy.

Facebook then.

Assuming you are The Alloy, Adrem will give you what you want, but it will cost you, as you have to pay their ‘finders fee’. I saw the job on the coroflot site a few days ago - before this post - but must admit it’s not something I check regularly because there’s hardly ever any decent Uk jobs on it.

Given the current climate I think most people put much more weight than normal on considering whether to move or not and as stated, you’re (probably) based in Hampshire, which despite good links to London means anyone who gets a position with you would not be able to relocate easily if it all goes TU. Living in London and going for jobs in london means a change is easy. Despite living in London and commuting being possible, after a few months it would not be desireable. Graduates fresh out of college move easily, but 2-3 years down the line, when you’ve relocated once and have a good group of mates, partner etc and have experienced the difficulties of meeting new friends and settling in, it often influences your decision a bit more.

As you’re (probably) asking for someone with 2 years experience I’d suggest giving it a little more time as most graduates with 2 years experience (say 23-24 years of age) are probably in current employment and would want to get their submission right, so even if they saw the job during the week, they’d probably wait until the weekend before they finished work on it. I would have thought you’d get a lot more applications through next Monday than you will on Friday. The other option is to lower the limit - the trade off is less pay but also less experience, but if you choose and mentor them well you could get what you’re after in a year (might be worth starting a graduate scheme where you give work experience from what you see at new designers - Rodd ID also Hampshire based did something similar a while back). You’re not going to let someone with 2 years experience loose on their own project straight away anyway, because you’ll have to build up a level of trust.

The UK ID designers haven’t gone anywhere. Post the job up in other places, give it a few weeks and if it doesn’t go to plan, get a S’hot freelancer in.

There are quite a few UK designers on the boards here. You are more than welcome to post a link to your coroflot post. While we don’t allow jobs to be posted in here (as not to compete with coroflot which pays the bills), we do encourage posting coroflot links.

oh! and post your vacancy on LinkedIn

We are out here!

In fact I am surprised that you haven’t been inundated with applications. However I expect that Product Tank is right and that most designers who have been working for two years will not be looking to relocate, especially as they are still likely to be under 30 and will not feel that draw of countryfied Farnham in comparison to a bigger city. That said, I know many designers who graduated a couple of years back and are still looking for their big break - and I don’t mean those that graduated with mediocre degrees and who are failing to put in the effort. I’m talking about first-class graduates with a years internship who simply cannot break back into the industry. When you are asking for mid-level staff with 2+ years experience you may find many of these people are put off, especially as the job wouldn’t come up on a search for ‘Junior, Industrial Design’ on Coroflot.

It’s taken me a couple of years of freelancing, mainly in graphics and web because that is what I could get, before recently landing a job in Helsinki, thanks to a guy I worked for on my own placement year, that said, I still probably wouldn’t have applied because I would have felt under qualified.

I’d be interested to find what the main issue was with the UK applicants that did apply, was it simply that you only got a couple, or was the calibre of the UK applicants just not good enough?

I think Coroflot doesn’t come in to scope for most UK design job seekers…since a UK job only pops up very rarely…however when they do they are normally very good. I would also recommend Dezeen as it seems to have influx of regular UK job postings, and I would imagine it’s alot cheaper than design week. Big job seeking website s like monster & jobsite might be worth a stab as you would hope job seekers would have a email notifier. Come to think of it don’t you have a big record of all those folks who would have sent you a CV in the past on the scout for a jobs?

Even as your posting is a good opportunity your location is a bit detrimental as I imagine most young designers wouldn’t want to leave the big city or suffer a long commute…apart from if you lived next to Waterloo station or Richmond with a car. Perhaps offering some sort of flexitime or work from home deal would get more London designers to go for it.

In my experience, companies don’t keep old CV’s, they go out of date too quickly and a year down the line, its assumed that any really good people have already got a job. As an employer its a load of effort to trawl through old CV’s and cold call up past applicants to find out what they’re doing, far better to put up the new job and see what comes in.

To all potential applicants for any job: If you sent a CV to a company only a month ago and then see that they are advertising a new job, don’t assume they’ll have your CV, send in another, as in many cases a CV hangs around for a week before it finds itself in the shredder.

Harsh but true :wink:

Some good feedback thanks guys.

We have seen a few promising ones appear since this post began. It could be a coincidence but who knows…it could be viral marketing at play!

I think you hit the nail on the head, there!