When to start looking/preparing for a new job.

I am happily employed, but I am planning to relocate in more or less a year from now.

I have started doing some early footwork to get some contacts in the area, as well as introducing myself to some potential design firms.

my question is…when should I start looking “full time”?

How aggressive should I be right now? So far I’m keeping my tone very informal and non-committal (I don’t want to cause any confusion about how eager I am to get a new job at this time) but I worry that in the near future, that approach may be too soft and cause me to be overlooked.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks!

JK

i am always looking and my portfolio is always about 75% ready and udpated. there is no “full time” search. if you aren’t ready to interview at a week’s notice, you shouldn’t be looking.

good advice. i’ve told the same thing countless times to friends and colleagues, that even if happily employed they should make a routine of collecting their work and updating their portfolios every few months or after a major project. you never know when you will be looking (or be forced to look) for a new job, and should be ready to hit the ground running if a good opportunity or the need arises.

besides, starting a portfolio from scratch if you havent done so in years can be a daunting and huge task. complicated all the more if you dont have access to samples of your work for one reason or another (fired, moved, etc.).

R

Someone once told me that opportunities don’t come when you are ready, they come when they are ready. I’m also always updating, editing, adding to my folio. It is a good exercise as a designer. It helps you see where your weaknesses are and also areas that you have over developed. I feel it helps you to be a more focused designer, regardless of whether you are looking for a job.

Wow, now those are two great pieces of advice! Point definitely taken.

Thanks!